Sox Did Not Put in a claim on Kubel or Thome

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Not that I didn't root for him, but he's been in that situation for 1.5 yrs in my book.

I mean in what we'll be his final shot at a WS ring.

I wish he could have got to the Phillies.

Why do the Indians want Thome?

Are they in the race?

I'm thinking Sox and Tribe have pretty much been eliminated.

Cleveland was eliminated by losing all 3 to Detroit last week.

We were eliminated ... well you know when we were eliminated.

What is Cleveland doing?

Also, haven't Cleveland fans treated him really s***ty since he left town? This is going to be all time hypocritical again when he gets a standing ovation vs. the Royals.

I mean I know fans are puppets, but it seems pretty s***ty of management to show what buffoons Cleveland fans are. Now these fans, who booed him since he returned to the AL, now will cheer him madly cause he's wearing a Cleveland uniform?

Nonsensical and makes the Tribe fans look very bad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
I don't like a situation where I can't root for Jim Thome.

You can....unless your competitive fire to want the Sox to finish 2nd and not 3rd is too strong to allow it. Anyone who still thinks the Sox are still in the race is delusional.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
There's a reasonable chance that if he doesn't retire, he'd wind up in the boat of no one offering him a major league deal.

Do you really think so? I guess he is pretty much limited to AL only and part-time DH at that because of his back issues. There was a day when a premier pinch hitter was valued ala Smokey Burgess but not anymore I guess

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
Do you really think so? I guess he is pretty much limited to AL only and part-time DH at that because of his back issues. There was a day when a premier pinch hitter was valued ala Smokey Burgess but not anymore I guess

in case you missed it, I posted in another thread.. a co-worker of mine is friends with JT's family, he said Jim is retiring after this year....

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)

Those were the days when you starter went 8 or 9 innings no questions asked, and you didn't need a six-man bullpen, so you had space for guys like that.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)

In the NL...a premier pinch hitter can still be useful...but it's a severe weakness if said pinch hitter can't play the field because you can't double-switch. So you wind up with wonderful things like Kotsay playing center field for the Brewers (happened repeatedly this season) or Giambi coming in at 1b for the Rockies.

In the AL, the only way a guy could last as a part time DH and pinch hitter is if the team has another part time DH who is also useful in the field (Think Andruw Jones for us last year). In that case, the part time DH is just taking up the normal DH roster spot.

Otherwise, you just can't afford it with 4 roster spots for backups.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
The supposed deadline was noon today, and gathering from the lack of chatter, I think Kenny wasn't lying about not claiming Kubel.

Or he just put in a blocking claim so that Kubel couldn't be traded to a rival.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
Something would be out there if that was the case. Pretty much every other deal that fell apart has been well covered. There was nothing on this one.

Well then who claimed Kubel? I'm sure plenty of other teams could have used him.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
in case you missed it, I posted in another thread.. a co-worker of mine is friends with JT's family, he said Jim is retiring after this year....

I did miss it. Jim Thome is a class A guy and a baseball star. It was great when he was with the Sox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Those were the days when you starter went 8 or 9 innings no questions asked, and you didn't need a six-man bullpen, so you had space for guys like that.

This is true. Four man rotations and not uncommon for 10 to 20 CG's a year from a starter

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Source: White Sox did not, in fact, place a claim on Jason Kubel. Which makes more sense on the part of CWS, who didn't block Thome,either

Excellent reporting by all the world.