"I hope we don't get swept by the Tigers"

Quin

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 04:13 AM)
It's amazing to me in the face of another September when "our fate was in our hands" and we fail miserably, how many people are willing to give our leadership a pass. You all don't want to win as much as being proud of being non confrontational.
Ozzie is plenty confrontational and he clearly didn't translate that into wins.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
i hope ozzie is back next year ^_^

You're still in Ozzie's camp, Melissa?Even after all these years of a high payroll but fail team?

I love Ozzie as a personality but not as a manager.Thank you for 2005 but let's move on.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
You're still in Ozzie's camp, Melissa?Even after all these years of a high payroll but fail team?

I love Ozzie as a personality but not as a manager.Thank you for 2005 but let's move on.

i dont think its his fault this team blows(dunn,rios,morel,beckham,etc) and im not saying hes the smartest guy but hes not that stupid. he sure looked smart in 05. but at the end of the day its on the players. and who got these crap players? kw. do i think its kw's fault dunn blows? no. but i would make him accountable for this mess before ozzie. basically what im trying to say is that i think the sox can successed with ozzie as manager with some new changes (players,coaches) and i dont see that there are many better options out there. some names ive heard, like brenly, sandberg, cora,valentine, please, ill take ozzie.

>unless we could get martinez, i rather stick with ozzie

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Because I never saw him strike out or give up an earned run.

Let me ask you this hypothetical...if the players did everything right on a franchise and the manager did everything wrong...from bad decisions on the field to making sure players were ill prepared for games, whatever you could imagine...wouldn't that same standard hold true?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Let me ask you this hypothetical...if the players did everything right on a franchise and the manager did everything wrong...from bad decisions on the field to making sure players were ill prepared for games, whatever you could imagine...wouldn't that same standard hold true?

He's a teacher... of course it is the players faults and not the managers ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)

If you really want to discuss a hypothetical extreme than I would rather the players did everything right and the manager do everything wrong than the manager do everything right and the players do everything wrong. No amount of managing will compensate for players having a season worst than their harshest critics would imagine. In the AL I place the mangers influence as less than 5% of the total. Maybe a handful of games.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
If you really want to discuss a hypothetical extreme than I would rather the players did everything right and the manager do everything wrong than the manager do everything right and the players do everything wrong. No amount of managing will compensate for players having a season worst than their harshest critics would imagine. In the AL I place the mangers influence as less than 5% of the total. Maybe a handful of games.

The obvious question in reply is...what makes a series of guys repeatedly have their worst seasons in their careers?

From your standard, the manager is useless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
He's a teacher... of course it is the players faults and not the managers ;)

Please check your grammar notes and post again. :lolhitting

Was Oz really responsible for 10 losses this season? Five?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
The obvious question in reply is...what makes a series of guys repeatedly have their worst seasons in their careers?

From your standard, the manager is useless.

Which is as accurate as saying by your standard players are useless.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Was Oz really responsible for 10 losses this season? Five?

If you watched this team this season...

Did they come to the season prepared to play?

(My answer...look at April's record).

Did they regularly come into big games ready to play?

These are 2 things that are directly within the manager's sphere of influence.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Sox went into Detroit struggling and the Tigers had been winning. They are a real good team and playing on thei turf. Ozzie didn't say anything wrong. We just got steam rolled is all

Sox had won five of their last six coming into Detroit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
If you watched this team this season...

Did they come to the season prepared to play?

(My answer...look at April's record).

Did they regularly come into big games ready to play?

These are 2 things that are directly within the manager's sphere of influence.

Who is "they"? Do you mean players? Guys that have been playing at the highest levels for years. Suddenly Dunn and Rios don't know how to get ready for a game without a manager telling them? I'm not saying Ozzie doesn't deserve his share of the blame. he's had a season almost as bad as Dunn and Rios. But his craptastic season wasn't nearly as big as problem as the craptastic seasons from major pieces of the team. You've been watching Bad News Bears too much if you think a manager can somehow make up for Dunn playing like a guy that should be a low draft pick in AA. I agree it's time for an organizational shake up, but the next guy is going to inherit the same pile of crap, and if that pile of crap doesn't change, the results will be the same.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Wait a minute. You just said the Sox were struggling going into the Detroit series. fathom just destroyed you and now you're saying that was then? lmao. You're killing me.

I loved his quote asking Tex if he wanted to take it from here. Take all the bulls*** away from the post and I read, "Well, fathom just destroyed me, anyone want to cover my ass while I get the hell out of here?"

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
Who is "they"? Do you mean players? Guys that have been playing at the highest levels for years. Suddenly Dunn and Rios don't know how to get ready for a game without a manager telling them? I'm not saying Ozzie doesn't deserve his share of the blame. he's had a season almost as bad as Dunn and Rios. But his craptastic season wasn't nearly as big as problem as the craptastic seasons from major pieces of the team. You've been watching Bad News Bears too much if you think a manager can somehow make up for Dunn playing like a guy that should be a low draft pick in AA. I agree it's time for an organizational shake up, but the next guy is going to inherit the same pile of crap, and if that pile of crap doesn't change, the results will be the same.

And when multiple expensive pieces come to the same team and have craptacular seasons, well, we just throw up our hands in frustration and say that there was nothing that could have been done?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Tex, want me to take it from here? Cause I agree with you

lol. Thanks but a 1,000 posts that Oz sucks and should be fired versus two that it ain't all his fault is about right :P

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
And when multiple expensive pieces come to the same team and have craptacular seasons, well, we just throw up our hands in frustration and say that there was nothing that could have been done?

No not at all. There is plenty of blame to go around, including the players in question. Is there a manager in the world that you would give a pass to and then blame Dunn and Rios?

Oz 10% Players 90% is about my assessment.