The Misconception Thread

Quin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just playing Devil's Advocate back.

Guillen and KW are equally responsible for Swisher, IMO.

It was never a good fit, with Ozzie, or the entire veteran-led clubhouse.

KW knew bringing in both Cabrera and Swisher would lead to some volatility. If he didn't anticipate it, he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
I was just playing Devil's Advocate back.

Guillen and KW are equally responsible for Swisher, IMO.

It was never a good fit, with Ozzie, or the entire veteran-led clubhouse.

KW knew bringing in both Cabrera and Swisher would lead to some volatility. If he didn't anticipate it, he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

And it was up to Ozzie to steer the ship, but the importance of his ego trumps all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
So Ozzie is an entertainer, more like Lady Gaga or Rush Limbaugh in leveraging his own brand to personally enrich himself?

I'll buy that.

Yes. Exactly. He markets himself well, and clearly that's the direction he's been taking his brand the last 3-4 seasons with the tweeting, the proposed website... he wants to create a Guillen-family legacy far beyond managing and playing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Yes. Exactly. He markets himself well, and clearly that's the direction he's been taking his brand the last 3-4 seasons with the tweeting, the proposed website... he wants to create a Guillen-family legacy far beyond managing and playing.

I can see an Osbournes-esque reality t.v. show not too far in the future...

Loria will like it, as long as it makes him more profit.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
Ozzie wasn't fired. He quit to get more money so he wouldn't die poor.

Kenny offered to stand down.

Cora was never going to be interim.

Cowley isn't a journalist.

Greg Walker was responsible for the hitters to a degree.

Feel free to add to it.

We should seriously consider Terry Francona as manager but won't for a variety of no good reasons.

Bob

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
We should seriously consider Terry Francona as manager but won't for a variety of no good reasons.

Bob

I think he will be seriously considered because if he wants to manage this year the sox will consider him.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
As I just posted in another thread, I don't buy the whole Ozzie quit because he wanted more money claim.. I think that it was already discussed that they wouldn't be extending him past what they already had done, and even furthermore I think it went a little more into the you're probably going to be fired territory.. If the reports are true, which I tend to believe based on how quickly the compensation came up, they had already been in talks with the Marlins about this before Mondays events even happened.. I honestly believe that instead of being fired Ozzie preferred to make it look like he got out of here on his terms.. Instead of just being fired, or let go, he chose to ask to be released and then went on his little rant that he doesn't care about anything but money..

I don't remember ever getting that kind of vibe from Ozzie before, and like its already obvious to see he wasn't going to be returning anyway if you piece together everything we know about the situation.. This way, instead of being fired it makes it look like he was the one who wanted out and not the White Sox who were ready to move on from the Ozzie era.. Also, the fact that it just kind of happened out of nowhere with two games left in the season, I tend to believe that he was informed he wasn't going to be back next year and instead tried to spin it that he no longer wanted to be here anymore.. I think that he DID want to return here, but obviously the feelings weren't mutual.. Ozzie is definitely the kind of person who would take it personally especially with his relationship with KW and knowing that he was being brought back and Ozzie was the one getting let go..

I feel sorry for the handful of Marlins fans down there.

Imagine hearing your incoming manager doesn't care about championship rings - all he's about is money.

On the job three days and Guillen is already a public relations nightmare in Florida.

Buyers remorse is probably starting to creep in.

You might see Oz on Fox by the All Star break.

Edited by mcgrad70

I'd like to say, you can't say, Ozzie's never acted like this before. How many times since '05 did he say he was thinking about quitting or that he should quit or that he would. Hell, in '05, I remember during the end of the season, he said he would quit after the season. Ozzie has wanted to escape, and finally came out with the real reasons why. He wanted to be in Miami and he wanted more money.

It was clearly time for Ozzie to go. However, it is and always will be the players fault that they had a terrible season. With the talent the Sox have, a retarded monkey should've been able to manage them to a Division title.

Just go back to Thome, when he was here. He was to much of a chump to lay the ball down the third base line, when the shift was on. The Sox players need to play team ball. If they do, then we'll have a chance.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
I'd like to say, you can't say, Ozzie's never acted like this before. How many times since '05 did he say he was thinking about quitting or that he should quit or that he would. Hell, in '05, I remember during the end of the season, he said he would quit after the season. Ozzie has wanted to escape, and finally came out with the real reasons why. He wanted to be in Miami and he wanted more money.

Most people find it hard to accept that most people in sports are in it for the money. Why do NFL players sign with the Redskins as oppose to signing with the Patriots at league minimum?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Most people find it hard to accept that most people in sports are in it for the money. Why do NFL players sign with the Redskins as oppose to signing with the Patriots at league minimum?

Yep. How about Dawson wanting to go in to the Hall as a Cub instead of an Expo. All about money Could say the same about Fisk choosing to go in as a Red Sox over the White Sox. Only think that might save him would be the game 6 homer. Not sure it really does though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Yep. How about Dawson wanting to go in to the Hall as a Cub instead of an Expo. All about money Could say the same about Fisk choosing to go in as a Red Sox over the White Sox. Only think that might save him would be the game 6 homer. Not sure it really does though.

I can't figure out how this relates in any way to what I said. The organizations that signed and developed them should get the credit since the players spent a great amount of time having success in those organizations.

QUOTE (Crash73 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
It was clearly time for Ozzie to go. However, it is and always will be the players fault that they had a terrible season. With the talent the Sox have, a retarded monkey should've been able to manage them to a Division title.

Just go back to Thome, when he was here. He was to much of a chump to lay the ball down the third base line, when the shift was on. The Sox players need to play team ball. If they do, then we'll have a chance.

Thome was pretty "unselfish" when helping to lead the Twins to the AL Central championship last year when Morneau went down.

They never asked him to bunt, that I can recall.

Just had better players surrounding him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)

Except you would be wrong. 1993 has everything to do with that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
Ozzie wasn't fired. He quit to get more money so he wouldn't die poor.

Kenny offered to stand down.

Cora was never going to be interim.

Cowley isn't a journalist.

Greg Walker was responsible for the hitters to a degree.

Feel free to add to it.

I believe this has been overlooked in this thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
He chose it.

Doesn't matter, nor did it matter for Dawson. The Hall chooses, with the help of MLB. The player's preference is irrelevant. So the money argument is just silly in regards to those two and what hat they have in the Hall.

But I certainly agree that the way Pudge was dismissed from the White Sox was a factor in how he felt, and therefore what he would have wanted if he had a choice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Doesn't matter, nor did it matter for Dawson. The Hall chooses, with the help of MLB. The player's preference is irrelevant. So the money argument is just silly in regards to those two and what hat they have in the Hall.

But I certainly agree that the way Pudge was dismissed from the White Sox was a factor in how he felt, and therefore what he would have wanted if he had a choice.

The Hall chooses now. It wasn't always that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Boggs#Ha...ogo_controversy