The Misconception Thread

Quin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Can it be argued the second Swisher trade was Ozzie's fault because he forced Williams hand?

Yep, I put that one on Ozzie cause he couldn't handle him. Swisher's doing fine in big bad New York

I put the need for signing Dunn on Ozzie as well cause he had to get speed and defense out of his DH. If we have Thome in 2010 maybe we don't panic and realize you can't have f***ing Kotsay as your DH so we have to make a big move.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Can it be argued the second Swisher trade was Ozzie's fault because he forced Williams hand?

We should also blame the entire veteran clubhouse, too?

DeWayne Wise, for being on the roster to take his place?

What about Greg Walker and Steve Swisher, for him refusing to work with his own batting coach? Like the Rasmus situation in St. Louis, should Ozzie have forced him against his will to work with Greg "The Guru" Walker?

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 11:52 PM)
Ozzie quit. Oh, it was already mentioned, the rest is irrelevant.

Ozzie supporters, the 2-3 of you that are left, defend that s*** please. haha

I expect deflection of the question though

In defense of Ozzie, I think he is a good manager and will do well in Miami. However, he wore out his welcome here and it was time for him to go. He has a polarizing personality and he will always have a shelf life at any managerial position. He won't enjoy the same tolerance with Loria that he had with KW and JR. I see him in Miami no more than 5-6 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
We should also blame the entire veteran clubhouse, too?

DeWayne Wise, for being on the roster to take his place?

What about Greg Walker and Steve Swisher, for him refusing to work with his own batting coach? Like the Rasmus situation in St. Louis, should Ozzie have forced him against his will to work with Greg "The Guru" Walker?

I don't like Swisher either. I was just posing a question for debate, albeit loaded.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
One of the reasons I wanted Ozzie gone so we would stop b****ing and arguing about him.

Trust me. No matter who the manager is, until the end of time or the MLB goes belly up, any manager for any team will be b**** and argued about...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Swishers numbers by year (OBP and OPS):

.322 .768

.372 .864

.381 .836

.332 .743

.371 .869

.359 .870

.374 .822

Such a shame Ozzie hated him.

Maybe Swisher just needed....

1) To be surrounded by All-Stars at every position so his offensive game would pass by unnoticed

2) Not to be forced into the leadoff spot, which is at least 50% KW's fault because Cabrera wasn't a protypical leadoff hitter and Jerry Owens was doomed to fail...at least to objective scouts who had been following him since his Expos/Nationals days

3) A wind tunnel to the RF bleachers

In the end, it's still far from clear the Yankees will retain his services. We'll see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Trust me. No matter who the manager is, until the end of time or the MLB goes belly up, any manager for any team will be b**** and argued about...

Exactly.

Next season a few people might wait a few games before leveling the new manager, cause it'll seem like they are praising Ozzie or something, but the second guessing will be strong if the team stinks.

Or maybe everybody will turn on Kenny and he'll be the whipping boy.

I'll be able to take part in that as I despise him even though I give him credit for 05.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)

1) To be surrounded by All-Stars at every position so his offensive game would pass by unnoticed

2) Not to be forced into the leadoff spot, which is at least 50% KW's fault because Cabrera wasn't a protypical leadoff hitter and Jerry Owens was doomed to fail...at least to objective scouts who had been following him since his Expos/Nationals days

In the end, it's still far from clear the Yankees will retain his services. We'll see.

What All-Stars surrounded him in Oakland? Didn't he carry the Yanks for a while in the begining of 09 too?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Exactly.

Next season a few people might wait a few games before leveling the new manager, cause it'll seem like they are praising Ozzie or something, but the second guessing will be strong if the team stinks.

Or maybe everybody will turn on Kenny and he'll be the whipping boy.

I'll be able to take part in that as I despise him even though I give him credit for 05.

I have a feeling you're gonna be 10x more unbearable next year if they suck with a new manager.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Misconception: Ozzie was a good in-game manager.

Misconception: Ozzie was good for the image of the Chicago White Sox.

Misconception: Ozzie cares about you.

Misconception: Ozzie is in it for anything but money.

Misconception: Ozzie is not brilliant.

Phil Rogers called Ozzie, not KW, a "genius." (That was Marty on KW)

That must make it true, and empirically more true or valid than anything said on a messageboard or blog.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
Phil Rogers called Ozzie, not KW, a "genius." (That was Marty on KW)

That must make it true, and empirically more true or valid than anything said on a messageboard or blog.

I was serious in all of those statements. Ozzie is definitely brilliant. He managed to make himself a superstar in this whole ordeal, and despite being a failed manager for 3 straight years making his move to Miami big-time news while getting another $10 million. He's making money.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 06:24 AM)
I would love to see a well-written and well-thought out essay on this matter by one of the Ozzie supporters on this board.

But that will never happen...

What does it matter now? Game and season ovah! Let's move on. I don''t think anything with what has happened is going to change now. No reason to waste any energy over it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I was serious in all of those statements. Ozzie is definitely brilliant. He managed to make himself a superstar in this whole ordeal, and despite being a failed manager for 3 straight years making his move to Miami big-time news while getting another $10 million. He's making money.

So Ozzie is an entertainer, more like Lady Gaga or Rush Limbaugh in leveraging his own brand to personally enrich himself?

I'll buy that.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
He had PK, Dye, Thome, TCQ, Alexei in his one year here before we dumped him for nothing cause his sparkiness couldn't be handled.

But none of those guys were leadoff hitters, unfortunately. Except Alexei on Opening Day, I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)

Explain how he did in Oakland then if that's what you believe. Fact is Swisher was talented, enjoyed success prior to the Sox and after the Sox. Either way, I blame the Sox, for how the Swisher situation played out. I still don't understand how that '08 team didn't do better. Then again, I'm still wondering how '03 didn't win the World Series too.