2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
He had his highest ERA since 2007.

His ERA was also still 3.32 in his worst season since 2007.

He was really killed by defense though. In his entire career before this year he'd been credited with 1 unearned run. Last year...12.

Amazing stat about unearned runs...thanks!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Amazing stat about unearned runs...thanks!

You want to be amazed more? The White Sox gave up 41 unearned runs last year, 2nd fewest in the AL and 4th fewest in the MLB.

Matt Thornton, a reliever, gave up 29% of the White Sox unearned runs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
You want to be amazed more? The White Sox gave up 41 unearned runs last year, 2nd fewest in the AL and 4th fewest in the MLB.

Matt Thornton, a reliever, gave up 29% of the White Sox unearned runs.

As much as I love Buehrle, he probably gave up about 50% of the team total. I've said for a while that the guy is the king of allowing unearned runs to score.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
As much as I love Buehrle, he probably gave up about 50% of the team total. I've said for a while that the guy is the king of allowing unearned runs to score.

If rumor is true that he might go to the Marlins....then oh boy. They have some awful defensive players, and management won't be able to use a 6 man rotation to protect him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
If rumor is true that he might go to the Marlins....then oh boy. They have some awful defensive players, and management won't be able to use a 6 man rotation to protect him.

I'll be very disappointed if he signs in Florida. It doesn't make any sense with all of the things he's said in the past, except that it'd be the National League. He wouldn't have much of a chance to win there, it's much further from home than Chicago, and it probably wouldn't even net him more money.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
I'll be very disappointed if he signs in Florida. It doesn't make any sense with all of the things he's said in the past, except that it'd be the National League. He wouldn't have much of a chance to win there, it's much further from home than Chicago, and it probably wouldn't even net him more money.

And let's face it, Marlins fans are hoping for some HUGE names like Pujols, Prince or CC. If Buehrle is their "big name" signee, they won't be happy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)

It will drop him down my list a lot. There is no good reason for him to sign there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
And let's face it, Marlins fans are hoping for some HUGE names like Pujols, Prince or CC. If Buehrle is their "big name" signee, they won't be happy.

Are they really thinking they'll land some of those guys?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
The sad thing is, that was close. Anyways, 23 of the 29 are on two people. That is kind of amazing all by itself.

And that was in a really good year for Buehrle.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
They think they have a shot at Pujols or Prince

Ya, I wandered over to marlinsbaseball for the first time in a while(since 03 maybe?) during the Ozzie garbage and those two were definitely the hot topic over there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Only teams I see Pujols leaving Cardinals for are Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs. No way could I picture him going to a small market team.

I really don't see him going to the Cubs. Besides their budget constraints, I don't believe he'd go to the most hated rival of his team. It sounds cheesy, but I seriously don't think he'd do it. He'll just end up re-signing with the Cardinals after they win the World Series.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I really don't see him going to the Cubs. Besides their budget constraints, I don't believe he'd go to the most hated rival of his team. It sounds cheesy, but I seriously don't think he'd do it. He'll just end up re-signing with the Cardinals after they win the World Series.

The Cardinals simply won't be signing Mark unless he's close to the league minimum.

Either they're blowing $28 million a year on keeping a fairly good 1b or they're rebuilding.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Only teams I see Pujols leaving Cardinals for are Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs. No way could I picture him going to a small market team.

The one thing I will say here is that teams like the Tigers and Nats have set the precedent here...throwing a ton of money out of the blue at someone to establish credibility or whatever else it is they're looking for with their fans.