MLB CBA Thread

southsider2k5

What I find fascinating is how the agents seem to have been in the dark, and not a part of this negotiation.

My understanding is Scott Boras has been on radio, ripping the new CBA.

It sounds like he did not know what was coming, or if he did he did he could not influence it.

I am pro union, but if Boras is losing some of his influence in baseball, then this is a good thing.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HGH testing is great, though it sounds like it is pretty restricted, at first.

Surprised no one is talking about the 26 man roster for Double Headers and other special circumstances - thought that was a pretty big deal, and it makes a lot of sense. I assume the 26th man must be on the 40.

The draft stuff is a little confusing, but overall, anything moving towards hard slotting or similar is good for baseball in the long run (and even better for the Sox).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Scott Boras says MLB should award draft picks based on revenue, not wins, and alllow teams to trade picks. That would be crazy fun dynamic.

In this scenario, Tampa Bay would end up in the top 5-10 every single year simply because they can't get people to their ballpark, success be damned, for any number of reasons. Also, if owners cared solely about winning opposed to simply making money (which is rarely the case, though those who do own I'm sure would still like to win), this would actually encourage them to NOT spend on their team, their stadium, or in marketing. If you want to keep people from coming to your game, don't advertise whatsoever (beyond any floors that the MLB Marketing Department requires of you), hire the cheapest, worst marketing people possible ("Toronto: ReBuilding, ReTooling, ReEnerJAYizing"), fill your team with absolute nobodies and pre-arbitration players (like the Marlins did a few years back) but, with an assumed salary floor, you'd still see NBA-esque contracts given out to undeserving players to meet those requirements (though the Dodgers pretty much have the market cornered on that right now), and you'd charge $50 to park (Sox are halfway there!). Oh, and it completely destroys any incentive in getting a new stadium because, even though I'm sure the Twins and Marlins could find a way to mess it up, they are going to have fans attending those games pretty regularly still for the next 5 years even though they could very easily have terrible teams.

It's fun to think about, but in this case, diverting from the norm simply is not a good idea. KISS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
JeffPassan Jeff Passan

The slots for the Nos. 1-4 picks in the draft are going to be $7.2M, $6.2M, $5.2M and $4.2M. Teams are not, however, required to spend that.

JeffPassan Jeff Passan

The team picking first, for example, can take a player No. 1 overall for $4M and spread the remaining $3.2M out over other picks.

And thus, teams can still find ways to spend overslot later on. If Houston were to find a guy they love, they'll spend the $7.2 mill. If, instead, they find two guys they really like instead of that one stud, they can take one of them #1 and spend said $4 mill and then budget the rest accordingly for the remainder of their top 5 picks. I haven't read the fine print, so I assume there will be slot values for all picks in rounds 1-10 and then it seems the limit is $100,000 from round 10 and beyond with anything over $100k being taxed/accounted for 100% towards their overall ceiling (thus, as I understand, a $120k bonus only costs that actual number, but an additional $20k will be tacked on towards the cap, but maybe they do have to pay that $20k? I'll have to read the fineprint, but I'd hate to be an accountant for an MLB team).

I haven't seen anything about penalties for going over those slots though, just the draft cap. Maybe I have missed it, which, with everything that's come out, is entirely possible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
In this scenario, Tampa Bay would end up in the top 5-10 every single year simply because they can't get people to their ballpark, success be damned, for any number of reasons. Also, if owners cared solely about winning opposed to simply making money (which is rarely the case, though those who do own I'm sure would still like to win), this would actually encourage them to NOT spend on their team, their stadium, or in marketing. If you want to keep people from coming to your game, don't advertise whatsoever (beyond any floors that the MLB Marketing Department requires of you), hire the cheapest, worst marketing people possible ("Toronto: ReBuilding, ReTooling, ReEnerJAYizing"), fill your team with absolute nobodies and pre-arbitration players (like the Marlins did a few years back) but, with an assumed salary floor, you'd still see NBA-esque contracts given out to undeserving players to meet those requirements (though the Dodgers pretty much have the market cornered on that right now), and you'd charge $50 to park (Sox are halfway there!). Oh, and it completely destroys any incentive in getting a new stadium because, even though I'm sure the Twins and Marlins could find a way to mess it up, they are going to have fans attending those games pretty regularly still for the next 5 years even though they could very easily have terrible teams.

It's fun to think about, but in this case, diverting from the norm simply is not a good idea. KISS.

And thus, teams can still find ways to spend overslot later on. If Houston were to find a guy they love, they'll spend the $7.2 mill. If, instead, they find two guys they really like instead of that one stud, they can take one of them #1 and spend said $4 mill and then budget the rest accordingly for the remainder of their top 5 picks. I haven't read the fine print, so I assume there will be slot values for all picks in rounds 1-10 and then it seems the limit is $100,000 from round 10 and beyond with anything over $100k being taxed/accounted for 100% towards their overall ceiling (thus, as I understand, a $120k bonus only costs that actual number, but an additional $20k will be tacked on towards the cap, but maybe they do have to pay that $20k? I'll have to read the fineprint, but I'd hate to be an accountant for an MLB team).

I haven't seen anything about penalties for going over those slots though, just the draft cap. Maybe I have missed it, which, with everything that's come out, is entirely possible.

http://www.chicagonow.com/white-sox-observ...-the-white-sox/

Its not worded well, but it is for going over your entire draft allotment, not for one particular draft pick.

The cap essentially constitutes hard-slotting for draft bonuses, with furiously heinous penalties for exceeding the cap. Penalties start with a 75% tax for going 5% over slot, and then a sliding scale that leads up to a 100% tax and two lost 1st round picks for going over 15% over slot.

jimcallisBA Jim Callis

#mlbdraft changes looking more dire. Just heard from club exec who said pool for first 10 rounds closer to $180 mil than reported $200 mil

52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jimcallisBA Jim Callis

More from exec: If you don't sign a pick, you lose his cap value. You can't not sign 1st-rder & spend his $ elsewhere. #mlbdraft

51 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
jimcallisBA Jim Callis

#mlbdraft changes looking more dire. Just heard from club exec who said pool for first 10 rounds closer to $180 mil than reported $200 mil

52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jimcallisBA Jim Callis

More from exec: If you don't sign a pick, you lose his cap value. You can't not sign 1st-rder & spend his $ elsewhere. #mlbdraft

51 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow-that's shocking that's included.

This from MLB: Interesting new twist on teams going over Draft Salary Cap.

There's another wrinkle to this. These lottery picks can be traded. That's right, for the first time in Major League history, Draft picks can be dealt. But there are a series of conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season.

Teams eligible for '13 Lottery

Arizona D-backs Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians Kansas City Royals

Oakland Athletics Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego Padres Tampa Bay Rays

Cincinnati Reds Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

The lottery, it seems, has been designed to help small-market and lowest-revenue clubs gain more talent not just because they had a poor season. Many of the smaller-market clubs were proponents of a system with hard slotting. While that hasn't happened, this current system is designed, with this lottery a part of it, to give those clubs a competitive advantage compared to the status quo.

There is one other lottery, one for picks forfeited by teams going over their allotted bonus pools. Any team going five to 10 percent over its pool gets taxed at 75 percent and loses a first-round pick. Anyone going 10-15 percent over gets hit with a 100-percent tax and loses a first- and second-round pick. Anything over 15 percent means a 100-percent tax and loss of first-round selections in the next two Drafts.

Any of those forfeited picks would go into a separate lottery. Any team that did not exceed its pool will be in that lottery. In this one, though, the odds are not just based on winning percentage, but on a formula of revenue and winning percentage.

• 2 weeks later...