All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
:lol: you've gotta be kidding. DaviD Luiz is such crap. He's not even the best CB on PSG. FIFA voting is absurd.

Silva got voted in, along with Lahm and Ramos as defenders. Silva I can see, but Luiz just makes no sense. It's voted on by the players, but you'd think they would know Luiz isn't exactly a good defender.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a top flight English club, how you rank each title in terms of importance? Does this sound right?

1. Premier League

2. Champions League

3. FA Cup

4. League Cup

Just watched the end of Middlesbrough winning at Man City and I guess Chelsea lost at home to a 3rd tier team, fun stuff to watch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
If you are a top flight English club, how you rank each title in terms of importance? Does this sound right?

1. Premier League

2. Champions League

3. FA Cup

4. League Cup

Just watched the end of Middlesbrough winning at Man City and I guess Chelsea lost at home to a 3rd tier team, fun stuff to watch.

FA Cup is important, but the money they win from it is nothing close to what they get in the BPL and CL. For big clubs, it's not that important.

I think winning the FA Cup gets you 2 million pounds. You get that for just advancing past the round of 32 in the CL.

The League Cup is a total joke for big clubs. They don't even play their best players for that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
Real Madrid has all of the money

In this case, it's actually for a need. Casillas' skills are degrading as he gets older. De Gea is pretty much ManU's defense and he's only 23.

It's not like when they bought James Rodriguez. That made no sense considering they already had Di Maria, Isco, Modric, and Kroos to play in the midfield.

Edited by chw42

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 7, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
Tottenham beats Arsenal on a late goal by Harry Kane. The kid is only 21 years old, a Spurs fan and has been tremendous this season. Great game.

He's probably the third best striker in the BPL right now (after Aguero and Costa).

Randomly ended up watching live the penalty shootout in the African Cup with Ivory Coast vs. Ghana. Ended up going 11 rounds, the Ivorian goalie blocked a shot from the other goalie, then scored the winning goal, doesn't get much better than that. First African title for them in 23 years, seems like they always underachieve, especially in the World Cup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
Randomly ended up watching live the penalty shootout in the African Cup with Ivory Coast vs. Ghana. Ended up going 11 rounds, the Ivorian goalie blocked a shot from the other goalie, then scored the winning goal, doesn't get much better than that. First African title for them in 23 years, seems like they always underachieve, especially in the World Cup.

I was flipping back and forth from that and the US-Panama match.

Crazy how it was 2-0 Ghana after the first two rounds of the PKs. Ghana choked that away.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
I was flipping back and forth from that and the US-Panama match.

Crazy how it was 2-0 Ghana after the first two rounds of the PKs. Ghana choked that away.

Ghana really sucks at PKs...Gyan missing the Suarez handball PK cost them a chance to go the semis in the 2010 World Cup.

FIFA just extended their broadcasting rights in the US to Fox and Telemundo all the way through 2026 out of nowhere. No bidding or anything. That's not shady at all. My guess is this is them saying sorry for f***ing you over with moving the 2022 WC into the winter so please don't sue us so here you go. Or Sepp Blatter is trying to curry favor with someone ahead of the May elections.

Bought my tickets for the Orlando City opener against NYFC!

They want to sell out the Citrus Bowl for the opener. That may be tough but they've sold over 30k tickets so far and have over 11k season ticket holders. Should be some fun times this season.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
Bought my tickets for the Orlando City opener against NYFC!

They want to sell out the Citrus Bowl for the opener. That may be tough but they've sold over 30k tickets so far and have over 11k season ticket holders. Should be some fun times this season.

Kaka, David Villa, and Frank Lampard. Should be fun.

I wish Xavi would come to the MLS. He's not getting any burn at Barca.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)

Lampard isnt going to NYFC until the summer.

I was excited last year thinking I'd see Donovan but he had to retire and ruin those plans.

The US was awarded the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying for Brazil 2016. I remember going to see the US-Cuba and Panama-Honduras double header in 2008. The US had Edu,Adu,Jozy,Sacha,Holden and a few other guys who made the senior team and still tied Cuba. But the best part was sitting about 5 rows behind the goal and watching the Cuban GK talking to fans the entire game. I dont know what was being talked about but the next night, he and about 5 others got out of their hotel and defected. lol

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Lampard isnt going to NYFC until the summer.

I was excited last year thinking I'd see Donovan but he had to retire and ruin those plans.

The US was awarded the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying for Brazil 2016. I remember going to see the US-Cuba and Panama-Honduras double header in 2008. The US had Edu,Adu,Jozy,Sacha,Holden and a few other guys who made the senior team and still tied Cuba. But the best part was sitting about 5 rows behind the goal and watching the Cuban GK talking to fans the entire game. I dont know what was being talked about but the next night, he and about 5 others got out of their hotel and defected. lol

But you'll get to see Steven Gerrard next year.

He's slowed down a bit this year, but even at age 35, I'd think he'd be pretty good at the MLS level.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)

I think Xavi comes to MLS eventually.

I really want to start following MLS closer this season so I hope the potential work stoppage doesn't come to fruition

Looks like the Qatar World Cup will officially be in November-December. Supposedly only one season for European leagues will be disrupted. I really hope American sponsors back out of this. I can't imagine them wanting to have to compete with the NFL here.

In Brazil, matches were played at 1pm/4pm/7pm local time. If they use the same schedule in Qatar, with the time difference, the last WC match of the day will be ending at 1pm ET, so no overlap with the NFL on Sundays and only one hour with CFB on Saturdays.

Could make for some epic weekends, with soccer matches running from 5am-1pm and football games running from 1pm-midnight.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
In Brazil, matches were played at 1pm/4pm/7pm local time. If they use the same schedule in Qatar, with the time difference, the last WC match of the day will be ending at 1pm ET, so no overlap with the NFL on Sundays and only one hour with CFB on Saturdays.

Could make for some epic weekends, with soccer matches running from 5am-1pm and football games running from 1pm-midnight.

Are they actually going to play the 2022 WC during the fall instead of the summer?

I mean, it makes sense, but it'll really screw with club play.

I can't believe PSG actually played better than Chelsea yesterday in the CL. It was in Paris, but PSG had more possession and way more shots. If it wasn't for Courtois saving Chelsea's ass time and time again, they could have easily lost 3-1.

Bayern also struggled to score against Donetsk in Ukraine. Alonso's gonna be suspended for the second leg of the round of 16.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)

I didn't look into the timing at all, but yeah those could be some great Sundays.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Are they actually going to play the 2022 WC during the fall instead of the summer?

I mean, it makes sense, but it'll really screw with club play.

Every single sign points to yes, and it should be official next week.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
I can't believe PSG actually played better than Chelsea yesterday in the CL. It was in Paris, but PSG had more possession and way more shots. If it wasn't for Courtois saving Chelsea's ass time and time again, they could have easily lost 3-1.

Bayern also struggled to score against Donetsk in Ukraine. Alonso's gonna be suspended for the second leg of the round of 16.

Chelsea looked awful. They scored their goal and were content to go home with an away goal in their pocket. I was surprised too, but PSG looked the much better side.

Bayern should be fine, but that was a surprising result as well. The little of the match I saw they didn't seem like they were really that worried about scoring