All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:26 AM)
Didn't know Moyes was that hated outside of overly entitled and spoiled United fans.

I really think it was the right decision. Even factoring in that it's a transitional period for the club, and that they had an awful summer with Ed Woodward overseeing his first transfer window, and an aging squad, that's no excuse for going from 1st to 7th. Even worse is the performance. You can forgive some poor results if there are signs of positive performances. But that just hasn't been the case. Last year Liverpool were disappointing under Brendan Rogers, but you could see exactly what his strategy was, and exactly what he was trying to do with that team. I cannot say the same about Moyes. He seems very defensive, more concerned with stopping opponents than trying to win games, it feels. Perhaps naive tactically too, no power, pace or creativity to United's game, they simply bang some crosses into the box and hope someone gets on the end of them, very one-dimensional and therefore easy to play against. And that's been the case more or less from his first game to his last. No signs of progression or improvement.

As for a successor, I really like Jurgen Klopp. Love the way he has set up his Dortmund teams. Exciting attacking sides full of creativity and purpose.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)
I really think it was the right decision. Even factoring in that it's a transitional period for the club, and that they had an awful summer with Ed Woodward overseeing his first transfer window, and an aging squad, that's no excuse for going from 1st to 7th. Even worse is the performance. You can forgive some poor results if there are signs of positive performances. But that just hasn't been the case. Last year Liverpool were disappointing under Brendan Rogers, but you could see exactly what his strategy was, and exactly what he was trying to do with that team. I cannot say the same about Moyes. He seems very defensive, more concerned with stopping opponents than trying to win games, it feels. Perhaps naive tactically too, no power, pace or creativity to United's game, they simply bang some crosses into the box and hope someone gets on the end of them, very one-dimensional and therefore easy to play against. And that's been the case more or less from his first game to his last. No signs of progression or improvement.

As for a successor, I really like Jurgen Klopp. Love the way he has set up his Dortmund teams. Exciting attacking sides full of creativity and purpose.

Liverpool wasn't disappointing last season. Their younger pieces from that team have improved this year.

I'm not saying Moyes shouldn't go, but to hate the man enough to say he should eat s*** is extreme unless you're a United fan. If you're a United fan, you deserve several more of these seasons. Being in the top 4 so regularly is unnatural, you can "suffer" with only being above average for a year without crying about it like it's the worst thing ever. Man U's roster coupled with injuries wasn't a top four team. Getting in the top four has never been tougher with six other teams spending big and not being in rebuilding mode like Liverpool was in recent years.

I would have given Moyes more time based on the on the field product, but some of the things he said to the press really blew my mind. Blaming his players, saying the team wasn't good enough, etc. He may not have been wrong, but that's not going to inspire anything out of the team. That's why you fire him, not directly because of the results on the field.

Everyone likes Klopp, but Man U is going to need a drastic roster turnover if they want to resemble anything remotely like those Dortmund teams. Dortmund has had far more quality than United the past two seasons.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)

Klopp isn't leaving. And I really think Moyes should have been given another year. Manchester United just didn't have an overabundance of talent this season and then they suffered injury issues. That just isn't his fault. I've been reading Louis van Gaal is a front runner for the position but I really don't know if that is that much of an upgrade.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
Didn't know Moyes was that hated outside of overly entitled and spoiled United fans.

Moyes was utterly dreadful. Just the antithesis of everything United was supposed to be about. United have won enough that I'd gladly take years of no trophies, as long as the club wasn't actively hurting itself and the football was watchable. Hell, you're almost as likely to find me at 7th-tier FC United as you are to find me at Old Trafford, so it's not all about the trophies to me. But he was awful. His footballing philosophy resulted in turgid football, completely unsuited to the players at the club. His media statements were laughable at the best of times. His substitutions were terrible. His dithering in the transfer market renowned. His selection policy bizarre. His man-management was risible. He just didn't have it in him. Completely out of his depth. If it was any other club than United, with all the fairy-dust bollocks about not being a "sacking club", he would have been gone a long time ago. The squad absolutely needs strengthening to compete at the highest level, but anyone even attempting to argue that Moyes did anything less than an appalling job just wasn't paying close enough attention.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)

Spot on, all of this. This notion of giving manager's time is the most overrated notion in football. Stability for stability's sake is a fool's errand. Stability should be earned. As you point out, Rodgers is a great example of when a manager should be given time despite results not being that good. Would they be in the same position if they simply gave Roy Hodgson time? No, because Hodgson was out of his depth, just like Moyes.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
Moyes was utterly dreadful. Just the antithesis of everything United was supposed to be about. United have won enough that I'd gladly take years of no trophies, as long as the club wasn't actively hurting itself and the football was watchable. Hell, you're almost as likely to find me at 7th-tier FC United as you are to find me at Old Trafford, so it's not all about the trophies to me.

It's easy to say it's not about the trophies when they flow in regularly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
I wish American sports has relegation. That's usually way more fun that who wins the title.

I kind of agree, although it's pretty unthinkable in a lot of ways. It would drastically change things like the trade deadline, which would likely become a nonevent. Relegation is always interesting because the teams are usually more closely bunched and all it takes is a couple wins to turn things around whereas a title run you can win 5 in a row and not gain any ground at all.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 5, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
Liverpool just had the most incredible of collapses. Unbelievable. Looks pretty certain City is going to win the EPL again

In fairness, it already looked pretty likely. Man City wasn't going to blow either of those home games.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
In fairness, it already looked pretty likely. Man City wasn't going to blow either of those home games.

True, but Liverpool were up 3-0 in the 55' and frankly, should have been up 5 or 6-0 at that point with some of their missed chances. If they could have scored a couple more it would not have been impossible that they could have turned the GD around. Not likely, but it at least would have made Sunday a little more meaningful.

And from a betting standpoint, the over in Sunday's Liverpool game would essentially be free $$$