All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
I love seeing Real Madrid lose. Juve really earned it though. Barca will be heavily favored, but Juve is a tricky opponent. They will try to take advantage of Barca's weakness on set pieces.

Not that last year was much better, but I see the final being a boring 1-0 win for Barca.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
Not that last year was much better, but I see the final being a boring 1-0 win for Barca.

Seems likely. Juventus has a big and strong midfield. Aside from Busquets, you can push Rakitic and Iniesta around pretty good.

If it's a struggle in the mid field all game, it's going to be low scoring.

Anyone else looking forward to the Copa America next month?

I've been into the sport for a while now (WC '06 piqued my interest, but it was Euro '08 that really dragged me in) but haven't ever actually watched this tournament. For whatever reason I didn't watch in 2011 (I was getting into tennis hardcore that summer, so that may have distracted me...and it looks like it wasn't even on US TV in English anyway). I think I'm going to get beIN just for the month for this, though.

On a related note, looks like Fox is going to get the rights to the 2016 event in the US...venues to be announced sometime this month. Midwest cities being considered include Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, and Indianapolis.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)

I've been into the sport for a while now (WC '06 piqued my interest, but it was Euro '08 that really dragged me in) but haven't ever actually watched this tournament. For whatever reason I didn't watch in 2011 (I was getting into tennis hardcore that summer, so that may have distracted me...and it looks like it wasn't even on US TV in English anyway). I think I'm going to get beIN just for the month for this, though.

On a related note, looks like Fox is going to get the rights to the 2016 event in the US...venues to be announced sometime this month. Midwest cities being considered include Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, and Indianapolis.

Damn, Copa America is only on beIN?

Maybe I can just watch it on Telemundo or something.

Copa and Gold Cup this summer. Copa and Euros next summer. Going to be action packed summers for international soccer to get us to Russia 2018.

totally forgot about the U-20 World Cup in NZ in a few weeks and U-17WC in Chile this fall.

Edited by zenryan

Gideon Zelalem is going to play for the USMNT. He made the switch a few days ago.

He's got 3 years to develop for Russia 2018. We really need a player of his potential in the midfield.

Some say his potential is Pogba-lite. If that's the case, he'll be a huge part of the 2018 WC for the US.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 15, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)

I'm looking forward to it since I love international football, but it's not one of the more interesting torunaments for me. I prefer the Euros, Gold Cup and AFCON over it. I'll of course still watch as much as I can and am super excited about next year's Copa America with the US and Mexico involved.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 16, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
Gideon Zelalem is going to play for the USMNT. He made the switch a few days ago.

He's got 3 years to develop for Russia 2018. We really need a player of his potential in the midfield.

Some say his potential is Pogba-lite. If that's the case, he'll be a huge part of the 2018 WC for the US.

I think Cesc Fabregas is a much better hopeful comp. He has great vision and his passing ability is already top class. I don't think he'll score much but he could develop one of those uncanny abilities to control the game from the midfield.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)
I'm looking forward to it since I love international football, but it's not one of the more interesting torunaments for me. I prefer the Euros, Gold Cup and AFCON over it. I'll of course still watch as much as I can and am super excited about next year's Copa America with the US and Mexico involved.

I think Cesc Fabregas is a much better hopeful comp. He has great vision and his passing ability is already top class. I don't think he'll score much but he could develop one of those uncanny abilities to control the game from the midfield.

Pogba is more of an all-around player. But the guy literally went from a prospect in the United system to a world class player for Juventus in two years. With Zelalem so young, you'd hope he develops like Paul Pogba.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
People actually enjoy the Gold Cup?

Really? I enjoy any time the US plays and even if the competition isn't the best, it's still actual competition, which is rare for the national team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Sepp Blatter is resigning!!!

:hawk:

:usa :cheers :headbang

I wonder what really happened.

Were the sponsors threatening to pull out? Did FIFA officials find out that Blatter is going to get charged in the future? Was it Blatter's plan all along to resign after he won the election so that Ali wouldn't win it?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
I wonder what really happened.

Were the sponsors threatening to pull out? Did FIFA officials find out that Blatter is going to get charged in the future? Was it Blatter's plan all along to resign after he won the election so that Ali wouldn't win it?

User Actions

Following

Doug McIntyre

‏@DougMacESPN

Via @ABC, FBI sources on investigation into FIFA scandal:

FBI Sources:

"Now that people are going to want to save themselves, there's probably a race to see who will flip (on Blatter) first. We may not be able to collapse the whole organization but maybe you don't need to"

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
User Actions

Following

Doug McIntyre

‏@DougMacESPN

Via @ABC, FBI sources on investigation into FIFA scandal:

FBI Sources:

"Now that people are going to want to save themselves, there's probably a race to see who will flip (on Blatter) first. We may not be able to collapse the whole organization but maybe you don't need to"

I don't know how Blatter didn't see that happening 4 days ago.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
US advancing to the knockout stages of the U-20 WC. Zelalem, Rubin, Carter-Vickers and Hyndman all look legit. Some other good performances so far but those 4 really stand out

They looked really good in that game. I know New Zealand isn't a power or anything, but it was on the road and the US showed off some quality. Zelalem needs some refinement, which is expected at that age, but he's just working with more tools than most players in that age range. His ability on the ball, both dribbling out of trouble and making key passes, is really strong. Needs to cut down on some loose passes and get a bit stronger and he'll be ready for the full national team.

Hyndman and Carter-Vickers look like total studs, too. I like Arriola, although I'm not sure what position he profiles at as he gets older.

So just for a bit of background here, does everyone who posts in this thread have a favorite English Premier League team they go for (or at least in Europe)?

To kick it off, I'm a West Ham supporter (East London team), and have been from about 2000 onwards. They move into the Olympic Stadium in about 15 months from now, and are looking to break into the top 4 eventually (easier said than done).