Happy Bank Transfer Day!

Texsox

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be switching banks?

• No
    • Yes
    • Trying to, but it's such a hassle
    • I closed my account and bought bacon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
that's not a big surprise really as people have demanded access to their money instantly all over the world.

My brother's Credit Union gave him like 5 free ATM withdrawls per month, no matter where. Plus use of their own.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
My brother's Credit Union gave him like 5 free ATM withdrawls per month, no matter where. Plus use of their own.

A lot of banks have a "we won't charge you to use another bank's ATM!" policies, but that doesn't mean you won't get hit by the bank that owns that particular ATM for a fee.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
A lot of banks have a "we won't charge you to use another bank's ATM!" policies, but that doesn't mean you won't get hit by the bank that owns that particular ATM for a fee.

Any fee that is charged to the account is automatically reimbursed at the end of the month, according to my brother.

Same with Schwab.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out my new bank, USAA, makes transfering auto drafts easy as can be. On their web site are hundreds and hundreds of businesses, click on the ones you have accounts with, and it happens automatically. Sweet!

Be in a relationship with a member and you are in. Who doesn't like a person in uniform :headbang My future son-in-law works there and recently helped a couple who are not allowed to be married in their state. They jointly qualified for all benefits.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Any fee that is charged to the account is automatically reimbursed at the end of the month, according to my brother.

Same with Schwab.

I use Schwab and I'm a big fan. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have an issue not having access to a brick and mortar bank.

• 1 month later...

Going to USAA has been awesome, leaving my bank has been a nightmare. After two months and multiple and contradictory statements by their employees, I believe I know what happened.

On 1/27 I go to my branch to close the account. I am told there was one more item to clear and the account would be closed on the following Monday and if no transactions appear for one day the account would be closed and anything presented would be kicked back.

A couple weeks later I received a statement that I owed $125 or so in fees. Since the account was now opened, additional charges could come through, and they did. A once every two years bill for a web site, an annual magazine subscription, more over draft fees, account minimum balance fees, etc.

Via the 1-800 customer service line I was told the account has to stay at a $0 balance for 14 - 30 days before it is forever closed. In person they told me one day.

Then we looked for the item that presented itself on that one day, a check for $15. A motherf***ing check. I said, no way I have not written a check in months.

I hadn't. It was a check to my attorney I wrote on 10/11/11 for some court fees and some other work he did for me. I gave him the check at a Scouting function, I can only assume he just now found it in his wallet and deposited it.

So they want $429 in fees. We're negotiating.

I hate banks

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 03:44 AM)
I would be at USAA in a second if I could qualify. Their product line is amazeballs.

I only qualify for a sliver of their products, after the wedding I'll have more. Damn their customer service is amazing.