Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
You don't know s*** about what happened as of right now. You simply don't. None of us do.

But you go ahead and sit on your high horse right now, and tell anyone who thinks that just maybe we should wait and see what the hell was really going on there for the last 15 years that we are moral failures too, Balta. Because you know. Hell, you are the great moral adjudicator. Throw out his 65 years of coaching. Throw out the tens of thousands of young men, their wives, girlfriends, and families that he has helped. Because I am absolutely convinced that his entire life up until this point has been a complete farce, and all the stories about Paterno being a great human being are just all bulls***.

The guy made a mistake. He should have done more. Hell, the goddamned police and the DA, you know, those that the taxpayers fund their paychecks? They did nothing. Those that get specific training to handle criminals like Sandusky? They did nothing. But let's spend all our time deliberating whether the football coach should coach one game or three games. Let's speculate just how much involvement he might or probably had, before just allowing the facts to actually come out.

You are ridiculous.

Conjecture, the same as you're condemning others for using. For all we know, the DA decided that the evidence gathered by the police would be considered inadmissible and that's the reason nothing came of it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
You don't know s*** about what happened as of right now. You simply don't. None of us do.

But you go ahead and sit on your high horse right now, and tell anyone who thinks that just maybe we should wait and see what the hell was really going on there for the last 15 years that we are moral failures too, Balta. Because you know. Hell, you are the great moral adjudicator. Throw out his 65 years of coaching. Throw out the tens of thousands of young men, their wives, girlfriends, and families that he has helped. Because I am absolutely convinced that his entire life up until this point has been a complete farce, and all the stories about Paterno being a great human being are just all bulls***.

The guy made a mistake. He should have done more. Hell, the goddamned police and the DA, you know, those that the taxpayers fund their paychecks? They did nothing. Those that get specific training to handle criminals like Sandusky? They did nothing. But let's spend all our time deliberating whether the football coach should coach one game or three games. Let's speculate just how much involvement he might or probably had, before just allowing the facts to actually come out.

You are ridiculous.

No, let's do the right thing and fire him based on his own admissions that he did not do enough.

Yes, I will sit here on my high horse and say that no matter what else he did in his life, what he has already admitted to in this case tarnishes everything.

Oh, and if you were watching earlier this thread, my reaction to the statemetns about the DA et al. dropping their 1998 investigation were to question whether the DA could face charges over failing to act. It was suggested to me that they cannot be charged for that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Conjecture, the same as you're condemning others for using. For all we know, the DA decided that the evidence gathered by the police would be considered inadmissible and that's the reason nothing came of it.

It's not conjecture that the police and the DA were made aware of Sandusky showering with a young boy and failed to prosecute him for it.

If that is indeed the case, that they were aware, what legal ramifications do you believe could have come from Paterno calling the police and telling them that he was told by someone else that they witnessed Sandusky raping a child?

Isnt speculation and discussion the point of a message board?

When I took things a little more personally than I should have especially during the Tressel situation I simply didnt open the thread for a few months. It definitely helps.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
No, let's do the right thing and fire him based on his own admissions that he did not do enough.

Yes, I will sit here on my high horse and say that no matter what else he did in his life, what he has already admitted to in this case tarnishes everything.

Oh, and if you were watching earlier this thread, my reaction to the statemetns about the DA et al. dropping their 1998 investigation were to question whether the DA could face charges over failing to act. It was suggested to me that they cannot be charged for that.

Except you didn't say it merely tarnishes everything. I think everyone will agree everything has been tarnished.

You stated he cannot be defended.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Is speculation and discussion the point of a message board?

When I took things a little personally than I should have especially during the Tressel situation I simply didnt open the thread for a few months. It definitely helps.

Ugh. Who would? What Paterno did pales in comparison to that monster Tressel...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
It's not conjecture that the police and the DA were made aware of Sandusky showering with a young boy and failed to prosecute him for it.

If that is indeed the case, that they were aware, what legal ramifications do you believe could have come from Paterno calling the police and telling them that he was told by someone else that they witnessed Sandusky raping a child?

But, it's conjecture that they did nothing. In fact, they actively investigated it and even had a detective listen in on a conversation between the mother of one of the victims and Sandusky himself. For all you or anyone knows right now, the case had to be dropped on some technicality.

Here you go bringing in the legal aspect of the case with Paterno, which has nothing to do with why he was fired. It's been said about 403 teams in this thread.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
Just to be clear. If someone tells you they saw a crime, it becomes your responsibility to make certain it is investigated.

Just to drive this home tex, if one of your scout masters told you they saw a boy get raped, and you told your superiors, then continued to see that man around business as usual for years, and then a scandal hit showing that he was continuing to rape boys...

people may ask that you no longer hold that duty. And in that scenario, you didn't get raped, you aren't going to jail, you just lost your job. Poor you. You are clearly the biggest victim here.

Joe Paterno was the most powerful man in Happy Valley. Without a doubt. Within his football administration was a man serially raping young boys in large numbers, none yet completely known. At some point, he was told about this. No criminal charges were ever filed against this man. The public gets notified. He loses his job. The serial rapist being around is the problem here. All those that knew are tainted. You can't move on without removing that stain. Hopefully, those victims can. But no, I don't care that poor Joe Paterno has to retire comfortably in his old age. He is not the victim here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
You stated he cannot be defended.

In this case? You're damn right there's no defense. There may be "Explanations". We covered some of them yesterday. They aren't excuses, they aren't defenses.

From what he has already said, from his admission that he should have done more, from his own statement, you're right, his actions are indefensible.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
But, it's conjecture that they did nothing. In fact, they actively investigated it and even had a detective listen in on a conversation between the mother of one of the victims and Sandusky himself. For all you or anyone knows right now, the case had to be dropped on some technicality.

Here you go bringing in the legal aspect of the case with Paterno, which has nothing to do with why he was fired. It's been said about 403 teams in this thread.

No, I'm really not. I'm asking you that if the police already knew about Sandusky, what good would it do if Joe Paterno told them he heard from someone else that Sandusky raped a child?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Just to drive this home tex, if one of your scout masters told you they saw a boy get raped, and you told your superiors, then continued to see that man around business as usual for years, and then a scandal hit showing that he was continuing to rape boys...

people may ask that you no longer hold that duty. And in that scenario, you didn't get raped, you aren't going to jail, you just lost your job. Poor you. You are clearly the biggest victim here.

Joe Paterno was the most powerful man in Happy Valley. Without a doubt. Within his football administration was a man serially raping young boys in large numbers, none yet completely known. At some point, he was told about this. No criminal charges were ever filed against this man. The public gets notified. He loses his job. The serial rapist being around is the problem here. All those that knew are tainted. You can't move on without removing that stain. Hopefully, those victims can. But no, I don't care that poor Joe Paterno has to retire comfortably in his old age. He is not the victim here.

Awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
In this case? You're damn right there's no defense. There may be "Explanations". We covered some of them yesterday. They aren't excuses, they aren't defenses.

From what he has already said, from his admission that he should have done more, from his own statement, you're right, his actions are indefensible.

Bulls***. Only indefensible to everyone on their obviously poorly constructed, falling-apart high horses.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
No, I'm really not. I'm asking you that if the police already knew about Sandusky, what good would it do if Joe Paterno told them he heard from someone else that Sandusky raped a child?

It would have done a lot of good for Joe Paterno, that's for sure. He'd still have a job.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Umm.....yeah, people on Facebook are saying this. I just had a big argument last night w/ some people on Facebook because they said that the PSU students were having a "pro pediphilia rally" and if you think Paterno should not have been fired then you are a child molester just like he is. Trust me, people, at least on Facebook, are ACTUALLY likening what Paterno DIDN'T do to being just as bad as what Sandusky DID do.

Why on Earth are you bringing morons on Facebook into this. Next time are you going to post comments posted on the ESPN website?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)

This is just such oversimplification.

There are always degrees of blame. There are degrees of culpability and responsibility. Stop trying to treat this man, who was at the time in his mid-seventies, and accused widely of being completely senile, as if he was the f***ing Don of a mafia organization. This "most powerful man in Happy Valley" statement is such nonsense and belies all common sense. He was the most powerful man around the football team, not the Administration, not the University.

Go read an article about him before this all happened. He doesn't have email. He doesn't have a cellphone.

Paterno is certainly not the victim here. But that doesn't mean he isn't a victim here.