Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
He doesn't seem to think so...

Sure he does. His point was that there's nothing to report on the "PSU forced a DA to drop an investigation" story because it is pure speculation, the same as a report claiming Paterno personally stopped it would be.

What isn't speculative is the condemnation of Paterno's inaction regarding the 2002 incident.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
The fact that people keep pretending that anyone has actually said this or that somehow people are making this out to be the case is all you need to know about how week the "Pro-Joe" position is.

Umm.....yeah, people on Facebook are saying this. I just had a big argument last night w/ some people on Facebook because they said that the PSU students were having a "pro pediphilia rally" and if you think Paterno should not have been fired then you are a child molester just like he is. Trust me, people, at least on Facebook, are ACTUALLY likening what Paterno DIDN'T do to being just as bad as what Sandusky DID do.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Sure he does. His point was that there's nothing to report on the "PSU forced a DA to drop an investigation" story because it is pure speculation, the same as a report claiming Paterno personally stopped it would be.

What isn't speculative is the condemnation of Paterno's inaction regarding the 2002 incident.

What I'm saying is the fact that some are actually speculating about it is evidence that the media coverage is influencing peoples' imaginations to run wild about what Paterno might have done, regardless of what the actual known facts are as of this time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Umm.....yeah, people on Facebook are saying this. I just had a big argument last night w/ some people on Facebook because they said that the PSU students were having a "pro pediphilia rally" and if you think Paterno should not have been fired then you are a child molester just like he is. Trust me, people, at least on Facebook, are ACTUALLY likening what Paterno DIDN'T do to being just as bad as what Sandusky DID do.

You're now bringing in the dregs of society, the unwashed, uneducated majority of Facebook users. That doesn't need to be dragged into this thread.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
What I'm saying is the fact that some are actually speculating about it is evidence that the media coverage is influencing peoples' imaginations to run wild about what Paterno might have done, regardless of what the actual known facts are as of this time.

I see, so you're willing to sit here and tell me that it's media coverage that has influenced me to speculate about why the DA dropped the case in 1998.

Which media did I consume which caused me to speculate this?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)

I'm pretty sure is was a hypothetical to illustrate a point, not serious speculation of what happened. You've blown it completely out of proportion to rationalize your position.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)

I gotta be honest. I now hope that they uncover some evidence that Paterno was a child molester. That'd make this whole thread that much more epic.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
See, this is the problem with the media coverage to this point.

Now we're comparing Joe to Barry Bonds. As if he was just as guilty as the other actors in our story...needless to say we have a child rapist involved, Paterno is more famous so we should be talking about him instead!

No, comparing the media coverage. Highest profile will always get most attention.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
I see, so you're willing to sit here and tell me that it's media coverage that has influenced me to speculate about why the DA dropped the case in 1998.

Which media did I consume which caused me to speculate this?

How else do you even know about the story, Balta? Were you there now?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
You're now bringing in the dregs of society, the unwashed, uneducated majority of Facebook users. That doesn't need to be dragged into this thread.

uummm......?? So I can't say I think it's wrong for people on Facebook to be making these kinds of statements? Ok, I guess I just won't have opinions anymore while you're around? ?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
I'm pretty sure is was a hypothetical to illustrate a point, not serious speculation of what happened. You've blown it completely out of proportion to rationalize your position.

I don't have to rationalize anything...I'm sitting here incredulous that Balta has already condemned and convicted Paterno of everything but child molestation himself, which, btw, Milk is now hoping happens.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
uummm......?? So I can't say I think it's wrong for people on Facebook to be making these kinds of statements? Ok, I guess I just won't have opinions anymore while you're around? ?

You can, and you're right. But your original post didn't make it clear at all that you were talking about what people were saying outside of this thread.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't have to rationalize anything...I'm sitting here incredulous that Balta has already condemned and convicted Paterno of everything but child molestation himself, which, btw, Milk is now hoping happens.

No. he. hasn't. You are completely misinterpreting what is being said.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)

No, I certainly have not. I think he should have been fired for failing to act strongly enough in 2002. THat has now happened and I consider the matter closed, with 2 exeptions; 1., if it turns out that he was more involved than currently known, and 2., when people step up and try to defend his reputation which should justly be viewed as in tatters.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
No. he. hasn't. You are completely misinterpreting what is being said.

Why is it you feel the need to respond for Balta?

He. Just. Posted. That. Paterno's. Entire. Life. Should. Be. Judged. Basically. Solely. On. This. Incident.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Although there are conflicting reports about what exactly he was told in 2002 which could in fact mean that he has lied in public statements.

If he committed perjury i'm sure they would have brought charges like they did against the other two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
No, I certainly have not. I think he should have been fired for failing to act strongly enough in 2002. THat has now happened and I consider the matter closed, with 2 exeptions; 1., if it turns out that he was more involved than currently known, and 2., when people step up and try to defend his reputation which should justly be viewed as in tatters.

You don't know s*** about what happened as of right now. You simply don't. None of us do.

But you go ahead and sit on your high horse right now, and tell anyone who thinks that just maybe we should wait and see what the hell was really going on there for the last 15 years that we are moral failures too, Balta. Because you know. Hell, you are the great moral adjudicator. Throw out his 65 years of coaching. Throw out the tens of thousands of young men, their wives, girlfriends, and families that he has helped. Because I am absolutely convinced that his entire life up until this point has been a complete farce, and all the stories about Paterno being a great human being are just all bulls***.

The guy made a mistake. He should have done more. Hell, the goddamned police and the DA, you know, those that the taxpayers fund their paychecks? They did nothing. Those that get specific training to handle criminals like Sandusky? They did nothing. But let's spend all our time deliberating whether the football coach should coach one game or three games. Let's speculate just how much involvement he might or probably had, before just allowing the facts to actually come out.

You are ridiculous.