Syracuse Horror Story

Kyyle23

Bernie Fine has been fired by Syracuse University

Syracuse University fired associate head basketball coach Bernie Fine on Sunday in the wake of an investigation of child molestation allegations against him.

"At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine's employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately," Kevin Quinn, the school's senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is not going to comment on Fine's firing, according to Boeheim's wife, Julie, who answered the phone at their Syracuse home Sunday night when contacted by ESPN.com. Julie Boeheim said "Jim's not talking." A message was left on Boeheim's cell phone, as well.

Im not really buying the third accusers story. He kind of came out of left field. The Ball boys are the more credible story considering their length of time around Fine and the team. Plus, that recorded call with Fine's wife from 2002, especially since she consented to have it recorded, is quite a smoking gun.

WTF is with all these terrible things happening in 2002 and coming out now?

Also, the Feds are searching his house.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/27/justice/syra...rss_igoogle_cnn

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
I think it's interesting that Sandusky and Fine were long-time assistants that never took the leap to be head coach. I wonder if this was done on purpose by them to avoid some of the spotlight and keep living their life how they were?

Sandusky was head coach-in-waiting...until they found out he diddles little boys. And from some of the accounts, he was pretty upset when informed he wasn't going to be head coach of PSU.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
No one's arguing yet that the University was too quick to fire him?

If they truly thought he might be innocent, I guess they could have just put him on administrative leave until it all played out. But with everything that went down in Penn St., they really had no choice.

I have a hard time seeing Boeheim keep his job. Even if he knew nothing at all (which I doubt), he still called out all of the accusers as extortionists, which in his position was the wrong thing to do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
If they truly thought he might be innocent, I guess they could have just put him on administrative leave until it all played out. But with everything that went down in Penn St., they really had no choice.

I have a hard time seeing Boeheim keep his job. Even if he knew nothing at all (which I doubt), he still called out all of the accusers as extortionists, which in his position was the wrong thing to do.

As far as I can tell, Syracuse even had a ready-made excuse to keep using the administrative leave issue...no charges have been filed in the case, correct?

I'd assume that the phone call yesterday was the "straw that broke the camel's back", where they took a look at that and said that there was no way things would end well for the school no matter what.

Balta,

There is a slight difference between firing the actual perpetrator and firing someone who heard about a crime and didnt call the police.

Its just not comparable, Fine is Sandusky in this situation, not Paterno.

Rock brings up the more interesting question, what happens to Boehim and will he get the Paterno treatment. (My guess is no.)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Rock brings up the more interesting question, what happens to Boehim and will he get the Paterno treatment. (My guess is no.)

I'd say it depends if he knew about it. See, Joe Paterno was aware that Jerry Sandusky raped children for a decade and did nothing about it. Boehim seems to have been clueless in this regard, and the actions seem to not have been right under his nose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
I'd say it depends if he knew about it. See, Joe Paterno was aware that Jerry Sandusky raped children for a decade and did nothing about it. Boehim seems to have been clueless in this regard, and the actions seem to not have been right under his nose.

Yes, but we set the precedent that the coach is fired even with rumors and heresay as the source (unless the board knew for sure that it happened which I am pretty sure they did).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Yes, but we set the precedent that the coach is fired even with rumors and heresay as the source (unless the board knew for sure that it happened which I am pretty sure they did).

Now wait, we actually had in the Penn State case both testimony about the coach's failure to act and a public admission from the Coach that he should have done more. "Rumors and Hearsay" is not an accurate description here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Now wait, we actually had in the Penn State case both testimony about the coach's failure to act and a public admission from the Coach that he should have done more. "Rumors and Hearsay" is not an accurate description here.

I've got an inkling that Mr. Boeheim knew a little more than he is letting on.

So ESPN and the Post Standard were both given the taped phone call in 2003, yet both chose not to report the tape to the authorities because of no corraborating witnesses.

And who won the National Championship in 2003? Just sayin