Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
Those two are just about done with their rebuilding, the Royals more so than the Indians. I would say the Royals are done rebuilding entirely and simply have to sign a few starters.

If you are short a few starters, you aren't done rebuilding by a long shot.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 04:38 AM)
Great point. I've lived through the era of make the playoffs every decade or so and it wasn't that great. I'm just not enamored with sitting on a boat load of minor league talent and hoping enough develop in 4-6-8 years to contend. So 2-3 years and hope a couple of guys rebound from career lows would be my choice. Plus, I think there is a core there that could make that happen.

I am siding with Northsidesox72 and Tex here. Trade away our good core players in salary dumps, or the idea we can get a boat full on eager and talented minor league talent is a real stretch. We may never see any of that talent develop while our players continue performing well for other teams. Granted it's all a crap shoot, but I think there are better options then a demolition. When we were seeing KW trade all of our young talent weren't many saying that depending on a minor league player to perform at a high level in the bigs was iffy at best. You never know, but now it seems we are willing to support what we were against before. Regardless of how I feel I know and accept there will be a different direction taken. I just hope it doesn't lead over the cliff

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
The inside portion of rebuilding is done, at least. One trade and one signing and they're legitimate contenders for the division maybe as soon as this season.

As usual with the vaunted Royals...I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, they are the same 70-win scrubs they always were.

But that's the advantage of the large market. You don't to develop an entire roster of star young guys, you just need a good core. You can make two or three big free agent signings at any offseason. It's totally plausible that it's a 2 or 3 year thing. And don't forget that futher off guys are valuable even if you don't wait for them... you trade for veterans whe n you're ready to make the move.

But what you CAN'T do is have a bunch of old guys on big contracts laying around. Your core has to be cost-controlled so you have the flexibility to add premier guys when you make your move. That's why it would have been BAD for all of us if they signed Buerhle. You guys say it's kick in the face of the fans, and that's NOT true. You'd feel the kick in the face when in three years, we ended up one bat short of going all the way because we were paying 35-year old Buerhle $15m to be our 4th starter and couldn't afford to acquire another star.