Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's not a Sox trade one minute after the meetings start... I'm gonna lose my s***.

Seriously though, there's no reason the White Sox shouldn't have a flurry of activity next week, but every reason there will only be tweaks, and KW banking on the whole "It can't get much worse than 2011" theory (even though it can get SO MUCH worse)

Here's hoping Kenny doesn't rush into any trades next week.

Maybe, he won't act like a 17 y.o. kid with his first shot at a woman this year and he'll exhibit some restraint.

Last year, on this date he HAD to have Adam Dunn. In 09 he HAD to unload Swisher in November. This is his biggest flaw as a GM once he decides that he wants a player or wants to trade a player - that's it! He's a like a kid with money burning a hole in his pocket.

Grow up Kenny and take your time making the deals and squeeze these other GM's like they do you. Wait them out and wait for their desperation like they do you.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Here's hoping Kenny doesn't rush into any trades next week.

Maybe, he won't act like a 17 y.o. kid with his first shot at a woman this year and he'll exhibit some restraint.

Last year, on this date he HAD to have Adam Dunn. In 09 he HAD to unload Swisher in November. This is his biggest flaw as a GM once he decides that he wants a player or wants to trade a player - that's it! He's a like a kid with money burning a hole in his pocket.

Grow up Kenny and take your time making the deals and squeeze these other GM's like they do you. Wait them out and wait for their desperation like they do you.

If Kenny Williams does not quickly move some salary the White Sox may simply be unable to make a winning bid on Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I hate that too. Let the GM do his job.

The owner might well set a budget with a player and without that player, and the numbers might be different, if, for example, that player could be expected to generate a revenue/marketing return.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
it's not fair to give Williams a pass on it.

And he did the appropriate response, he offered to resign.

The time to evaluate that mistake has passed. It has to be treated as square 1 right now with Ventura's hiring, for this season. And it can't be a 1 year deal, it's a 3 year rebuilding process from here, so we shut up about this and evaulate in 3 years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
Yes it is, I have no problems with transactions not working out if the decision was logical. That happens

From what I recall - this is a thread regarding the 2011 Winter Meetings.

Yes?

:headbang

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Dunn was part of a failed strategy by Williams.

Yeah, the strategy failed but 95% of the board was excited when they signed Dunn. You can't have it both ways. I was excited as hell for Dunn. I was excited for Peavy too because Kenny didn't trade anything of value for him. He took a shot and it backfired. The same shot that I would have taken given the circumstances so I am not going to sit back and b**** about Dunn. He was awful. But it was still a great move at the time. Don't you have a Marlins board to chat on?