KW and SOX fans are to blame for this mess..

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I mean, once again, most affordable games are on weekdays, and I don't have the luxury of being able to leave work early to go tailgate...I also don't own a car. But I shouldn't have to go out of my way to make a game affordable and enjoyable. At some point it's just not worth it. That point has passed (and I went to 8 games last year...that won't happen this year)

You have no friends with cars?

Look, I've been in your position...just out of college, not a ton of discretionary income, have to pick and choose your fun on the cheap in order to stretch your dollar.

Bottom line is, going to a lot of MLB games is not really within your reach right now. And I say MLB, because it's not a Sox thing...this is a MLB and even a professional sports thing. Beers are going to be $7-8 bucks. Any decent food is going to be $8-15 bucks. Decent tickets are going to be $30-50.

So you only go to 1 or 2 games a year...no big deal. Support the team by watching them on tv or listening to them on the radio.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Whats fun about eating/drinking at the ballpark? I go to the park to see the game and root for the Sox.

In my mind, it's a lot of fun to have a corned beef sandwich and fries before the game with a Coke.

Two beers during the game.

A hot dog late in the game.

That ought to do it.

So what does that cost me, just for ME, not to mention the people I bring?

Attending sporting events is not for the working class southsider who defines the White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
In my mind, it's a lot of fun to have a corned beef sandwich and fries before the game with a Coke.

Two beers during the game.

A hot dog late in the game.

That ought to do it.

So what does that cost me, just for ME, not to mention the people I bring?

Attending sporting events is not for the working class southsider who defines the White Sox.

Newsflash...attending professional sporting events is not, and has not, been for the working class person in ANY town for quite a few years now...it's for corporations and upper-middle class or affluent fans for the most part.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
You have no friends with cars?

Look, I've been in your position...just out of college, not a ton of discretionary income, have to pick and choose your fun on the cheap in order to stretch your dollar.

Bottom line is, going to a lot of MLB games is not really within your reach right now. And I say MLB, because it's not a Sox thing...this is a MLB and even a professional sports thing. Beers are going to be $7-8 bucks. Any decent food is going to be $8-15 bucks. Decent tickets are going to be $30-50.

So you only go to 1 or 2 games a year...no big deal. Support the team by watching them on tv or listening to them on the radio.

Yeah. My point was that it was, at one point. But no, none of my friends have cars.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Newsflash...attending professional sporting events is not, and has not, been for the working class person in ANY town for quite a few years now...it's for corporations and upper-middle class or affluent fans for the most part.

Great, then all should understand why our park has 20,000 on a summer night.

So good luck running a business. Those corporations are really putting butts in the seats.

Baseball has way too many games to cater only to corporations. I realize they do, but it's a joke. I wonder how many southsiders from 55th Street down to 111th and from Kedzie over to Pulaski actually go to games.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah. My point was that it was, at one point. But no, none of my friends have cars.

But you're also making it seem as though there is no way to enjoy a game without spending a fortune, and that's just not true...

If you can't go to a game on a gorgeous summer night and enjoy yourself without buying a ton of food and booze, well I just don't think you're a huge baseball fan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
But you're also making it seem as though there is no way to enjoy a game without spending a fortune, and that's just not true...

If you can't go to a game on a gorgeous summer night and enjoy yourself without buying a ton of food and booze, well I just don't think you're a huge baseball fan.

Okay, fair enough, I could easily go to one game and it not be a big deal. But obviously when there are 81 home games a year and it's summer out you'd like to go to quite a bit more. I'll never not go to a single baseball game that year because of money. With football I can't afford one. With basketball it's maybe 1 or 2, but with baseball, with so many seats available and games and it being summer, you'd like to be able to go for the full experience more than once or twice in a summer.

edit: And I really don't even want to get drunk at a game. But cold beer at a baseball game is wonderful. Chugging beers in a parking lot isn't really my thing.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Wait a second here...the 2006 team won like 90 games...and that was not his fault that they failed down the stretch...they had the second best record at the ASB.

Obviously in 2005 there was a WS...

The 2008 team won a division...

The 2011 team had every chance to win and the players and the manager just s*** themselves...

That's 4 teams in the last 7 that I felt very good about, and honestly, the 2009 team had every chance to win. The 2010 team KW and JR agreed to let Ozzie have things his way.

I can understand the discontent and the desire for change...but I'm not ready to turn my back on KW just yet...I want to see him function with someone that isn't bats*** crazy for a year or two...

I'm OK with him having another year or two. In my mind, he deserved to keep his job more than Ozzie. But if they fired him, I would have been fine with that as well. No playoffs for 5 of 6 years is a failure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Everything is fun about drinking and eating at the ballpark.

I don't have to drink for each game, but I'm definitely going to want some ballpark food. That's part of the freaking experience. It's right there in the song for crying out loud. Eating before and bringing water with you sound like a damn chore.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)

So good luck running a business. Those corporations are really putting butts in the seats.

Baseball has way too many games to cater only to corporations. I realize they do, but it's a joke. I wonder how many southsiders from 55th Street down to 111th and from Kedzie over to Pulaski actually go to games.

In a metropolitan area of 7+ million people, why does that matter in the slightest bit? Are southsiders better Sox fans or more important fans?

I've never lived south of Irving Park Rd. Should that put me lower on the Sox priority marketing list?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I mean, once again, most affordable games are on weekdays, and I don't have the luxury of being able to leave work early to go tailgate...I also don't own a car. But I shouldn't have to go out of my way to make a game affordable and enjoyable. At some point it's just not worth it. That point has passed (and I went to 8 games last year...that won't happen this year)

You can relate going to a game to pretty much anything you might "go out" for.

Go to a movie and you have to spend $25 on a pair of tickets just to get in. Then another $20+ for popcorn and snacks.

Go to a nice restaurant and have a couple of drinks with dinner and you'll probably spend $50+

What's the difference?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
You can relate going to a game to pretty much anything you might "go out" for.

Go to a movie and you have to spend $25 on a pair of tickets just to get in. Then another $20+ for popcorn and snacks.

Go to a nice restaurant and have a couple of drinks with dinner and you'll probably spend $50+

What's the difference?

They are indeed very similar. I suppose I could go to a nice restaurant quite often and order lettuce and water, and say I went to a nice restaurant. But instead I'll just cook at home for the majority of the time. That's the point. Indeed I don't do either of the things you mention terribly often, but when I do get to, I want to have more than just a basic level experience. But baseball games were not always such a luxury good.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
They are indeed very similar. I suppose I could go to a nice restaurant quite often and order lettuce and water, and say I went to a nice restaurant. But instead I'll just cook at home for the majority of the time. That's the point. Indeed I don't do either of the things you mention terribly often, but when I do get to, I want to have more than just a basic level experience. But baseball games were not always such a luxury good.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)

i wish those damm corporations didnt force the price of upper deck tickets to $7 on a monday night. it's killing us working class jamokes on a budget.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
In a metropolitan area of 7+ million people, why does that matter in the slightest bit? Are southsiders better Sox fans or more important fans?

I've never lived south of Irving Park Rd. Should that put me lower on the Sox priority marketing list?

i guess so. same as the guy who lives by archer and western. i'm not as important, despite being CLOSER to the park than 55th and pulaski.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)

That would be an interesting study to see if the average cost of baseball tickets have increased in price comparably to movie tickets and restaurant prices over the years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Okay, fair enough, I could easily go to one game and it not be a big deal. But obviously when there are 81 home games a year and it's summer out you'd like to go to quite a bit more. I'll never not go to a single baseball game that year because of money. With football I can't afford one. With basketball it's maybe 1 or 2, but with baseball, with so many seats available and games and it being summer, you'd like to be able to go for the full experience more than once or twice in a summer.

edit: And I really don't even want to get drunk at a game. But cold beer at a baseball game is wonderful. Chugging beers in a parking lot isn't really my thing.

you can go to PLENTY of 1/2 price monday nights for less than the cost of one BEER. and if you on stubhub, you can find other deals for the other games.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
looks like you're an upper deck snob.

taking the train saves $25.

upper deck tickets will be as low as $7 this year at the box office

one water bottle at the park is $4.50. you can get a CASE for $3 at walgreen most of the time.

simple solutions that WORK.

7 dollars at the box office? WTF. Taxes are more than 7 dollars on a ticket.

You are also not allowed to bring in food and drinks. Are you sneaking this in?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)

You are allowed to take in a plastic bag with like, 2 waters and a bologna sandwich or something.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpa...ontent=security

Permitted Items

Carry in food in a small, clear (see-through) plastic bag.

Enter with small bags (no larger than 16" x 16" x 8") that will be searched prior to entering the park.

Carry in one sealed plastic bottle of water, one liter or less in size, but no other beverages of any kind

ticket prices here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticket....jsp?loc=pick14

and group discounts are listed here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/groups/gsg.jsp

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

Never knew that about water in all my years of having season tickets.

Those still arent 7 dollars. You have about 6 games that actually qualify for it and you still have to pay taxes on top of the tickets. And yes, for the most part those seats blow and thats not snobby thats actually liking being able to see all the action.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
Never knew that about water in all my years of having season tickets.

Those still arent 7 dollars. You have about 6 games that actually qualify for it and you still have to pay taxes on top of the tickets. And yes, for the most part those seats blow and thats not snobby thats actually liking being able to see all the action.

tax is included. it says so on the ticket. a season ticket shows the price breakdown.

i've had seats in sec 516. the first 10 rows are solid. now if you're closer to the foul pole, that's a different story.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
tax is included. it says so on the ticket. a season ticket shows the price breakdown.

i've had seats in sec 516. the first 10 rows are solid. now if you're closer to the foul pole, that's a different story.

I may do that a few times this year. I've been so close to the action its very hard for me personally to go back up top unless its Cubs/Sox. This yes I think we will be able to sit wherever you want for many of those games however. I used to do that at Reds games, they were 10 bucks for the top 10 rows and we always moved all the way down.