2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that MJ wouldn't be AS good in today's game, because I agree with SS2k5 that there are more of the faster/bigger/taller guys in the NBA that could keep him "in check." Yeah the Deng comment was dumb, as Pippen is a good counter. But I think you've got a lot more of those types in the NBA now than you did back then. I still think MJ rules the league though, just not to the same degree of dominance he displayed in the 90's. He'd be like Lebron, only with the competitiveness and drive to win and not puss out in the final 12 minutes of the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Right because you were even born 20 years ago.

Just because you're a dinosaur doesn't mean everyone else is stupid. I turn 29 next week. I've been married for 5+ years. I have a dick.

I grew up with 90s NBA. I consumed it. I was addicted to it.

I do enjoy the fact that your argument is so lame that you've decided to drop the "you weren't there" argument on someone who very much was.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
I would agree that MJ wouldn't be AS good in today's game, because I agree with SS2k5 that there are more of the faster/bigger/taller guys in the NBA that could keep him "in check." Yeah the Deng comment was dumb, as Pippen is a good counter. But I think you've got a lot more of those types in the NBA now than you did back then. I still think MJ rules the league though, just not to the same degree of dominance he displayed in the 90's. He'd be like Lebron, only with the competitiveness and drive to win and not puss out in the final 12 minutes of the game.

See, this I could deal with, but SS2k saying Wade is better than Jordan in almost every facet of the game was just mindless. And yeah, the Deng comment. Sheer genius.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
I am sure it is a waste of time, because I can acknowledge that the game has changed in the last twenty years.

For the worse, honestly.

I would take Larry Bird from mid 1980s over 99% of NBA players today.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Just because you're a dinosaur doesn't mean everyone else is stupid. I turn 29 next week. I've been married for 5+ years. I have a dick.

I do enjoy the fact that your argument is so lame that you've decided to drop the "you weren't there" argument on someone who very much was.

Seriously, you are going to pull childish arguments out like "You just seem to have little to zero knowledge of the NBA 20 years ago then" and get pissy when you get the same back? You were the one who had to resort to that. If you want to keep it to just the game, then respond like it.

If you have a dick, act like it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)

"I was there", I watched prime Magic, Bird, MJ and they would have no trouble in today's NBA.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
For the worse, honestly.

I would take Larry Bird from mid 1980s over 99% of NBA players today.

He had a great podcast with Simmons a couple weeks ago. I'm sure 99% of Boston fans ejaculated while listening to it. My favorite comment of his was when he said that he wasn't a fan of today's game, where you have guys screaming and hollering over a dunk and then they give up a three coming on the next trip down the court. He said something like "correct me if i'm wrong, but you got 2 pts and I got 3. Why are we celebrating what you did?" That's pretty much where the game is these days - commercializing, branding, highlight reels. Who cares about wins? I want to know how I can market my shoes.

Pippen benefited as much from the clutch, grab, and physical defense of the 80s and 90s as anyone did. You can't say that there is no defense today, then bring up guys who benefited from it.

LeBron should be MJ today, because he has the kind of talent gap that MJ had to the rest of the game back in his day. LeBron alone should be evidence of how much the NBA has improved since Mike's day, but of course LeBron doesn't care enough to get to that level.

Did somebody just imply that Bill Russell could play in today's NBA? That's blasphemy and preposterous. What's next? That fat, out of shape, porker Babe Ruth would rule the game of baseball like he did when entire teams were hitting 20 HRs and pitchers topped out at a 2006-Freddy Garcia like 86 MPH on their FB? Bill Russell played when there was no athleticism, everybody, even point guards, dribbled with only their strong hand, everybody was built like Wite, everybody shot in the low 40's percentage wise, and everybody played at a clown pace. Bill Russell is not even as good as Sabonis. Now there's always room for interpretation. You've got some guys who were good for their time. Then you've got Wilt, Magic, Michael, Shaq and LeBron. They'd be good ANY time. But just stop with Bill Russell. I can't take it anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
He had a great podcast with Simmons a couple weeks ago. I'm sure 99% of Boston fans ejaculated while listening to it. My favorite comment of his was when he said that he wasn't a fan of today's game, where you have guys screaming and hollering over a dunk and then they give up a three coming on the next trip down the court. He said something like "correct me if i'm wrong, but you got 2 pts and I got 3. Why are we celebrating what you did?" That's pretty much where the game is these days - commercializing, branding, highlight reels. Who cares about wins? I want to know how I can market my shoes.

To me, the breakdown in the fundamental nature of the game is further proof of the talent gap between the two generations. the fact that they don't need to depend on proper basketball techniques and are instead making it up with superior athletic ability is very telling to me. If it wasn't, then the guys who had proper technique would dominate the game over the other guys. The NBA is nothing like this.

I tend to agree with this point, although Mike was a better scorer than Lebron (Mike probably had the best midrange game ever). And with that being said, Lebron is putting up some ridiculous seasons. Lebron with competitiveness is a scary thought. I think that in itself would be dominating similarly to the 90s.

And I don't think people understand how much Mike would be able to take advantage of today's game. They don't realize what kind of impact the handcheck rule had. They seem to miss the fact that Allen Iverson had his best scoring season at the age 30 (and he relied on quickness). Kobe Bryant had his best season after the handcheck rule. Michael Jordan averaged 10 FTA a game only twice in his career (a guy that supposedly got all the superstar calls). Paul Pierce averaged 10 FTA a game after that rule was instated. Paul Pierce isn't some sort of elite level athlete either. There were at least 5 guys that averaged 10 FTA per game in the 05/06 season.

The game has turned into a game that caters to players that try emulate Michael Jordan's game. Lots of ISOs. Now put the greatest ISO player of all time in the current era and it's just wow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Pippen benefited as much from the clutch, grab, and physical defense of the 80s and 90s as anyone did. You can't say that there is no defense today, then bring up guys who benefited from it.

LeBron should be MJ today, because he has the kind of talent gap that MJ had to the rest of the game back in his day. LeBron alone should be evidence of how much the NBA has improved since Mike's day, but of course LeBron doesn't care enough to get to that level.

Yeah he did, but he also had the rare athletic qualities that guys now have - he was 6'8", 230 lbs with speed and long arms. He could guard 1-4 and sometimes 5.

I've always felt Lebron's greatness from basketball "skills" is overrated. I think it's mostly due to his physical attributes. He's Pippen with an extra 20-25 lbs with the same speed and better leaping ability. Not saying he sucks, obviously, but make him 2 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter and his skill wouldn't allow him to dominate games.

That's what makes guys like Jordan and Kobe so special. They're not physically overpowering. They're incredibly skilled at shooting/dribbling/finishing around the rim.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

Dude, just stop, Pippen dominated with his length and quickness, don't confuse him with Anthony Mason.

Pippen made All Defensive first team from '92-'99, when the hand check rule was already implemented.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Did somebody just imply that Bill Russell could play in today's NBA? That's blasphemy and preposterous. What's next? That fat, out of shape, porker Babe Ruth would rule the game of baseball like he did when entire teams were hitting 20 HRs and pitchers topped out at a 2006-Freddy Garcia like 86 MPH on their FB? Bill Russell played when there was no athleticism, everybody, even point guards, dribbled with only their strong hand, everybody was built like Wite, everybody shot in the low 40's percentage wise, and everybody played at a clown pace. Bill Russell is not even as good as Sabonis. Now there's always room for interpretation. You've got some guys who were good for their time. Then you've got Wilt, Magic, Michael, Shaq and LeBron. They'd be good ANY time. But just stop with Bill Russell. I can't take it anymore.

I don't know if anyone said that, but I kinda skipped over the long post with heights of players because comparing eras is silly. I talked about cloning Bill Russell, but still disregarded the idea.

You should just post a webpage somewhere with your feelings on Bill Russell and just add a link everytime the idea comes up so you don't have to re-type that over and over, lol.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I tend to agree with this point, although Mike was a better scorer than Lebron (Mike probably had the best midrange game ever). And with that being said, Lebron is putting up some ridiculous seasons. Lebron with competitiveness is a scary thought. I think that in itself would be dominating similarly to the 90s.

And I don't think people understand how much Mike would be able to take advantage of today's game. They don't realize what kind of impact the handcheck rule had. They seem to miss the fact that Allen Iverson had his best scoring season at the age 30 (and he relied on quickness). Kobe Bryant had his best season after the handcheck rule. Michael Jordan averaged 10 FTA a game only twice in his career (a guy that supposedly got all the superstar calls). Paul Pierce averaged 10 FTA a game after that rule was instated. Paul Pierce isn't some sort of elite level athlete either. There were at least 5 guys that averaged 10 FTA per game in the 05/06 season.

The game has turned into a game that caters to players that try emulate Michael Jordan's game. Lots of ISOs. Now put the greatest ISO player of all time in the current era and it's just wow.

This is a good point.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
Dude, just stop, Pippen dominated with his length and quickness, don't confuse him with Anthony Mason.

Pippen made All Defensive first team from '92-'99, when the hand check rule was already implemented.

And in todays game, his length and quickness would be nothing special. Most teams have a guy with those type of dimensions (though probably better built) and quickness.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't know if anyone said that, but I kinda skipped over the long post with heights of players because comparing eras is silly. I talked about cloning Bill Russell, but still disregarded the idea.

You should just post a webpage somewhere with your feelings on Bill Russell and just add a link everytime the idea comes up so you don't have to re-type that over and over, lol.

This all started with Bill Russell/Wilt. Wilt would be a beast. This is true. He translates to any era. Guys like Cousy and Russell? I'm not even sure they could play in the college game, let alone the NBA. And that's real sad considering how terrible a product college basketball has become.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)

Haven't the point per game averages come down a bunch in the last 10 years?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)

I didn't imply that Russell could dominate today, I just said we shouldn't disregard what he did because he played in a different era...basically respect what he did in his time, that's all.

I know you don't like Russell and I just find that funny.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)

That's true. Fat out of shape guys can't hit kind of like Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
And in todays game, his length and quickness would be nothing special. Most teams have a guy with those type of dimensions (though probably better built) and quickness.

Yes, you are right, muscles did not exist until 2005.

nike-air-more-uptempo__.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
WAIT, WHAT? MJ wouldn't be as good in today's NBA? Um, he'd average 35 free throws a game. He'd be BETTER in this NBA. Handcheck rule. Period.

He'd be the best player in the game. Would the numbers be exactly the same? It's up for debate, at least. I'm not sure Michael shoots 53.9% from the field like he did in 1991. The points would be easy. Put him on a team that sucks and 35 PPG is a cinch. Only thing up for debate is the god-like efficiency.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
WAIT, WHAT? MJ wouldn't be as good in today's NBA? Um, he'd average 35 free throws a game. He'd be BETTER in this NBA. Handcheck rule. Period.

ss2k5 would like you to know that you are wrong bc you weren't born 20 years ago (his words, not mine). apparently, i also was not born 20 years ago.