2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
ARGH the Bulls are such a well-built regular season team. Hopefully they can get hot when it really matters.

A marginal upgrade at the cost of depth isn't going to push them over the top. It is one thing to consider if you can get back Dwight Howard. Its quite another for a Martin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
A marginal upgrade at the cost of depth isn't going to push them over the top. It is one thing to consider if you can get back Dwight Howard. Its quite another for a Martin.

Well, Kevin Martin isn't a marginal upgrade, and my proposal included Rip Hamilton who has been of nil benefit and Kyle Korver whom we wouldn't miss with Kevin Martin on the roster.

Again, not like it would ever happen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Well, Kevin Martin isn't a marginal upgrade, and my proposal included Rip Hamilton who has been of nil benefit and Kyle Korver whom we wouldn't miss with Kevin Martin on the roster.

Again, not like it would ever happen.

Martin would be a big offensive upgrade, and a big downgrade defensively. I know everyone has completely written off Rip, but I haven't gotten there yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Martin would be a big offensive upgrade, and a big downgrade defensively. I know everyone has completely written off Rip, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Rip isn't exactly a stellar defender if I recall, so don't think the downgrade would be that big. Not too mention Rose was probably below avg. defender before Thibs got here, I'm sure on a contender Martin could at least put forth avg. defense.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Rip isn't exactly a stellar defender if I recall, so don't think the downgrade would be that big. Not too mention Rose was probably below avg. defender before Thibs got here, I'm sure on a contender Martin could at least put forth avg. defense.

Everyone has blown Rip's defensive abilities far beyond what they are because of one quote typed up when the Bulls signed him claiming that he gave D-Wade fits.

However, that was referring to the offensive end, not the defensive end, because Rip runs around screens. It had nothing to do with his defense.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
He IS the problem.

D'Antoni might still get fired. I realize Lin has probably saved him for the near term, but the team's superstars are still completely underperforming. Whether you look at Melo or Amare (who is having a bad year by his standards). The only bright side is, I got a feeling, Melo will eventually move on from New York and he might just turn back into the player that he previously was.

Like you Steve, I thought Melo was well above average in Denver. I think the difference is George Karl is an elite coach, where as D'Antoni, is a solid coach, but a very flawed coach and I don't think his overall style is conducive to Melo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Everyone has blown Rip's defensive abilities far beyond what they are because of one quote typed up when the Bulls signed him claiming that he gave D-Wade fits.

However, that was referring to the offensive end, not the defensive end, because Rip runs around screens. It had nothing to do with his defense.

First, cut the "blown", comment, it isn't necessary. Second, while people have overrated Rip's defensive ability, he is a solid defender and he can play good team defense. And part of his game is definitely wearing out his defender by running through screens, etc, which will than tire out said player on the offensive side of the court (and effective strategy).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
All of the shots taken in the NBA from 2006-2011. Proof of the lack of midrange game these days.

I would guess that that the lack of good defensive centers added with the implementing of the hand check rule (causing players to sag somewhat to prevent the drive) are some of the reasons it's like this. The midrange game is really a lost art. I still can't believe people think the NBA is "evolving". The skills have regressed so much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
D'Antoni might still get fired. I realize Lin has probably saved him for the near term, but the team's superstars are still completely underperforming. Whether you look at Melo or Amare (who is having a bad year by his standards). The only bright side is, I got a feeling, Melo will eventually move on from New York and he might just turn back into the player that he previously was.

Like you Steve, I thought Melo was well above average in Denver. I think the difference is George Karl is an elite coach, where as D'Antoni, is a solid coach, but a very flawed coach and I don't think his overall style is conducive to Melo.

Yeah, agreed. D'Antoni's system is too flawed.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I would guess that that the lack of good defensive centers added with the implementing of the hand check rule (causing players to sag somewhat to prevent the drive) are some of the reasons it's like this. The midrange game is really a lost art. I still can't believe people think the NBA is "evolving". The skills have regressed so much.

This

Athleticism is more important in today's NBA than skills.

Its not entirely that, its also risk reward. Since the invent of the 3 point line, the jump shot has dramatically changed. Whereas previously the closer to the basket was always better, now you have a situation where its often smarter to step 3-4 feet back to shoot a 3, as opposed to a long 2.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Its not entirely that, its also risk reward. Since the invent of the 3 point line, the jump shot has dramatically changed. Whereas previously the closer to the basket was always better, now you have a situation where its often smarter to step 3-4 feet back to shoot a 3, as opposed to a long 2.

There are also quite a few long twos taken though. More than the midrange shot.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
It's point per attempt? Oh wow. It's worse than I thought. I thought it was just attempts... So players get more points per long two attempt than in the midrange. Yikes.

Carlos Boozer's shot is a rarity in the league. HE'S VALUABLE YAY!!