2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Taj is the better near the rim offensive player and that's what you want in a PF. Not a PF who does 15 foot fade aways.

When Boozer takes those shots, especially if they come after Noah sets a screen for Rose, there's absolutely no one within 12 feet of the rim for a rebound. So it's either Boozer makes it, or they're going the other way. That happened repeatedly last night.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Taj is the better near the rim offensive player and that's what you want in a PF. Not a PF who does 15 foot fade aways.

With Rose as your PG, you need a PF who can knock down that jumper. Otherwise you just are bringing an extra defender to Derrick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
With Rose as your PG, you need a PF who can knock down that jumper. Otherwise you just are bringing an extra defender to Derrick.

We still haven't gotten to enjoy enough of Rip on the court. He's going to make Boozer a much better player, someone just needs to tell him "no" when he keeps trying to come back early.

Rip is so f***ing selfish and I've been saying it all year. His own statements have been that "there was no way I was going to not play in Detroit" - ridiculous, missed next two weeks with setback, and there was no way he was missing that national ABC game against the Heat - ridiculous, will miss a minimum of two more weeks with setback, and I'm guessing longer.

We just need the Bulls somewhat healthy come playoff time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
We still haven't gotten to enjoy enough of Rip on the court. He's going to make Boozer a much better player, someone just needs to tell him "no" when he keeps trying to come back early.

Rip is so f***ing selfish and I've been saying it all year. His own statements have been that "there was no way I was going to not play in Detroit" - ridiculous, missed next two weeks with setback, and there was no way he was missing that national ABC game against the Heat - ridiculous, will miss a minimum of two more weeks with setback, and I'm guessing longer.

We just need the Bulls somewhat healthy come playoff time.

That's beyond harsh. He's a competitor just like Derrick, the coaches need to tell him no, nobody with a competitive edge is going to pull themselves out of a game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
That's beyond harsh. He's a competitor just like Derrick, the coaches need to tell him no, nobody with a competitive edge is going to pull themselves out of a game.

You must have decided to ignore the 1st sentence of the post you quoted. Thanks for repeating me, though!

A timely talk by Chuck...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ga...ad-the-nba-is/1

Charles Barkley: 'I cannot believe how bad the NBA is'

By Ellen J. Horrow, USA TODAY

Updated 16h 21m ago

Charles Barkley minced no words when he called the current NBA product an embarrassment on ESPN 1000's Waddle and Silvy radio show Tuesday in Chicago.

"As an NBA fan I want to apologize to the fans," Barkley said during his on-air interview transcribed by Sports Radio Interviews. "I cannot believe how bad the NBA is right now. I'm a fan first and foremost; watching the NBA right now, I'm embarrassed about the product we're putting out there right now. It's no fun for me to watch these games. I feel bad for the fans."

Barkley, an 11-time NBA All-Star, praised the area's local team — the Chicago Bulls — and its star point guard, reigning MVP Derrick Rose. Barkley also insisted that the Bulls are one of only a handful of entertaining teams in the NBA.

"There are probably 10 teams worth watching on a nightly basis," Barkley said. "They have all these built in excuses about it's the lockout. Let me tell you something: If these teams played once a week, they would still suck. You watch one of these teams, and if they rested for a week they would still suck."

The 1993 NBA MVP insists the Bulls and the Miami Heat are far superior to anyone in the Eastern Conference. In the West, he singles out the Portland Trail Blazers, Denver Nuggets and Oklahoma City Thunder as "so far ahead of everybody it's scary." Barkley also offers some faint praise to up-and-coming teams, the Indiana Pacers and Philadelphia 76ers, currently the fourth- and fifth-best teams in the Eastern Conference.

Barkley, who says he is spending his time watching two to three college basketball games a day to prepare for his role as an analyst for CBS' and Turner Sports' coverage of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, says Bulls fans are blessed to have Rose in Chicago. The Bulls visit the Atlantic-Division leading 76ers Wednesday night.

Barkley also blasted ESPN's Skip Bayless for criticizing Rose after he missed a couple of fourth-quarter free throws in Sunday's 97-93 loss to the Heat.

"Anybody who goes after Derrick Rose is just an idiot," Barkley said. "First of all, I think Skip Bayless is the biggest punk in the world. How can you go after Derrick Rose?

"He is the reigning MVP. The Bulls have the first or second best record in the NBA. I don't understand? Those are the first two free throws he missed all year in the fourth quarter."

Listen to Barkley on 1000 ESPN Chicago here.

"Anybody who goes after Derrick Rose is just an idiot," Barkley said. "First of all, I think Skip Bayless is the biggest punk in the world. How can you go after Derrick Rose?

Chuck, this is why everyone who has a brain ignores Skip Bayless. His brother makes great Mexican, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)

Meh. I agree that there are some pretty bad teams, especially in the eastern conference right now. But to act as if the lockout has nothing to do with the league-wide drop in production and overall bad play is silly. Hell, look at Dirk Nowitzki. He's become the poster boy for not ready for season to start. Before this year, the league had been as entertaining as it had been since the early 90's. The last six or seven drafts prior to this year have been incredible. Scoring/pace had gone up considerably with the new rules that cater to guards/wings and the implementation of the zone defense, which in turn has put more emphasis on ball movement and 3-point shooting. Everything will be back to normal next year. The game is fine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Meh. I agree that there are some pretty bad teams, especially in the eastern conference right now. But to act as if the lockout has nothing to do with the league-wide drop in production and overall bad play is silly. Hell, look at Dirk Nowitzki. He's become the poster boy for not ready for season to start. Before this year, the league had been as entertaining as it had been since the early 90's. The last six or seven drafts prior to this year have been incredible. Scoring/pace had gone up considerably with the new rules that cater to guards/wings and the implementation of the zone defense, which in turn has put more emphasis on ball movement and 3-point shooting. Everything will be back to normal next year. The game is fine.

There was also an article today about Noah saying he let his contract dollars effect his play.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Isnt the reason Dirk isnt ready because he played for Germany in some Euro games over the summer?

NEW ORLEANS — Dirk Nowitzki will sit out for at least four games for the Dallas Mavericks so the star forward can get in better game shape while strengthening his sore right knee.

"We just thought it was a good decision for everybody. I'm not happy right now anyway, so the guys are better off when I'm not out there," Nowitzki said. "This gives me time to really do some of the stuff that I couldn't do when my knee was bothering me the last couple weeks. I couldn't lift and run and do the things I needed to do."

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said he and the Mavericks' training staff decided Nowitzki needed "an uninterrupted eight days of work to resolve some physical issues and conditioning issues," adding that Nowitzki had "no choice" in the matter.

"He's going to be busting his (behind) this week. We're going to be on him hard," Carlisle added.

Saturday, Lamar Odom scored 16 points in his first start as the Mavericks overcame the absence of Nowitzki by beating New Orleans 83-81

This was from about 10 days ago. There's a difference between nursing an injury and not being in shape.

Edited by Jordan4life

J4l,

Right but the reason is because he played in the Euro games.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/...-championships/

On Wednesday, he said a combination of last season’s run to the championship, followed by playing for Germany in the Olympic qualifying tournament in late summer and then a long layoff are at the root of his knee problem. ‘It’s just getting back in the groove,’ Nowitzki said. ‘We didn’t have the training camp that we wanted to. After the Euros [the Olympic qualifying tournament last summer] I was just sick of basketball, but I probably took too long of a time off, so it’s going to take me a while to get back into it.
Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
J4l,

Right but the reason is because he played in the Euro games.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/...-championships/

Then he owes the Mavs, the fans, and the NBA an apology. Because he's been worse than Carlos Boozer. Imagine if this were LeBron.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Then he owes the Mavs, the fans, and the NBA an apology. Because he's been worse than Carlos Boozer. Imagine if this were LeBron.

LeBron didn't just win his franchise their 1st ever NBA title. I'm sure the Mavs and their fans are OK right now, the team is 14-9 & leading their division. As long he is ready & in top shape by playoff time, no big deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
LeBron didn't just win his franchise their 1st ever NBA title. I'm sure the Mavs and their fans are OK right now, the team is 14-9 & leading their division. As long he is ready & in top shape by playoff time, no big deal.

No, LeBron could've broken his leg and he'd be crucified if he came into the season all out of shape. Michael and Scottie (Scottie twice) competed in the Olympics after winning a title and didn't use that as an excuse to come into the next season out of shape. I love Dirk. One of the 15 best players the game has ever seen, IMO. But he gets no play here.