2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
I have a hard time turning off MacGruber whenever it's playing on HBO.

It's funny. Stupid, but funny. I think that's the only time Will Forte has ever been funny.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Avengers trailer looks cool, but that's a really tough project. The lead up movies have all been good (other than Captain America, meh) so I'm still looking forward to it, but it's very hard to throw all these developed characters together and have a good story. Then again, I'd be happy if it was just a 90-minute fight scene with all those superheroes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
That Avengers trailer looks cool, but that's a really tough project. The lead up movies have all been good (other than Captain America, meh) so I'm still looking forward to it, but it's very hard to throw all these developed characters together and have a good story. Then again, I'd be happy if it was just a 90-minute fight scene with all those superheroes.

It really isnt, the scripts are out there in the form of many many comic books. I am pretty sure when The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were filmed in 08, Marvel had a Avengers idea in mind, so they basically gave themselves 4 years and 5 movies leading up to it so they could get it right.

That isnt to say that they cannot screw it up, because they certainly can.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I think I'm in the minority but I thought that movie was way overrated. The death sequences were pretty neat, the cinematography was good, and the main bad dude who does voices in the Simpsons was great (and needs to be in more bad-guy movies). But the movie itself was just boring as hell. I think Gosling had, in all seriousness, 10 total lines the entire movie. He just kept staring into the camera. I didn't really care for the ending either.

I've heard people suggest as much before I viewed it, and after watching it I agree. "Drive" was probably created as a modern day "Thief" (which, if anyone hasn't seen, is very underrated) and although it doesn't draw all the comparisons, they have the same feel. If nothing else the director admires the work of Michael Mann.

Mann, from my perspective, is excellent at character development. You care about the people in his movie. This was lacking with both Gosling AND Mulligan; a problem considering they're main characters. Gosling rarely displayed emotion and neither did she. They were terrible for each other; neither cared whether or not they were together. It was as if all they did together was sit, say a few words, then stare off into the LA skyline. Standard probably viewed Gosling as the harmless, potentially gay male friend. And when they kissed in the elevator it was ridiculous more than anything else. Yeah, it's exactly the moment no one aside from Gosling's fans were waiting for. And what better way to follow up that moment than to repeatedly stomp a hole in a man's skull. Mulligan, of course, exists the elevator and does nothing but stare afterward.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 06:38 AM)
It really isnt, the scripts are out there in the form of many many comic books. I am pretty sure when The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were filmed in 08, Marvel had a Avengers idea in mind, so they basically gave themselves 4 years and 5 movies leading up to it so they could get it right.

That isnt to say that they cannot screw it up, because they certainly can.

I'm probably going to get killed for this, but just because they made comics doesn't mean the stories didn't completely suck. It still remains very difficult to mesh that many lead characters together, no matter what you have to work with.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I'm probably going to get killed for this, but just because they made comics doesn't mean the stories didn't completely suck. It still remains very difficult to mesh that many lead characters together, no matter what you have to work with.

I'm in agreement with you.

I think that trailer looks awful. I can't believe people actually enjoy these movies. Iron Man? Crap. Thor? Crap. The Incredible Hulk? Crap. (didn't see Captain American, assume it's crap). I guess if you were a big fan of the comic as a kid (I was not) I could see where you'd be excited. But just as another summer action flick? Meh. Transformers trailers look cool too, but then you watch the movie.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)

No, I wont kill you for it. There were plenty of storylines in all comics that were hilariously bad and embarrassing. But at the same time there is also a well established set of stories that a director has in hand that he/she can put into a movie, and these stories are very well regarded and read over and over. Like I said, it can totally get screwed up, I understand that. I dont think it will, but it could be

And jenksismyb****, you hate everything. So your take doesnt surprise me. :D

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

I think that trailer looks awful. I can't believe people actually enjoy these movies. Iron Man? Crap. Thor? Crap. The Incredible Hulk? Crap. (didn't see Captain American, assume it's crap). I guess if you were a big fan of the comic as a kid (I was not) I could see where you'd be excited. But just as another summer action flick? Meh. Transformers trailers look cool too, but then you watch the movie.

I was never a comic book fan, but damn. You seriously don't like anything, do you? I hate on a lot of stuff, and we hate a lot of the same things, but you dwarf me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
No, I wont kill you for it. There were plenty of storylines in all comics that were hilariously bad and embarrassing. But at the same time there is also a well established set of stories that a director has in hand that he/she can put into a movie, and these stories are very well regarded and read over and over. Like I said, it can totally get screwed up, I understand that. I dont think it will, but it could be

And jenksismyb****, you hate everything. So your take doesnt surprise me. :D

To put it simply, they can't allow it to be bad. They've put years and multiple movies together with the Avengers movies as the ultimate goal. It would be, IMO, one of the greatest flops in the history of cinema for them to fumble this.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
I was never a comic book fan, but damn. You seriously don't like anything, do you? I hate on a lot of stuff, and we hate a lot of the same things, but you dwarf me.

Lol, perhaps I should tone it down a touch. I just recommended girl with a dragon tattoo. That was good.

Movies for me are such a time commitment that it needs to be good or it's a waste of time. Action flicks these days are becoming reality TV. They have terrible characters and generally make little to no sense. Give me a good comedy or a good drama over these comic book action flicks any day of the week.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Lol, perhaps I should tone it down a touch. I just recommended girl with a dragon tattoo. That was good.

Movies for me are such a time commitment that it needs to be good or it's a waste of time. Action flicks these days are becoming reality TV. They have terrible characters and generally make little to no sense. Give me a good comedy or a good drama over these comic book action flicks any day of the week.

I was one of the ones that thought that was only pretty good. As to your other statements, I agree. I just think that these recent comic book movies have been very good. Iron Man II wasn't very good and Captain America was average to me, but the rest I really enjoyed.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
I was one of the ones that thought that was only pretty good. As to your other statements, I agree. I just think that these recent comic book movies have been very good. Iron Man II wasn't very good and Captain America was average to me, but the rest I really enjoyed.

I think inherently I dislike them too because they're the least creative movies made. They're based heavily on a source material that people already like. It's Hollywood being lazy, especially when they make 2, 3, 4+ movies about them, often times without changing the style at all.

I think that's what differentiates Nolan's batman movies with Favreau's Iron Man movies. One is a unique, newly created version of a basic story, the other is basically just bringing the comic book to life through a done-a-hundred-times-before production.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)

We've definitely been over saturated with comic movies, but I think most of the Avenger lead in movies were good.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I love all the recent comic book movies. As a long time comic book fan, they seem to be finally getting them right.

FINALLY the studios are starting to realize that you cannot mess with the source material. Fans will kill it, repeatedly.

It also helps that Marvel launched their own studio, so they have creative control now

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

Those are some damn enjoyable movies (well, save Incredible Hulk and IM2).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
I think inherently I dislike them too because they're the least creative movies made. They're based heavily on a source material that people already like. It's Hollywood being lazy, especially when they make 2, 3, 4+ movies about them, often times without changing the style at all.

I think that's what differentiates Nolan's batman movies with Favreau's Iron Man movies. One is a unique, newly created version of a basic story, the other is basically just bringing the comic book to life through a done-a-hundred-times-before production.

LOL no it is not. They are based on the Batman graphic novels. The only movie that stands alone is Batman Begins, but TDK is basically The Long Halloween, and lots of the trailers are making people think that TDKR is going to be a new take on Frank Millers "The Dark Knight" as well as Knightfall.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
LOL no it is not. They are based on the Batman graphic novels. The only movie that stands alone is Batman Begins, but TDK is basically The Long Halloween, and lots of the trailers are making people think that TDKR is going to be a new take on Frank Millers "The Dark Knight" as well as Knightfall.

But everything about how the movie is made - from the acting, the cinematography, the music/sound effects, etc - is not a cookie cutter production. It's breaking the mold and thinking outside the box. I'm not suggesting that it's the best movie ever, but for a comic book movie it definitely stands apart.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
But everything about how the movie is made - from the acting, the cinematography, the music/sound effects, etc - is not a cookie cutter production. It's breaking the mold and thinking outside the box. I'm not suggesting that it's the best movie ever, but for a comic book movie it definitely stands apart.

And thats the thing about why I disagree with you here. Captain America, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man are all different movies in tone, subject matter and delivery. You telling me that they are cookie cutter movies tells me you either didnt watch them, or decided ahead of time that you hate them and wont bother to watch much to give them a chance.

The entire Avengers story is an evolving story. Hopefully they can continue to push it towards the Civil war storyline, because if they can pull that one off I will be a very happy person.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
And thats the thing about why I disagree with you here. Captain America, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man are all different movies in tone, subject matter and delivery. You telling me that they are cookie cutter movies tells me you either didnt watch them, or decided ahead of time that you hate them and wont bother to watch much to give them a chance.

The entire Avengers story is an evolving story. Hopefully they can continue to push it towards the Civil war storyline, because if they can pull that one off I will be a very happy person.

I admitted I have a bias towards these movies, so i'm sure that plays a part. But I did watch three of those four (no Captain America) and I just didn't see anything different about them. The way the movie was presented wasn't anything new or innovative, the acting wasn't anything to write home about, the scale seemed much smaller (i.e, the locations and filming at those locations), and I dunno, just seemed to me that these movies are just cash cows.

IMO BB and TDK were more artistic. Yes, at their core they're still about a comic book hero with lots of explosions. But the entire feel was "this is bad ass." I'm sure if you were big into the Avengers as a kid this would be a great movie and the ones preceding it would be great. I just don't see it. To each his own.

I thought the first Iron Man did a great job of showing the back story. Personally I prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight other than Heath Ledger because the story was much better. To say the Batman movies had that feel and Iron Man didn't is curious to me.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
I admitted I have a bias towards these movies, so i'm sure that plays a part. But I did watch three of those four (no Captain America) and I just didn't see anything different about them. The way the movie was presented wasn't anything new or innovative, the acting wasn't anything to write home about, the scale seemed much smaller (i.e, the locations and filming at those locations), and I dunno, just seemed to me that these movies are just cash cows.

IMO BB and TDK were more artistic. Yes, at their core they're still about a comic book hero with lots of explosions. But the entire feel was "this is bad ass." I'm sure if you were big into the Avengers as a kid this would be a great movie and the ones preceding it would be great. I just don't see it. To each his own.

I wasn't a fan of them at all. The most I ever got into superheroes was watching the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons. I still like the movies, though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
I thought the first Iron Man did a great job of showing the back story. Personally I prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight other than Heath Ledger because the story was much better. To say the Batman movies had that feel and Iron Man didn't is curious to me.

I remember arguing that on this site. Too bad you weren't around to help me out :lol:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
I remember arguing that on this site. Too bad you weren't around to help me out :lol:

The hype for DK was just too strong. It was a great movie, and it gave fans everything they wanted, but yes, Batman Begins on the whole is a better film. I love them both.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
The hype for DK was just too strong. It was a great movie, and it gave fans everything they wanted, but yes, Batman Begins on the whole is a better film. I love them both.

Where the hell were you?! I was getting massacred for that opinion.