2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
What?

I don't get the love. I liked it, but it wasn't great.

Don't know....I LIKED Crank (the first one) and was entertained by it, especially the hyperkinetic feel and the pretty bold "sex in the public" scene...but I wouldn't call it a career milestone or anything like that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
The Grey was a nifty little flick. Definitely not a happy ending, feel good story in any way, shape or form.

Ebert made an interesting comment, that he'd never once walked out of a theater when reviewing a film...but that he did for the 2nd movie in a row he was watching after The Grey.

I don't think it was THAT chilling or depressing, any more than INTO THE WILD or similar "survival" movies.

That one where the three kids were stranded on the ski lift with the wolves actually got to me more than The Grey.

That said, Liam Neeson's having quite an impressive run now as an action star. Lots of actors of that same ilk putting out stuff recently, Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington fall into that same category where every project they're involved in makes $20-30 million the opening weekend.

That's kind of clunky, as it could be read that he walked out of the two movies he viewed after he completed The Grey. But I assume you're saying that he walked out of The Grey. What is the other?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Especially when you basically just copied another version that was just made.

I'm assuming not that many people saw the Swedish original. Plus I think Fincher's version is much more polished. It had more things going for it it including a better cast and soundtrack.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
I'm assuming not that many people saw the Swedish original. Plus I think Fincher's version is much more polished. It had more things going for it it including a better cast and soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure Fincher watched the Swedish version though...:)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
That's kind of clunky, as it could be read that he walked out of the two movies he viewed after he completed The Grey. But I assume you're saying that he walked out of The Grey. What is the other?

The movie immediately being previewed after THE GREY, he walked out of...as he didn't feel he could give it a fair review in light of the pervasively negative afterglow of Liam Neeson's flick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
I'm pretty sure Fincher watched the Swedish version though...:)

It was probably more the story than the execution. I never read the books and really had no idea what the whole story was going to be about, other than some kind of murder mystery. It was 2.5 hrs long and i never felt bored. I was pretty enthralled through the whole thing. Daniel Craig wasn't his annoying Bond character he plays all the time, and Rooney Mara. Wow. The sex scenes were hot.

My favorite part was that my wife and I, both 29 years old, went to the 6:15 show. We walked in to the theater about 6:17 so the lights were off and some previews had started. We found a spot in the middle of the theater (it was packed) and got comfortable. At the end of the movie the house lights came up and we turned around to find that we were probably two of the six total people under the age of 65. I s*** you not it was like 60-70 people from a nursing home came on buses to this thing. I'm talking geriatric patients - walkers, wheelchairs, nothing but white/grey hair. It was really odd. Especially since some of those sex scenes were quite explicit.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
It was probably more the story than the execution. I never read the books and really had no idea what the whole story was going to be about, other than some kind of murder mystery. It was 2.5 hrs long and i never felt bored. I was pretty enthralled through the whole thing. Daniel Craig wasn't his annoying Bond character he plays all the time, and Rooney Mara. Wow. The sex scenes were hot.

My favorite part was that my wife and I, both 29 years old, went to the 6:15 show. We walked in to the theater about 6:17 so the lights were off and some previews had started. We found a spot in the middle of the theater (it was packed) and got comfortable. At the end of the movie the house lights came up and we turned around to find that we were probably two of the six total people under the age of 65. I s*** you not it was like 60-70 people from a nursing home came on buses to this thing. I'm talking geriatric patients - walkers, wheelchairs, nothing but white/grey hair. It was really odd. Especially since some of those sex scenes were quite explicit.

Hah!

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Fincher version better myself, but I think the first deserves a lot of credit because Fincher's version was VERY similar to the Swedish version. Yes, it was a bit darker, and yes, Rooney Mara put her own spin on the Lisbeth Sander, but they both obviously went to school on the first version of the three films.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
I don't think I've ever once thought Into the Wild was chilling or depressing. Almost completely the opposite. Easily in my top 5 of all time.

Really?

And back to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I didn't find Rooney Mara attractive at all. That goth/emo look with tons of piercings simply does not do it for me. I had to look at Google pictures of her to see that she was actually an attractive woman.

Safe House...literally a very "safe," formulaic movie that felt like about 10 other similar spy/CIA genre flicks crossed with Bourne and Man On Fire with a dash of Ryan Reynolds' "blank charm" thrown in for good measure.

It's one of those movies that's neither bad nor good, that gets a 2 1/2 or 2.75 star rating and I honestly couldn't say if seeing it in a theatre or waiting for the DVD/rental would be worth it or not.

Maybe because I like Denzel Washington so much, and Reynolds is at worst tolerable, then I'd barely recommend it. Vera Farmiga was wasted and Brendan Gleeson needs a lot more roles like THE GUARD and IN BRUGES, or GANGS of NY.

He's one of those guys like Brian Cox you can never quite trust whether he's bad or good in any movie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 04:32 AM)
Safe House...literally a very "safe," formulaic movie that felt like about 10 other similar spy/CIA genre flicks crossed with Bourne and Man On Fire with a dash of Ryan Reynolds' "blank charm" thrown in for good measure.

It's one of those movies that's neither bad nor good, that gets a 2 1/2 or 2.75 star rating and I honestly couldn't say if seeing it in a theatre or waiting for the DVD/rental would be worth it or not.

Maybe because I like Denzel Washington so much, and Reynolds is at worst tolerable, then I'd barely recommend it. Vera Farmiga was wasted and Brendan Gleeson needs a lot more roles like THE GUARD and IN BRUGES, or GANGS of NY.

He's one of those guys like Brian Cox you can never quite trust whether he's bad or good in any movie.

I can't think of a single movie where Gleeson is a bad guy, unless you count the first Harry Potter he was in. And that was someone impersonating his good character.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Take Shelter...terrific...but at least Warhorse and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got nods from the Academy.

One is about 9/11 and features Tom Hanks. The other is an inspirational Spielberg flick about an underdog animal that gives us all hope. That's all the reasoning you need.

Saw Chronicle last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife on the other hand...gave me this cold stare at what a terrible movie I had picked, haha. Really an enjoyable flick.

But last week we rented Twighlight so I got to choose this week (thankfully). And yes, I have seen every Twilight movie. Most are bearable, the last one...awful.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
I can't think of a single movie where Gleeson is a bad guy, unless you count the first Harry Potter he was in. And that was someone impersonating his good character.

One is about 9/11 and features Tom Hanks. The other is an inspirational Spielberg flick about an underdog animal that gives us all hope. That's all the reasoning you need.

What I mean is that he's usually somewhat ambiguous...if he's a "good guy" or hero/protagonist, he's usually doing some things that make you wonder "what the fuc*?" He just did what? If he's a bad guy or psuedo-villain, he usually has redeeming characteristics that make you empathize with him despite yourself.

The Guard is a good example.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
"In Time" was f***ing terrible. We shut that trash off.

Amanda Seyfried's getting annoying, too.

She's kind of morphing into Scarlett Johannson #2. (Although Scar-Jo was fairly tolerable in WE BOUGHT A ZOO).

Give me Anne Hathaway or Rachel McAdams anytime!

And, the jury's still out on whether Justin Timberlake can carry a movie on his own or not. Mixed evidence, at best.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
I agree, but they were more just action movies whereas the original trilogy had more to it story wise and a lot better acting. It's kinda like how people hate on Matrix 2 and 3. The second Matrix movie is one of the best action movies ever IMO, but it's not the psychological thriller like the original. Now the third Matrix, meh, but it still had great scenes.

Nailed it on the head, Dan. I think that one guy in 3 who kept saying "goddamn" every other word was annoying. And I like to use that word myself, so that's saying something.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 12:30 AM)
Really?

And back to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I didn't find Rooney Mara attractive at all. That goth/emo look with tons of piercings simply does not do it for me. I had to look at Google pictures of her to see that she was actually an attractive woman.

I thought that at first, but some of those sex scenes were hot. And she looked pretty good as the blonde.