southsider2k5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/whit..._medium=twitter

White Sox Still Listening On Gavin Floyd

By Tim Dierkes [January 17, 2012 at 9:15am CST]

We haven't heard a ton about righty Gavin Floyd lately, but the White Sox are still listening on the soon-to-be 29-year-old, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. White Sox GM Kenny Williams has traded Carlos Quentin, Sergio Santos, and Jason Frasor this winter, but he's held onto his starting pitching and even extended John Danks.

This winter top young starters Michael Pineda, Mat Latos, Gio Gonzalez, and Trevor Cahill have been traded, but all came with at least four years of team control. Floyd and crosstown hurler Matt Garza are in the next tier along with Jair Jurrjens, with two years of control at higher prices. Two years of Floyd will cost $16.5MM in salary plus prospects. Floyd is capable of 30 starts and a sub-4.00 ERA, so he's still plenty valuable and may represent a more reasonable commitment than a four-year deal for Edwin Jackson. The Yankees figure to be done rotation shopping, but the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Pirates are potential fits in my opinion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Gavin Floyd's price tag remains high, sources say

Nice to hear. It should be. KW does not have to move him and he is solid. This is not a fire sale. If the Sox can get a good deal and make the team better, then great. If not, I look forward to watching Gavin win for the Sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Does Baltimore have anything of value to trade to Chicago? Almost all of those starters they had never panned out.

They have some prospects of worth. Bundy won't (and can't) be traded. Machado is going nowhere. I'm sure one or two of Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz are guys Kenny thinks Coop could fix. Though who knows how the O's view Matusz currently. Was a mess last year. Bucket noted Parker Bridwell in the past, but he's far from a centerpiece of a trade at this point. I'd like Kenny to stay away from the major league ready but struggling O's pitchers myself. Not sold on any of them. I like Britton, but he's staying put.

Top 20 Orioles Prospects 2012

Edited by DirtySox

I know it would not be the White Sox way of doing things, but if Floyd was traded, I'd like him to go to the Pirates with the Sox paying part of his salary. If the Sox have their budget issues under control, then the return for Floyd would be much better the more the Sox pay. A cash strapped borderline contender like the Pirates may give up some good prospects. I'm not talking about paying all of his salary, but if the Sox were to pick up 1 million this year and 3 next year, I would imagine that would make the return more interesting. Something similar could happen with the Blue Jays if they really are hitting a spending limit.

If Floyd is traded, then these are the type of packages I'd like to see from the following teams:

Toronto Blue Jays:

Trade Floyd for a package of Drew Hutchison, Jake Marisnick, and Adeiny Hechevarria. (Swap Hechevarria for Deck McGuire if possible)

Boston Red Sox:

Trade Floyd for a package of Bryce Brentz, Will Middlebrooks, and Ryan Lavarnway. (Brentz is the guy I'd really like to acquire from the Red Sox, along with Lavarnway as a close 2nd. Lavarnway can replace Flowers in the depth chart)

Baltimore:

Not really interested in any players from the Baltimore system. :-\

Pittsburgh Pirates:

Trade Floyd, Morel, and a low level prospct for Pedro Alvarez and Kyle McPherson. (I doubt the Pirates would be a good trade partner for the Sox because of how Floyd's contract being a little too pricey for them, but I'd LOVE to see Pedro Alvarez on the Sox.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
If Floyd is traded, then these are the type of packages I'd like to see from the following teams:

Toronto Blue Jays:

Trade Floyd for a package of Drew Hutchison, Jake Marisnick, and Adeiny Hechevarria. (Swap Hechevarria for Deck McGuire if possible)

Boston Red Sox:

Trade Floyd for a package of Bryce Brentz, Will Middlebrooks, and Ryan Lavarnway. (Brentz is the guy I'd really like to acquire from the Red Sox, along with Lavarnway as a close 2nd. Lavarnway can replace Flowers in the depth chart)

Baltimore:

Pittsburgh Pirates:

Trade Floyd, Morel, and a low level prospct for Pedro Alvarez and Kyle McPherson. (I doubt the Pirates would be a good trade partner for the Sox because of how Floyd's contract being a little too pricey for them, but I'd LOVE to see Pedro Alvarez on the Sox.

If we got Lavarnway or Hechevarria for Floyd I'd flip s***.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)

Toronto Blue Jays:

Boston Red Sox:

Baltimore:

Pittsburgh Pirates:

First 2 packages won't happen. They are both drastic overpays.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

I can dream, can't I? ;-)

As for all the players in the Blue Jays' system, I really really really hope that if the Sox trade Floyd to them, that Drew Hutchison is included in the return package. I'm very high on Hutchison, I think he'll be better than Deck McGuire, and he dosnt have as much fanfare as McGuire, so I think Hutchison can be had.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
I can dream, can't I? ;-)

As for all the players in the Blue Jays' system, I really really really hope that if the Sox trade Floyd to them, that Drew Hutchison is included in the return package. I'm very high on Hutchison, I think he'll be better than Deck McGuire, and he dosnt have as much fanfare as McGuire, so I think Hutchison can be had.

Hutchinson is a reasonable name that would headline a Floyd trade I'd imagine. I'd be fine with it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
If we don't get a solid overpay for him, there's little to no reason to move him.

Agreed. I don't need to see 100 losses to call it a rebuild.

Please forgive me, and my short-sightedness. :unsure:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
If we don't get a solid overpay for him, there's little to no reason to move him.

The novel thing to do is keep him and build up our starting staff. It seems everyone we have in the system now is pegged for relief. Pitching is the name of the game

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

I don't see why teams would give up much at all for Floyd. He's not even league average.

If/when the Sox deal Floyd, there are going to be some upset posters here given what should be a pretty lackluster return.