PENN STATE SCANDAL

Texsox

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
Now might be the right time to mention that head football coaches are not given the power to arrest people or charge them with crimes.

Thanks for the brilliant insight. Here we were debating whether or not Joe Paterno should have arrested Sandusky and charged him with a crime and not one of us realized this until you contributed to the thread.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
I will say that from all accounts JoePa seemed like a great guy for 99.9% of his life. But that 0.1% may have ruined several kids' lives, so I don't think you can just ignore it.

You're right, you can't just ignore it. However, my problem with the opinions many in this thread are expressing is that they are ignoring everything else. I'm not even saying you don't let the scandal tarnish a majority of his legacy; just that it shouldn't be his ENTIRE legacy.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
Now might be the right time to mention that head football coaches are not given the power to arrest people or charge them with crimes.

Now might be the right time to mention that popular sports figures have extraordinary privilege in our society and that Paterno essentially ran happy valley.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
Unless Mcquery(sp?) was willing to talk to police there was nothing to be done, we don't know if he was or not. There is a lot about the situation we won't ever know.

We know Paterno recently claimed to not even comprehend what McQuery meant when he described the male rape, which strains all credibility.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:08 AM)
You're right, you can't just ignore it. However, my problem with the opinions many in this thread are expressing is that they are ignoring everything else. I'm not even saying you don't let the scandal tarnish a majority of his legacy; just that it shouldn't be his ENTIRE legacy.

Few things in this life are more despicable than kiddie rape. The hell with everything else Paterno ever did. This overrides everything, and then some.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
We know Paterno recently claimed to not even comprehend what McQuery meant when he described the male rape, which strains all credibility.

We also know the guy was 85 when making the statement and clearly not all there anymore, again we don't know all the details so while its sick the 2 people that I have enough information to think poorly of are Sandusky and the guy who witnessed it and failed to call police. Paterno obviously could have done more but without being in his shoes and knowing everything its hard to put as much blame as some of you have been on him.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
We also know the guy was 85 when making the statement and clearly not all there anymore, again we don't know all the details so while its sick the 2 people that I have enough information to think poorly of are Sandusky and the guy who witnessed it and failed to call police. Paterno obviously could have done more but without being in his shoes and knowing everything its hard to put as much blame as some of you have been on him.

Most people in their 70's, especially in the 2000's with the catholic abuse problems, can comprehend what "man raping a boy" means. Hell, the same would be true of most people who are 85. He wasn't senile.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
Most people in their 70's, especially in the 2000's with the catholic abuse problems, can comprehend what "man raping a boy" means. Hell, the same would be true of most people who are 85. He wasn't senile.

Everytime I heard him talk he sounded like an idiot in recent history, so who knows how all there he was and who knows exactly what Mcqueary told him.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Everytime I heard him talk he sounded like an idiot in recent history, so who knows how all there he was and who knows exactly what Mcqueary told him.

This isnt something that happened yesterday. Hes known about it for years and was still the head coach of huge college football program so give the "Hes old and confused" excuse a rest. Its amazing, youre being so critical of what other people are saying because we dont have all the facts, but neither do you and youre using ridiculous reasons to try to validate what youre saying. Do you have any proof that he didnt know exactly what was going on and was trying to cover it up? No, of course not. But do you have any proof that he was so senile he couldnt comprehend what he had been told? Nope, you certainly do not. So if youre going to try and discredit anything someone else says because we dont know all the details, then take your own advice.

Also, for the 100th time, nobody is saying what JP did was WORSE then what McQuery or Sandusky did, but that doesnt make it ok or not bad in its own right.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
This isnt something that happened yesterday. Hes known about it for years and was still the head coach of huge college football program so give the "Hes old and confused" excuse a rest. Its amazing, youre being so critical of what other people are saying because we dont have all the facts, but neither do you and youre using ridiculous reasons to try to validate what youre saying. Do you have any proof that he didnt know exactly what was going on and was trying to cover it up? No, of course not. But do you have any proof that he was so senile he couldnt comprehend what he had been told? Nope, you certainly do not. So if youre going to try and discredit anything someone else says because we dont know all the details, then take your own advice.

Also, for the 100th time, nobody is saying what JP did was WORSE then what McQuery or Sandusky did, but that doesnt make it ok or not bad in its own right.

I never once said he is 100% innocent in the scandal, just stating that he isn't as horrible a human being as many seem to think and the fact that we don't know all the details so who could say what was really related to him. We do know that there was a firsthand witness who decided not to report the case to the police and the police knew something was wrong with Sandusky and failed to act in the past. There is a long list of people who are more at fault than Paterno and people act like he was some sort of demigod and had the state at his every command.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
First of all, stop with the if this was Joe's son, daughter, grandson or whatever he would've done differently. Everybody puts their own first before all else and would do s*** without a moment's thought that they wouldn't do for somebody else who wasn't as close to them. This isn't the "Good Son" where the woman at the end chose to let her son die and save her nephew. That would never, ever happen in real life. Secondly, I can think of a lot of reasons on why Joe wouldn't immediately call the police based off of something somebody else told him. The obvious one being this was a close and respected friend of his and accusations like this can, you know, ruin lives.

Yeah he'd hate to ruin his friend's life by having him put behind bars and stopping him from having sex with 8 year olds. If you really believe your statement, it just proves Paterno was not half the man he was propped up to be. Joe was the boss, his ex player and his current coach came over to his house with his father and told him about this, and its not the first time Sandusky had been accused of doing things with little boys. Joe decided to do the minimum so his friend could continue to get his way with the troubled kids in his children's camp. There is no reason, none, that Paterno should have sat on this. He demanded more from his players, he should have expected the same out of himself.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Damn straight I mocked his death and I'll continue to do so. You can look at it anyway you want, the bastard enabled child rape. f*** him.

This

I bet those who still think he was a great guy who could've done more would be singing a different tune if it were their kid who Sandusky was raping.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
I never once said he is 100% innocent in the scandal, just stating that he isn't as horrible a human being as many seem to think and the fact that we don't know all the details so who could say what was really related to him. We do know that there was a firsthand witness who decided not to report the case to the police and the police knew something was wrong with Sandusky and failed to act in the past. There is a long list of people who are more at fault than Paterno and people act like he was some sort of demigod and had the state at his every command.

You dont know more then anyone else yet you keep acting as if you do. How do you know what kind of a human being he is? You dont, youre only going off his public image. Ive said in just about EVERY SINGLE POST that I know there are people who are much more at fault the JP, but you just keep ignoring that because your argument is so weak that you have nothing else to say. This thread isnt about McQuery or Sandusky, obviously what they did is worse and in Sanduskys case much worse BUT THIS THREAD ISNT TALKING ABOUT THEM. Just because other peoples actions were worse doesnt make what JP did any better. One thing has nothing to do with the other right now. The fact that you said you think if Joe Paterno walked into a police station at Penn State that they would turn him away and not listen to what he had to say is honestly one of the most ridiculous things Ive heard in a very long time. I get that you want to blindly defend this guy, not sure why but whatever, but if you dont know any more about him then the next guy then maybe think twice before you try to discredit someone elses comments and implement your own.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
You dont know more then anyone else yet you keep acting as if you do. How do you know what kind of a human being he is? You dont, youre only going off his public image. Ive said in just about EVERY SINGLE POST that I know there are people who are much more at fault the JP, but you just keep ignoring that because your argument is so weak that you have nothing else to say. This thread isnt about McQuery or Sandusky, obviously what they did is worse and in Sanduskys case much worse BUT THIS THREAD ISNT TALKING ABOUT THEM. Just because other peoples actions were worse doesnt make what JP did any better. One thing has nothing to do with the other right now. The fact that you said you think if Joe Paterno walked into a police station at Penn State that they would turn him away and not listen to what he had to say is honestly one of the most ridiculous things Ive heard in a very long time. I get that you want to blindly defend this guy, not sure why but whatever, but if you dont know any more about him then the next guy then maybe think twice before you try to discredit someone elses comments and implement your own.

You constantly pick at things instead of an entire message and than on top of that you misinterpret to or exaggerate what I said. I never once hinted at knowing more than anyone else and I never said Joe Paterno is completely innocent in all this, but I'm done arguing with a brick wall.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
You constantly pick at things instead of an entire message and than on top of that you misinterpret to or exaggerate what I said. I never once hinted at knowing more than anyone else and I never said Joe Paterno is completely innocent in all this, but I'm done arguing with a brick wall.

Ok kettle

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Boers & Bernstein have absolutely gone all in on this issue. It's the main topic they have been discussing for months, and are still at it today, just tearing into JoePa.

Those two dolts love to point their finger at anyone they can.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Who mocked his death?

I just have an issue with his MASSIVE mistake, which could have prevented children from being raped, gets casually tossed aside now that he's dead.

You expect any better? This is the same society that canonized Michael Jackson the second he died.