Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
Won't matter with a swiss cheese o-line, no solid receivers, and a horrible coaching staff.

The front line O-Line actually performed well enough last night that the Titans announcers were openly praising them at the start of the 2nd half as having a great night.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
i really dont care what the talk is about the number 1 wide reciever, in my mind it is gonna be Bennett this season and it isnt even close. Not only does Jay love to throw to him in high pressure situations, but the guy is always where he is supposed to be and is really good about taking extra yards.

Jenksy, i dont think this line is nearly as bad as you think it is. it is not a great or even good line by any stretch, but it is much better than last season. i think jay will have more time to get things done back there

I think Sanzenbacher is going to really help with the clutch-WR performance, especially around 3rd down.

"I've known Earl for a long time," Cutler said. "Earl hasn't changed one iota since his freshman year at Vandy, and he probably never will. I just feel comfortable with him out there. He does what he is supposed to do. In a couple of words, he's just a football player.

"We need a couple more of those in the locker room."

Ouch.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
How's Forte been looking this year? He's on my fantasy team!

He's looking just as good as he did last year but he also looks to have an upgraded O-line to run behind and a better backup RB. And probably better supporting QB play as well.

He might not get a lot of touches near the goal line though.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
Season hasn't even started yet, and he is (IMO) already the best O-Lineman we got.

Good news: J'Marcus Webb probably played his best game at left tackle. Bad news: Gabe Carimi might have played his worst game at right tackle.

Carimi got off to a rough start and wasn't as technically sound as he had been in previous outings, but he settled down as the game went on.

He appeared to make a mental error on the first pass of the game, and defensive end Dave Ball subsequently drove Cutler into the ground on a pass to Williams. On the second play, Carimi lost his balance and was knocked to the ground by Ball. Carimi later had a false start.

Carimi was solid in the run game. A highlight was the push he and right guard Lance Louis provided on Caleb Hanie's fourth-and-1 quarterback sneak.

Webb also played physically and avoided the penalties that have been commonplace with him. On Cutler's 18-yard pass to Bennett, Webb blew out defensive tackle Marcus Sheppard.

Link

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
bye bye Vernon Gholston too

Dude showed nothing in the opportunities he got. Amobi Okoye, however, looks like he could be a starting DT by the end of the year. Has a great first step and has (i believe) 3 sacks in the preseason so far.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
That is kind of surprising. I thought he would at least stick on the roster, but he must have shown nothing in practice too.

He received a $250,000 signing bonus, he must have shown absolutely nothing to warrant being released before final cuts. Although the team might have just wanted to allow him to find a new team ASAP.

Still, he was bad.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
He received a $250,000 signing bonus, he must have shown absolutely nothing to warrant being released before final cuts. Although the team might have just wanted to allow him to find a new team ASAP.

Still, he was bad.

Honestly I don't see the Bears caring enough to help him find another team. You do that for guys who have either been around for a while, or have been good to your organization.

Cowboys released PRO BOWL CENTER Andre Gurode.

The overhaul of the Cowboys' offensive line is virtually complete. Leonard Davis and Marc Colombo were both released earlier this offseason as head coach Jason Garrett goes with a smaller, cheaper unit. The Cowboys save $5.5 million against the cap with this move. Gurode, 32, is a five-time Pro Bowler that will attract attention on the open market, possibly from a team like the Dolphins.

I wish the Bears would sign him and get him in here immediately.

The Bears have asked Chester Taylor to return to their facility Monday after deciding to release him earlier in the day.

According to ESPN Chicago, the Bears' coaching staff wants to keep Taylor, while the front office is pulling for his release

this.f***ing.team.

I understand why people would want that.

I will also note that the objection, which I at least quasi-endorse, is that the line has been playing together with this roster pretty much all of training camp. Adding in another guy who would be wanting to start at the end of camp would be a disruption of a group that at least for now is doing its job.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
The Bears have asked Chester Taylor to return to their facility Monday after deciding to release him earlier in the day.

According to ESPN Chicago, the Bears' coaching staff wants to keep Taylor, while the front office is pulling for his release

this.f***ing.team.

The Bears are a professional football team, yes? How does this s*** happen? First the Ravens trade screw up, then the family night fiasco and now this. WTF. No wonder we can't win the Superbowl.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
I understand why people would want that.

I will also note that the objection, which I at least quasi-endorse, is that the line has been playing together with this roster pretty much all of training camp. Adding in another guy who would be wanting to start at the end of camp would be a disruption of a group that at least for now is doing its job.

It's a tough decision to make, do you sign ANOTHER center, who might provide you with the best line possible (Webb-Williams-Gurode-Garza-Carimi), or do you go with what you have because they have been playing together for the past 4-5 weeks and haven't played overly bad.

Since the bears already spent 3 million on Spencer, I don't see them bringing in Gurode. I also don't see Mike Tice supporting a move that would disrupt the group he has been touting all preseason long.