Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I've suggested to a couple Raiders fans that the best thing for that franchise would be for Al Davis to die. I don't know if there is a Rocky Wirtz waiting in the wings, but simply getting out from under his control would do wonders for that team.

For the rest of us as well...have you seen him recently?

I was watching the ESPN 30 for 30 "Straight Out of LA" and even Ice Cube looked afraid while he was interviewing Davis.

Pieces of his face are literally falling off while he talks...

Offensive line actually looked pretty good in that 1st half. A couple mistakes here and there, but there's 2 weeks to get those fixed. Run game looked alright, Cutler looked good with all the time he had. Defense was alright, a little vulnerable to the run, which should be expected with Briggs out. Wright had a pretty bad game, but if that's the only bad thing on the defense, they'll be just fine. Peppers was a monster.

No issues with how the first team O-line played. They mostly gave Cutler time to throw and he did, and he was pretty accurate. The one sack was his fault, he moved out of the pocket and didn't bother trying to get rid of it. Run blocking left something to be desired, but you won't get perfection every game. Not worried about the D. Most of the points scored by the Giants were against the second unit and the blocked punt was too, I think (a blatantly blown gap assignment, it looked like).

Roy Williams dropped one pass on 3rd down by pretty much being a p****, and the second one went thru his arms but it had a higher degree of difficulty and he was being obviously held, but I guess they don't make those calls in the preseason. Peppers dominated, they didn't call a hold and a clip against him. Also Hester can't drop those passes in the end zone, I don't care if he has a guy on his back.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
I missed the game, outside of this did he at least look good?

What else was happening in the game. I only watched f***ing scores on my phone.

On that particular play, he made a clutch catch. He just needs to get out of bounds. I didn't see it but my friend said he saw Cutler's lips say "GET OUT OF BOUNDS"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
On that particular play, he made a clutch catch. He just needs to get out of bounds. I didn't see it but my friend said he saw Cutler's lips say "GET OUT OF BOUNDS"

It wasn't so much that he didn't get out of bounds as much as he didn't just go down right away. We had 2 time outs with like 12 seconds left, so while it would have been ok to go out of bounds, it also was fine that he tried to get extra yardage. The problem was that he ended up getting no extra yardage and kind of danced around wasting time while doing so. Had he just went right down after he realized he couldn't break it for a bit of extra yardage, taking the time out wouldn't have hurt us.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
The rumor that Roy Williams is going to reinvent himself back under Mike Martz is a joke. This guy can't catch for s*** and always has a million excuses.

Just after watching a few plays, it's obvious how much a receiver as tall as Roy can help Cutler. The problem is he has to be able to catch the f***ing ball too, and so far Williams is not capable of that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
Just after watching a few plays, it's obvious how much a receiver as tall as Roy can help Cutler. The problem is he has to be able to catch the f***ing ball too, and so far Williams is not capable of that.

Yeah, the fact that williams was tall was the reason Cutler was able to get the ball onto his hands on those 2 failed throws.

I find it odd how coaches really think those games mean anything. The blocked punt was a 4th and 1 from the 49 with 40 seconds left. Why not go for it?

Also what is the purpose of kicking 20 yard field goals? That was another time I thought they should have gone for it.

If Knox played like Williams last night, he would be out the door.

Williams excuses are not even viable.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
I find it odd how coaches really think those games mean anything. The blocked punt was a 4th and 1 from the 49 with 40 seconds left. Why not go for it?

Also what is the purpose of kicking 20 yard field goals? That was another time I thought they should have gone for it.

If Knox played like Williams last night, he would be out the door.

Williams excuses are not even viable.

Your special teams do need practice in game situations as well. And you don't wanna show off all of your special 4th down plays in the preseason.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Offensive line actually looked pretty good in that 1st half. A couple mistakes here and there, but there's 2 weeks to get those fixed. Run game looked alright, Cutler looked good with all the time he had. Defense was alright, a little vulnerable to the run, which should be expected with Briggs out. Wright had a pretty bad game, but if that's the only bad thing on the defense, they'll be just fine. Peppers was a monster.

I was really pleased with Cutler. Good footwork and nice decisions. In fact I noticed a couple plays where he looked off the defense and made some nice reads (showing his comfort in year two of the offense). He got hung out to dry on wideout drops, including a couple big third down drops and than there was Hester's slip in the end zone. Roy Williams looked real bad today. Just one game but catch the ball.

Defense had a couple solid drives but than obviously got crushed. Part of that was due to turnovers, poor field position, and of course the fact that we play a base defefnse throughout the preseason (not blitzes, minimal changing things up).

We left the game healthy and despite the blowout score, I saw plenty to be pleased with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
and Roy Williams needs to catch those balls or be replaced.

He is going to piss off alot of Bear fans this season. I still want to see him make his money in the red zone though. Let Bennett and the other WRs make their living off those crucial 3rd/4th down plays. Hester is just not a great option to work those tough battles in the red zone.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
He is going to piss off alot of Bear fans this season. I still want to see him make his money in the red zone though. Let Bennett and the other WRs make their living off those crucial 3rd/4th down plays. Hester is just not a great option to work those tough battles in the red zone.

Sorry, a guy anointed our #1 WR needs to catch most balls that hit his hands.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)

Cool, thats usually not his style, he has a high football IQ.