7-Year Old Girl Cut From Baseball Team

hogan873

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
So now that you have kids, and some others do not, that immediately qualifies you to be like the youth sports overlord? Or is it because you umpired when you were in HS?

Who do you think you are that you can determine who gets to have an opinion on something and whose commentary is worthy of posting?

Plus we all know that once you have a kid, you automatically become a good parent.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have to say, wrestling is different, for all the obvious reasons. Not sure that is a good idea. But, since there usually is no girls' alternative, I guess it makes sense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
So now that you have kids, and some others do not, that immediately qualifies you to be like the youth sports overlord? Or is it because you umpired when you were in HS?

Who do you think you are that you can determine who gets to have an opinion on something and whose commentary is worthy of posting?

Wow. Overlord? People can say whatever they want. I can also point out how silly I think others' views are. Who do I think I am? An internet message board poster. Who are you?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Plus we all know that once you have a kid, you automatically become a good parent.

Very definitely not, as evidenced by some of the stories here, like the one in the article. But as a parent, you sure do have a different perspective on kids' sports. Seems kind of obvious, doesn't it?

I do think it is interesting, most of the people posting in here about being reasonable and fair with young kids, have kids... and the people who seem to like the idea of 1st graders getting cut to field a more competitive team don't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Very definitely not, as evidenced by some of the stories here, like the one in the article. But as a parent, you sure do have a different perspective on kids' sports. Seems kind of obvious, doesn't it?

I do think it is interesting, most of the people posting in here about being reasonable and fair with young kids, have kids... and the people who seem to like the idea of 1st graders getting cut to field a more competitive team don't.

I never said anything about that. I don't know when they should start being competitive (I guess around 4th grade?), but this is only a story because it's a girl. It's a girl on a boys team. If her parents are so concerned, they should start up a girls league. Otherwise, tough s***.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
I do have to say, wrestling is different, for all the obvious reasons. Not sure that is a good idea. But, since there usually is no girls' alternative, I guess it makes sense.

Wow. Overlord? People can say whatever they want. I can also point out how silly I think others' views are. Who do I think I am? An internet message board poster. Who are you?

Well you seem to have a recent habit of asking "Why did you even bother to post" if you don't agree with the content of someone else's post. That would seem to imply as though you are the one who ultimately decides whether someone is fit to post or not, and thus, the overlord crack.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Well you seem to have a recent habit of asking "Why did you even bother to post" if you don't agree with the content of someone else's post. That would seem to imply as though you are the one who ultimately decides whether someone is fit to post or not, and thus, the overlord crack.

I did ask Steve that, but not because of his view on the issue. Because, if you see his response, it is clear he didn't even bother to read the article being discussed. It was like walking into a room, shouting a random non-sequitor, and leaving. Why bother?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)

No one here has made the statement that a 1st grader should be cut.

Secondly, I have friends with children and family members with children and I probably spend a hell of a lot more time playing and teaching them sports than you have any clue about.

Thirdly, how old are your kids? A bit of a lesson at the age of 12 or so about the fact that some kids are better at sports and thus deserve to play more than they do might ease the pain a bit when they get cut from their freshman baseball team or when they ride the pine every game on the junior varsity field hockey team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
I did ask Steve that, but not because of his view on the issue. Because, if you see his response, it is clear he didn't even bother to read the article being discussed. It was like walking into a room, shouting a random non-sequitor, and leaving. Why bother?

You did the same to me yesterday.

It has more to do with you disagreeing and trying to belittle someone by pointing out their ignorance. Why bother posting that?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
No one here has made the statement that a 1st grader should be cut.

Secondly, I have friends with children and family members with children and I probably spend a hell of a lot more time playing and teaching them sports than you have any clue about.

Thirdly, how old are your kids? A bit of a lesson at the age of 12 or so about the fact that some kids are better at sports and thus deserve to play more than they do might ease the pain a bit when they get cut from their freshman baseball team or when they ride the pine every game on the junior varsity field hockey team.

On your first point, yes, they did. Right in the thread.

Second point, that's great! Hope its fun!

Third point, a 12 year old is a lot different than a 7 year old. At age 7, they are in their first year (likely) of organized baseball. And at age 12, five years in, I fully expect players to get more playing time based on performance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
You did the same to me yesterday.

It has more to do with you disagreeing and trying to belittle someone by pointing out their ignorance. Why bother posting that?

When people say something ignorant and empty, I will point it out for what it is. Call it what you'd like.

And I don't think people who disagree with my on this are ignorant or anything like that, by the way. I disagree with them, but I can see people's points about when they should be more competitive, girls vs boys as seperate or together, boys on softball, etc. You didn't and wouldn't hear me say that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
On your first point, yes, they did. Right in the thread.

Second point, that's great! Hope its fun!

Third point, a 12 year old is a lot different than a 7 year old. At age 7, they are in their first year (likely) of organized baseball. And at age 12, five years in, I fully expect players to get more playing time based on performance.

Where?

As to the third point, no one has really disagreed with that sentiment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
When people say something ignorant and empty, I will point it out for what it is. Call it what you'd like.

And I don't think people who disagree with my on this are ignorant or anything like that, by the way. I disagree with them, but I can see people's points about when they should be more competitive, girls vs boys as seperate or together, boys on softball, etc. You didn't and wouldn't hear me say that.

And I'll call you a condescending overlord self-important control freak.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I don't think kids should be cut from sports teams, at least not until jr high but I hate the idea of completely disregarding winning/losing. I was a kid not too long ago and I wanted to win and hated losing and the sport would be very dull if those werent important factors. I was only in the town public leagues but end of year we still had a playoffs and whatnot once we got probably in 4th or 5th grade.

In my school district we have a no cut policy. No one is ever cut from any of our squads. BTW our varsity football team just won our district for the 4th or 5th year in a row. Notice you aren't guaranteed to play, or even wear a uniform on game day, but you are never cut.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
In my school district we have a no cut policy. No one is ever cut from any of our squads. BTW our varsity football team just won our district for the 4th or 5th year in a row. Notice you aren't guaranteed to play, or even wear a uniform on game day, but you are never cut.

Until what age?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Where?

Seems pretty clear what, for example, these posters think...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
The fact that things like this are even news just shows how big of p*****s we are anymore.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
The pussification of america has been in full force for years

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Someone start a girls league, then people won't b**** when a girl is cut from a boy league. And seriously, buy the kid a f***ing sundae and she won't even care anymore. It's the parents that are b****es.

Seems they think the reaction to this is about being a "p****", which I think is sad and more than a little sexist considering the context. But regardless, it is their view.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
And I'll call you a condescending overlord self-important control freak.

Feel free. Hope it makes you feel better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Seems pretty clear what, for example, these posters think...

Seems they think the reaction to this is about being a "p****", which I think is sad and more than a little sexist considering the context. But regardless, it is their view.

Feel free. Hope it makes you feel better.

Often times, a thread inspires discussion on a related point or topic. Simply because a reply is located within the thread does not mean that the points discussed within those replies go directly to the topic of the thread or the article that inspired the thread.

Those replies, as well as my own, obviously go to the general issue the thread raised. They are a commentary on the general topic.

No where is there a reply by anyone that states 6-7 year old students should be cut.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
Often times, a thread inspires discussion on a related point or topic. Simply because a reply is located within the thread does not mean that the points discussed within those replies go directly to the topic of the thread or the article that inspired the thread.

Those replies, as well as my own, obviously go to the general issue the thread raised. They are a commentary on the general topic.

No where is there a reply by anyone that states 6-7 year old students should be cut.

Go read Steve's post again if you'd like. It wasn't an inspired discussion, it was him deciding what the article was about without reading it.

When all else fails, resort to the pedantic. No one said the exact words "6-7 year olds should be cut". That is true. If you want to take that and interperet it to fit your needs, go right ahead. But everyone reading this thread understood those posts just fine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Go read Steve's post again if you'd like. It wasn't an inspired discussion, it was him deciding what the article was about without reading it.

When all else fails, resort to the pedantic. No one said the exact words "6-7 year olds should be cut". That is true. If you want to take that and interperet it to fit your needs, go right ahead. But everyone reading this thread understood those posts just fine.

That this is only news because it's a girl? I bet if I asked around in only my immediate area, I can find stories of young boys being cut. But a girl was cut from a boys team and somebody better burn a cross on that coach's lawn.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)

If I'm never going to get a chance to play I might as well be a waterboy in that case..... I'm assuming your talking about highschool in which case I'd rather play on the JV team than sit on varsity and if you aren't good enough to play on JV you probably need to take up a different sport/hobby.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)

Oh Christ, get over yourself.

The coach apparently has made a decision, which appears to be within his power, to move the team to a more competitive, all-boys league. Also, apparently, that girls' brother could be moved to a league where she can play if it's such a big deal to him.

The title of the article was so ridiculously leading that it honestly did not originally warrant a read. This is the internet. "Oh hey, look controversy! Get me clicks, get me reads, woooooo!!! I have written something completely leading and made assumptions and presented it mostly as fact!"

There are options for this girl. There are options for her brother if he in fact has any interest playing on a team where they point out his sister is better than he is (sounds fun). There are places this family can go. Instead, let's start a big piss party about it and try to stop a team from playing more competitive rosters next year.

Fun for everyone. Make sure they all get a trophy, too.

Regardless of the questionable wisdom behind pushing to get a group of 7-year-olds into a "more competitive" baseball league, the unnamed coach himself insisted in his conversation with their mother that Anna was a better player than her younger brother, even though Carson would be allowed to keep playing while Anna would not. In addition to Anna, one other girl and other boys that had played on the team are reportedly being cut to make the team more competitive.

This whole article is bulls***. The above paragraph completely ignores the point. That girl could hit 30 homeruns (yes, of course exaggerating) in a season and it still wouldn't matter. Why?

BECAUSE THE LEAGUE DOESN'T ALLOW GIRLS TO PLAY.

"I root for her on the team, and she's just a good person to play with on the baseball team," Carson Kimball told KDFW. "I just think if I can't be on the same team as my sister I should just quit on the team I was playing."

Jeez, even the 6 year old understands it. Find a new team if you have to play with your big sis. That's sure going to be healthy moving forward, by the way.

So yes, NSS, your ability to impregnate a woman and your esteemed history of umping baseball in high school clearly make your opinion much better than anyone else's here. My stance is that this article is trying to create news where news isn't... these parents have options.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)

Sorry, but as much as I often disagree with Steve, the fact that he is mocking the misleading nature of the title, I did not read that as "First graders should be cut from their sports teams."

Secondly, you seemed to imply there was more than just one poster of this belief, since you posted something to the effect of "the people without kids seem to be the ones in favor of 6-7 year olds getting cut." Are all those "people" just Steve?

Edited by iamshack