7-Year Old Girl Cut From Baseball Team

hogan873

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Actually my high school didn't have men's volleyball. There were a few of us guys that liked to play and we were pretty good. The volleyball coach said we could join and we almost did. She told us we'd have to wear the same uniforms at the girls though.

I think generally there aren't many boys volleyball teams and if boys starting playing on those girls teams there would be outcries. Someone tried it a few years behind me in school and they were basically told not to try

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
You should see cuts if necessary, not for the sake of it. If a kid isn't good enough,

I agree with the first, question the latter . . .

Good enough to receive instruction? Good enough to learn sportsmanship, hard work, and teamwork? Last year our turnout for 7th grade basketball was so high we put together a "D" team. Those kids had a blast. I was lucky enough to help out with a couple of their practices. For some of the kids, it was their very first time playing basketball. It was great to see how much they improved by the end of the season. We had close to 60 boys playing basketball last year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
I think generally there aren't many boys volleyball teams and if boys starting playing on those girls teams there would be outcries. Someone tried it a few years behind me in school and they were basically told not to try

They way I always understood it was that if the school doesn't offer the sport for both boys and girls, either one can try out for the same team.

That's why girls were always welcome to try out for football and guys for cheerleading. Not that any ever did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
You are into the ages where real competition should be happening.

OK. Do you really believe there is value in the competition for kids who are nine and ten years old?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
I agree with the first, question the latter . . .

Good enough to receive instruction? Good enough to learn sportsmanship, hard work, and teamwork? Last year our turnout for 7th grade basketball was so high we put together a "D" team. Those kids had a blast. I was lucky enough to help out with a couple of their practices. For some of the kids, it was their very first time playing basketball. It was great to see how much they improved by the end of the season. We had close to 60 boys playing basketball last year.

That's different. If there are numbers and the school budget allows it then absolutely that is a great idea. Fact is however, that extra teams frequently can not fit into budgets or generate enough interest from kids and coaches.

If kids want instruction you can create after school activities to provide it. Frankly, kids who have little to no experience in a sport should not be expected to be able to compete with kids who have worked hard to make themselves already good and/or are just gifted at it. What you did sounds like a perfect solution.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
They way I always understood it was that if the school doesn't offer the sport for both boys and girls, either one can try out for the same team.

That's why girls were always welcome to try out for football and guys for cheerleading. Not that any ever did.

Legally yes. But that doesn't mean it is easy for people to do it. Several years ago one of the local field hockey teams had 2 boys on it who were among the better players in the region. Although they were allowed to play there were petitions and complaints to remove them because other teams felt it made for unfair competitive advantage.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
OK. Do you really believe there is value in the competition for kids who are nine and ten years old?

Kind of. I believe the foundation is being set, it's bigger than the game being played. It's about kids understanding they won't always win and when you do win, how to win graciously. They are starting to understand what being on a team means and trying hard to help their teammates succeed. In a perfect world of course...

To be clear, I do think there should be winners and losers even at ages 6 and 7. Scores should be kept, albeit casually. I just don't think you start cutting players for a few years, and then only when necessary. As the kids eventually reach Jr High, where the teams play the best players to win, the rest tend to drop off on their own anyway.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Get over your need to endlessly correct or criticize people for whatever reason you do it (I could only guess, to be honest).

Seriously? You of all people telling others to get over something?

I am assuming that most people here believe sports have a value and make a positive impact on people, especially on young people. There are so many great lessons that are learned when you participate in a sport. Why then would anyone advocate for limiting that experience? We should be in the business of promoting sports and working towards having more kids participate, not less. There isn't nearly as many lessons to learn in being cut as there are in being made part of a team and participating.

The value of sports on a person's development should not be limited to being cut from a team when you are nine or ten years old.

Is it really so bad to make specific sports guys or girls only? I understand that some may want to play even though they are a different gender, but guys playing field hockey could be completely unfair, as men and women are just built different physically.

I couldn't imagine boys playing on our high school softball team, it would end up mostly just being guys playing with a few girls (probably mostly pitchers) left.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
That's different. If there are numbers and the school budget allows it then absolutely that is a great idea. Fact is however, that extra teams frequently can not fit into budgets or generate enough interest from kids and coaches.

If kids want instruction you can create after school activities to provide it. Frankly, kids who have little to no experience in a sport should not be expected to be able to compete with kids who have worked hard to make themselves already good and/or are just gifted at it. What you did sounds like a perfect solution.

Budgets are a concern. The uniforms were shared and we couldn't always get appropriate games for them. Our athletic coordinator "took one for the team (coaches)" and coached them himself, saving the school a coaches stipend. They only had one referee working their games. To save on travel time, they also played a shorter game. We do budget for football A and B teams and boys basketball A, B, and C teams. Girls volleyball also has a C team, but IIRC basketball stopped at a B team. Track is a zoo.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)

There's been some efforts to study the impact of Title IX on both male and female sports opportunities.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/201...-title-ix_N.htm

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Budgets are a concern. The uniforms were shared and we couldn't always get appropriate games for them. Our athletic coordinator "took one for the team (coaches)" and coached them himself, saving the school a coaches stipend. They only had one referee working their games. To save on travel time, they also played a shorter game. We do budget for football A and B teams and boys basketball A, B, and C teams. Girls volleyball also has a C team, but IIRC basketball stopped at a B team. Track is a zoo.

The city and state's taxpayers should be embarrassed by what you just wrote.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Don't have enough money for coaches or for teams to actually give people who want to participate an option of actually doing so? Cutting events back to save money on travel time? That's just sad.

They would have been cut. There is no official league for a D team in our district. Our AQ hustled up games for these kids. Trying to twist this into a negative makes me laugh.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
To be clear, I do think there should be winners and losers even at ages 6 and 7. Scores should be kept, albeit casually. I just don't think you start cutting players for a few years, and then only when necessary. As the kids eventually reach Jr High, where the teams play the best players to win, the rest tend to drop off on their own anyway.

Seriously? You of all people telling others to get over something?

I'd appreciate a PM with you elaborate on the meaning of this.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)

And all of that useless, extra work could have been avoided with a few simple words. You're cut because you aren't good enough. Go train on your own and try again next year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
And all of that useless, extra work could have been avoided with a few simple words. You're cut because you aren't good enough. Go train on your own and try again next year.

It is only useless, extra work if you do not believe sports makes a positive influence on someone. If you believe participating in sports makes a positive impact on a young person, it isn't useless. Not even close.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
It is only useless, extra work if you do not believe sports makes a positive influence on someone. If you believe participating in sports makes a positive impact on a young person, it isn't useless. Not even close.

That sounds like it's straight from an after-school special, or at least Lifetime.