The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Cats have individual personalities, like people.

Some are shy, some are friendly, much of it depends on the type of environment they were raised in, or whether they were ever in the wild.

The cats actions may not make sense to you, but they could be perfectly logical.

Cats are awesome. No two are alike.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
haha

I like dogs, they are just too time consuming for the style of life I lead right now. I feel guilty leaving my cats when I go out at night and they have 2 booda domes, 2 water bowls, a water fountain and free rein of an apartment.

Bingo. Cats fit the lifestyle.

And since this is the pet thread.

I was at Lincoln Square Mai Fest Saturday, and one of my biggest pet peeves is bringing a dog to an outdoor festival that is cramped like that. There was this one guy who was pouring beer on the ground for his dog to drink, letting his dog eat garbage (he said it was okay because the dog was old) and just letting his dog get trampled on.

I just dont understand it. Just like the people who bring their children there.

Under what circumstances is this a good idea. I am not considered a responsible person, I take many risks, but you dont put your kids/pets in harms way.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

I was at Lincoln Square Mai Fest Saturday, and one of my biggest pet peeves is bringing a dog to an outdoor festival that is cramped like that. There was this one guy who was pouring beer on the ground for his dog to drink, letting his dog eat garbage (he said it was okay because the dog was old) and just letting his dog get trampled on.

Under what circumstances is this a good idea. I am not considered a responsible person, I take many risks, but you dont put your kids/pets in harms way.

I brought my dog to italian fest on taylor years ago and never would again. It scared the s*** out of her, there was tons of crap laying around like wing bones etc that would make her sick and it was annoying to me. IMO its either the "my dog is the coolest" crowd that brings them to everything (and some are chill and awesome) or the "look at me I own a dog" crowd.

I doubt any dog owner in this thread would approve of those actions either.

Im not saying any dog owner in this thread would approve, although you never know.

The dog was really nice, I just felt terrible for the dog. That place is a s*** show and you have your dog laying on the ground eating garbage and drinking beer.

Its even different if you just bring it for a minute or 2 and leave, but this guy was there to pick up chicks with his cool Huskie.

I don't think going to the Lincoln Square Mai Fest is a good idea with or without a dog.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I assume obedience classes would help with her biting us/gnawing at us?

She developed this the past few weeks. Loves biting at us or our clothing. Stern no's and a toy in her mouth don't always work. She'll even lunge at our faces - which is kind of funny, but ridiculous. I know it's all being playful (I think), but she will not close her mouth sometimes.

Sounds like a bite inhibition issue. How old was the dog when it was separated from it's littermates? It's easy to correct with an "ahnt " or yelp.

Even if you have a huge yard, it's important to still walk your dog for the bonding IMO.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Sounds like a bite inhibition issue. How old was the dog when it was separated from it's littermates? It's easy to correct with an "ahnt " or yelp.

Even if you have a huge yard, it's important to still walk your dog for the bonding IMO.

About 8 weeks when separated. Have had her for 2 months, but the biting thing wasn't an issue until the past few weeks. Initially the yelping like a dog got her to stop really quickly, now she just moves past it like nothing happened.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
About 8 weeks when separated. Have had her for 2 months, but the biting thing wasn't an issue until the past few weeks. Initially the yelping like a dog got her to stop really quickly, now she just moves past it like nothing happened.

The biting was the worst phase when mine was a pup.mthey grow out of it once their adult teeth come in. May take until it's a year.

I just kept my eye on him and when he started chewing something he shouldn't have, I directed him to chew on something else.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)

You're on the right path. Like others have said, it's something you want to nip in the bud before some idiot freaks out on you.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
I personally do not suggest ever letting a stranger on the street touch your pet.

They are always the people that get bit by a dog and then want money or for the dog to be put down. If they want to have fun with an animal, they can get their own.

I have a problem with every person with a dog wanting their dog and my dog to be BFF's. If I'm walking my dog, leave me alone. My dog's don't like your dog and don't want to be besties. I really hate that s***. I don't have dogs to meet people.

Or...you could just choose a dog with a good temperament and socialize him well...and not worry about him biting random people because he won't do so unless he or you is legitimately threatened...

Most dogs are a bit more intelligent than people give them credit for.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
I personally do not suggest ever letting a stranger on the street touch your pet.

They are always the people that get bit by a dog and then want money or for the dog to be put down. If they want to have fun with an animal, they can get their own.

Lawyered!

We've had to e-collar our dog for the last two weeks when we aren't home or are asleep. Just gives me the saddest look like, "Are you kidding me?". Makes me feel so bad. :(

He occasionally starts licking/gnawing on his paw or leg, but he usually stops before he does serious damage, maybe just some fur comes off. (It's not that often, so I don't thinnk it's allergies) This time he just went to town, and took off the fur and skin, and it just became a nasty open wound. We got it bandaged up, but he immediately chewed the bandage off, so e-collar was the only option.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Most dogs are a bit more intelligent than people give them credit for.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
He occasionally starts licking/gnawing on his paw or leg, but he usually stops before he does serious damage, maybe just some fur comes off. (It's not that often, so I don't thinnk it's allergies) This time he just went to town, and took off the fur and skin, and it just became a nasty open wound.