2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Forgive me, but what is a "bounty program"? I assume some reward system for hitting certain players.

Not just hitting players, but injuring them and knocking them out of the game I believe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
45 catches, 540 yards, 5 TD's. Very similar to the kind of numbers he put up in Chicago.

Which would have put him 2nd on the Bears in catches (behind Forte, more than any WR), 2nd in yards, and tied for 1st in TDs with his replacement Kellen Davis

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
He wasn't exactly stellar in Carolina last year, was he?

That was with Cam Newton throwing to him... something tells me Jay Cutler might have passed a bit more at the goal line.

It was a fail. A big, fat fail. Olsen had plenty of speed to be a nice target in a 4-wide set if Martz wanted to have a TE that blocked. He certainly would have been a better WR this year than Roy f***ing Williams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline.

NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches.

Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

I'm not surprised that this was going on, but I hope multiple people are fired or suspended long time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
That was with Cam Newton throwing to him... something tells me Jay Cutler might have passed a bit more at the goal line.

It was a fail. A big, fat fail. Olsen had plenty of speed to be a nice target in a 4-wide set if Martz wanted to have a TE that blocked. He certainly would have been a better WR this year than Roy f***ing Williams.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Martz was a terrible fit from day one and forcing one of the few decent offensive players out the door because you're too inflexible is awful. But Olsen's been somewhat of a bust.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I thought Martz was a terrible fit from day one and forcing one of the few decent offensive players out the door because you're too inflexible is awful. But Olsen's been somewhat of a bust.

Yeah, sure, considering he was a 1st round pick, I can agree that he has been somewhat of a bust. But considering the other pass catchers on the Bears roster, they definitely should have held onto him and made it work. It's not like he was signed away by big money in free agency, they traded him for a low round pick.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL has determined that MLB Jonathan Vilma was one of the primary culprits in the Saints' "pay for performance" bounty program that will result in NFL discipline.

"In the week of the NFC Championship Game," Schefter said on NFL Live Friday, "Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma put $10,000 in cash on a table and said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'" Those weren't Vilma's exact words, but they were similar, according to Schefter, and he's sure to be atop the league's target list for impending discipline. It's worth nothing that Vilma is due $5.4 million in 2012 and has been discussed as a possible salary cap casualty. We wouldn't expect him back with the Saints.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)

Like others mentioned, Olsen wasn't exactly tearing it up like people thought he would in CAR. And even then, we got great value out of him with a 3rd round pick.

I am with you, thought, in regards to Martz. Hated the hiring. Hated his philosophies.

I think I've come up with my best-case-scanario (realistically) for the Bears:

- Sign one of Vincent Jackson/Marques Colston

- 1st round, pick one of Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins, Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus, Mark Barron,

- 2nd round, best WR/TE available, pick one of Kendall Wright, Muhamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles

There's also some secondary WR guys I like such as AJ Jenkins, Jarius Wright, TY Hilton, Marvin McNutt, and Juron Criner.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
I think I've come up with my best-case-scanario (realistically) for the Bears:

- Sign one of Vincent Jackson/Marques Colston

- 1st round, pick one of Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins, Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus, Mark Barron,

- 2nd round, best WR/TE available, pick one of Kendall Wright, Muhamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles

There's also some secondary WR guys I like such as AJ Jenkins, Jarius Wright, TY Hilton, Marvin McNutt, and Juron Criner.

So don't address the offensive line at all?

Honestly, Kirkpatrick and Jenkins might not even be there, but even if they were I wouldn't take them. I'd take a guy like Casey Hayward later on. I'd see what the Bears do in FA and then draft based off that. If they sign VJ or MC, then I either take a DL or a guy like Cordy Glenn at 19. If the Bears sign a starting OL, then I pray and hope Michael Floyd is there.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
So don't address the offensive line at all?

This really isn't a great draft for o-linemen and all signs point to the organization feeling that the OL isn't a priority. They'll surely be bringing one in via free agency though. Plus, again, we have two 3rd round picks.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
This really isn't a great draft for o-linemen and all signs point to the organization feeling that the OL isn't a priority. They'll surely be bringing one in via free agency though. Plus, again, we have two 3rd round picks.

This is a pretty good draft for CBs though. I don't know why we should take one in the first round. I think it should be either a DE or an offensive player (OL or WR) for sure.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
This is a pretty good draft for CBs though. I don't know why we should take one in the first round. I think it should be either a DE or an offensive player (OL or WR) for sure.

Kirkpatrick, Claiborne and Jenkins are a ways above the rest of the CB crop.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)

If the Saints can't afford Carl Nicks, offer him the moon. He's a guard, not a tackle, but he's still one of the best in the league.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Kirkpatrick, Claiborne and Jenkins are a ways above the rest of the CB crop.

With the cover 2 that Lovie plays, it usually doesn't need guys to be elite man coverage wise. Obviously, those three can all play in the cover 2 scheme, but their talent would be wasted a bit. Our corners play a lot of zones or play in 2 man under where they have help if they're beat deep. A guy like Casey Hayward, who looks like a perfect cover 2 guy, could be just as good for the Bears later on, but won't cost a first round pick.

From a pure talent standpoint, sure, those guys are great. That's why there is a good likelihood that they won't even be there at 19. You have to take scheme into account though.

Take a guy like Namdi for example. An elite cover guy that was utilized in man defenses with oakland. He flourished. He goes to Philadelphia, where they having him play zones more and he's CONSIDERABLY worse.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
If the Saints can't afford Carl Nicks, offer him the moon. He's a guard, not a tackle, but he's still one of the best in the league.

Exactly. I think I said a while back the Bears should go after whichever of Colston/Nicks that they don't franchise. Which has become more likely with the Brees situation. Nicks is arguably the best OG in the league.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
With the cover 2 that Lovie plays, it usually doesn't need guys to be elite man coverage wise. Obviously, those three can all play in the cover 2 scheme, but their talent would be wasted a bit. Our corners play a lot of zones or play in 2 man under where they have help if they're beat deep. A guy like Casey Hayward, who looks like a perfect cover 2 guy, could be just as good for the Bears later on, but won't cost a first round pick.

From a pure talent standpoint, sure, those guys are great. That's why there is a good likelihood that they won't even be there at 19. You have to take scheme into account though.

Take a guy like Namdi for example. An elite cover guy that was utilized in man defenses with oakland. He flourished. He goes to Philadelphia, where they having him play zones more and he's CONSIDERABLY worse.

Claiborne most certainly won't be there, but the off field issues for Jenkins and Kirkpatrick could keep them around. And FWIW, I didn't say we HAD to take a DB in the first round...