2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler didnt have a great game, but he definitely played well enough to win. Hester and Davis once again were total let downs, and Alshon had a chance to make a great play as well. I will give Jeffery a small pass given that he is a rookie and has not been on the field much this year, but going forward those are plays he needs to make.

Cutler's mechanics were really horrible yesterday. There were a couple of throws he made from his back foot even though he had a pocket and could've stepped into the throw. You can't blame him too much, he has a horrible O line and is probably shell shocked. He made some bad decisions, made some bad throws, had two TDs dropped and made a few nice passes.

My only hope vs Green Bay is that it's not a nationally televised night game...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Cutler didnt have a great game, but he definitely played well enough to win. Hester and Davis once again were total let downs, and Alshon had a chance to make a great play as well. I will give Jeffery a small pass given that he is a rookie and has not been on the field much this year, but going forward those are plays he needs to make.

To be fair, Cutler made a couple of bad overthrows on a wide open Davis, Hester's TD drop was inexcuseable.

What the hell happened to Hester, he hasn't even been close to breaking a return the last bunch of games?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
The Bears dropped 6 passes and 2 were TD's. The first INT was a result of Jeffery falling down. Did you watch the game?

The pick-6 that decided the game was a direct result of Cutler throwing flat footed and overthrowing a receiver. His receivers sucked balls, but he deserves some blame as well.

It's really amazing how much better this offense looked under Mike Martz with less talent. And even more amazing how fervently most of the Bears fans wanted Martz gone and Tice to take over the reigns, me included.

Grass is greener syndrome.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Cutler's mechanics were really horrible yesterday. There were a couple of throws he made from his back foot even though he had a pocket and could've stepped into the throw. You can't blame him too much, he has a horrible O line and is probably shell shocked. He made some bad decisions, made some bad throws, had two TDs dropped and made a few nice passes.

My only hope vs Green Bay is that it's not a nationally televised night game...

I agree...he was throwing a terrible ball at the beginning of the game...then again at the end...a lot of underthrown balls he usually completes with ease.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
It's really amazing how much better this offense looked under Mike Martz with less talent. And even more amazing how fervently most of the Bears fans wanted Martz gone and Tice to take over the reigns, me included.

Grass is greener syndrome.

Yeah, I have missed Martz the last couple games. Problem is, we cannot protect well enough to run Martz's offense either. I love the deep in routes, but those require 4-5 seconds and we usually can only give Cutler 3-4.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
To be fair, Cutler made a couple of bad overthrows on a wide open Davis, Hester's TD drop was inexcuseable.

What the hell happened to Hester, he hasn't even been close to breaking a return the last bunch of games?

One sure first down was dropped which would have been a 20 yard gain, and then the play in the middle where he was supposed to post the LB, horrible positioning. Even the announcers mentioned that even though it was a bad/high throw, Davis did no favors to Cutler.

In the case of Hester, the toy needs to be removed from the toybox. Its over, the guy isnt what he was paid to be, and what he was paid to be ended up ruining what he really was.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
One sure first down was dropped which would have been a 20 yard gain, and then the play in the middle where he was supposed to post the LB, horrible positioning. Even the announcers mentioned that even though it was a bad/high throw, Davis did no favors to Cutler.

In the case of Hester, the toy needs to be removed from the toybox. Its over, the guy isnt what he was paid to be, and what he was paid to be ended up ruining what he really was.

There was another throw down the seem that was thrown over Davis' head, Kellen has this habit that once the ball is thrown he turns and squares up with the line of scrimmage, killing all of his momentum and forcing himself to leap for a ball that should be caught in stride further down the seem. He is truly one of the most worthless players I've ever seen a Bears uniform.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
There was another throw down the seem that was thrown over Davis' head, Kellen has this habit that once the ball is thrown he turns and squares up with the line of scrimmage, killing all of his momentum and forcing himself to leap for a ball that should be caught in stride further down the seem. He is truly one of the most worthless players I've ever seen a Bears uniform.

One or two balls looked too high for him would have actually been easy catches if he continued down the field. He is a horrible TE.

We all got deluded with visions of a modern West Coast offense lighting up the scoreboard. Our Oline didn't look much better last year so how did Martz get our offense to look so much better with Roy Williams and Johnny Knox as our main receivers? Maybe it was fools gold too.

I just have a severe lack of trust in our coaches. In all of the time Darryl Drake has been here, who has he coached up into a great receiver for us? Nobody really. In all of Tice's time here, who is the rock of our Oline? Nobody. There's plenty of blame to go around, at Angelo for not making the right picks and at our coaches for not coaching up anybody who we can call a piece we can build around for the future. Such a shame, feels like a decade wasted.

Jay Cutler played just fine yesterday and it was one of those days where he made his line look awesome. He plays tough and makes some just absolutely amazing throws. He threw a perfect strike to a receiver who fell down -- turns into a TD

On 3rd and 1, with our 3rd string running back in the game, we call a shotgun pass. Already a fail before the snap. He overthrows a slant, definitely his bad on that throw (though I think it may have been close enough for an excellent catch). Somehow that turns into a 60yd TD return. I know you can't really scheme these things, but it's crazy that the guy caught that ball with the entire offense in front of him and still got a TD.

Hester drops a TD a pass that probably broke his hands.

Jeffery drops a TD on what would have been a truly great play, but he dropped it AFTER doing the hard part of getting position. It should be mentioned that he did make some fine plays at other times. He still cost us 14 points by falling down and then dropping a TD pass, though. He did catch a touchdown, though.

I mentioned this about Davis during the game, one of the passes to him was clearly too high (another I think was a throwaway). He makes any high pass look impossible to catch, though, because he has no idea how to play a football. He doesn't know how to turn and ends up facing and backpedaling when any ball is thrown to him on the run. He then proceeds to mis-time his jumps.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Our offense looked "so much better?" I thought it was pretty awful under Martz.

You need a good O line to have a Martz offense and we haven't had a capable O line since the mid 2000s

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Packers are ONLY a 2.5 point favorite on Sunday.

I'm fully expecting us to lose, after two games where we should've won, I'm not very hopeful for Sunday. I do think it'll be a close game but Cutler has just been awful against the Pack's D.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)

You need a good O line to have a Martz offense and we haven't had a capable O line since the mid 2000s

You need a hall of fame left tackle like Orlando Pace to run a Martz offense. Not many teams run the seven step drop anymore because defenses are just too damn fast, it was a recipe for disaster and it cost Cutler a few concussions. It also helps to have 2 hall of fame WRs running routes(and actually know the routes, Hester cough cough).

I think our offense looked much crisper under Martz. Maybe someone could find the stats to prove my point, I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but at least Jays individual statistics bear this out.

And for all of Tice's talk of protecting the QB he has not been able to do it any better than Martz did. He's got 31 sacks now. Last year at 7-3 Jay was sacked 21 times.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
I think our offense looked much crisper under Martz. Maybe someone could find the stats to prove my point, I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but at least Jays individual statistics bear this out.

And for all of Tice's talk of protecting the QB he has not been able to do it any better than Martz did. He's got 31 sacks now. Last year at 7-3 Jay was sacked 21 times.

Again, its another huge turnover on the O-Line. There has been very little continuity on the O line since Jay became a Bear