2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

Great website for updated mock drafts. I love for them to draft ALBERT ALMORA high upside bat with huge potential. I just hope we are more open to selecting all players including high school with some of our top picks. This is one the weakest college years for producing some offense.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/mocks/MLBMocks.htm

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
The Sox don't really look at short pitchers. They have a basketball team for a staff.

Yeah, that would be against type for them. That said he has impressive strikeout numbers. He closed for Team USA though. Is that where he projects?

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Yeah, that would be against type for them. That said he has impressive strikeout numbers. He closed for Team USA though. Is that where he projects?

Stroman was projected as a dominant reliever until this year where he's made a stellar transition to a starter. Some don't like his height, but his stuff is electric. He has a good fastball, a wipeout slider, and a decent changeup. Also throws a cutter every now and then. He's pitched himself into the top 10 to 15 of this draft class. I'm a fan and think he can remain a starter. If not, you have a high leverage reliever on your hands who won't need much of any time in the minors.

Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke

Stroman is a short, stocky righty who is very muscular and athletic. He is listed as 5'9",190 LBS. A shortstop in high school, Stroman has a ton of potential on the mound. He can run his fastball up to 98 and can sit from 94-98 MPH. He is very athletic and repeats his delivery well. He has a nasty hard slider that is an out pitch and a plus changeup that he throws from a low 3/4 delivery.

He has 3 MLB ready pitches. That is what it typically takes to be a MLB starter. Even with this, many see Stroman as a reliever. I don't. I think he can be a dominant starter, while maybe not an ace, a very solid #2 starter with potential to be lights out any day he takes the mound. As a reliever, he could get out MLB hitters right now. Considering he just started focusing on pitching recently, he has a fresh arm and polish greater than his experience.

While it is possible he ends up in the pen, he has a ton of potential as a starter and proved he has the stamina to do it this season at Duke. I would expect him to go off the board in the top 10 this June.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/13/2...-marcus-stroman

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 14, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Stroman was projected as a dominant reliever until this year where he's made a stellar transition to a starter. Some don't like his height, but his stuff is electric. He has a good fastball, a wipeout slider, and a decent changeup. Also throws a cutter every now and then. He's pitched himself into the top 10 to 15 of this draft class. I'm a fan and think he can remain a starter. If not, you have a high leverage reliever on your hands who won't need much of any time in the minors.

I hear what you're saying, but Stroman's height would be an issue for me. I don't think he sticks as a SP.

Something I always worry about guys like Stroman is that he gets hyped up more than usual cause he played for Team USA. Also, I get so concerned about college guys with nasty sliders. With the difference in stitching on the ball, you run the risk of that pitch going from a plus pitch to an average one.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
Something I always worry about guys like Stroman is that he gets hyped up more than usual cause he played for Team USA. Also, I get so concerned about college guys with nasty sliders. With the difference in stitching on the ball, you run the risk of that pitch going from a plus pitch to an average one.

I don't think there is much of any hype from playing on any of the USA teams for baseball. Especially considering the amount of prospects that end up participating in some capacity over their amateur careers. Stroman was actually relatively unhyped until just this season where he's joined the rotation and thrived.

I can see reason not to draft Stroman though. There is certainly some risk associated with the upside. At this juncture the White Sox can't really afford to miss on a 1st round draft pick. They desperately need legitimate starting pitchers and position players of all kinds. It might behoove the organization to make a "safer" pick this year. IE a Heaney, Wacha, or Stratton.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)

And in that case you will also hear the screaming and moaning about the pick then

I'll preface this by saying that I don't follow the draft as closely as many, but I don't understand Deven Marrero as the 14th best prospect available. I get that he's a very good defensive SS by all accounts, but I don't see him being able to hit. Is him being the 14th best prospect in the draft reflective of this being a bad draft? As an aside I hope Max Fried falls to the Sox.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
I'll preface this by saying that I don't follow the draft as closely as many, but I don't understand Deven Marrero as the 14th best prospect available. I get that he's a very good defensive SS by all accounts, but I don't see him being able to hit. Is him being the 14th best prospect in the draft reflective of this being a bad draft? As an aside I hope Max Fried falls to the Sox.

I'm not a big Marrero fan either, but he has hit in years past and he is considered a lock to stick at SS. Supposedly the Pirates have been and still are very high on him. I also really like Fried, and would love to get him at 13. Likely the best LHP in this draft class.

Edited by DirtySox

It will be really interesting to see what happens with Giolito. Potentially the best prospect in the draft class, even with the elbow injury. He supposedly will release his medicals right around draft day. Many think he's UCLA bound.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
It will be really interesting to see what happens with Giolito. Potentially the best prospect in the draft class, even with the elbow injury. He supposedly will release his medicals right around draft day. Many think he's UCLA bound.

Based on KW's reaction to drafting Loux (or should I say passing on him), I can't see him taking Giolito.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
Based on KW's reaction to drafting Loux (or should I say passing on him), I can't see him taking Giolito.

Nor can I. He will be seeking big money, and the risk of not signing him sucks as the slot amount is deducted from the total allocation if he walks.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
Nor can I. He will be seeking big money, and the risk of not signing him sucks as the slot amount is deducted from the total allocation if he walks.

I think we say this every year after the draft, but with the way Stoney and Hawk talk about the draft, it's hard to fathom a situation where KW drafts a high school pitcher. I'm fine with this philosophy.

Looking at that group of prospects bunched from 12 down, looks like a minefield. Not sure you wouldn't get just as good of a prospect picking 30th as you would 13th. Maybe it wouldn't be so crazy to go off the board and take take someone like Trehan at 13.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
I think we say this every year after the draft, but with the way Stoney and Hawk talk about the draft, it's hard to fathom a situation where KW drafts a high school pitcher. I'm fine with this philosophy.

I very much dislike the aversion to prep players. It very much limits the White Sox potential talent pool. Especially in a year like this one where the college crop is rather weak for position players. I'm encouraged by reports that Kenny is interested in Courtney Hawkins. With the CBA changes the premier high school players need to be drafted early or not all.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
I doubt it will happen, but I'd be excited if Sox draft Victor Roache. He put up Nintendo numbers last year when everyone else struggled with the new bats. If he stayed healthy this year, I doubt he could possibly fall to the Sox.

If the Sox do their homework and are okay with his medicals I'd be fine with it.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
I very much dislike the aversion to prep players. It very much limits the White Sox potential talent pool. Especially in a year like this one where the college crop is rather weak for position players. I'm encouraged by reports that Kenny is interested in Courtney Hawkins. With the CBA changes the premier high school players need to be drafted early or not all.

I don't really like taking high schoolers in the first round so I don't mind the philosophy. 'Limiting the talent pool' in the draft is misleading because the draft isn't cut and dry enough for things like that to be that clear and obvious.