Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
ESPN reporting SIU will interview Weber

Moccia: Hey coach, thanks for coming in.

Weber: Not a problem. Feels good to be back in Carbondale.

Moccia: Please come back....

Weber: ......

I think Weber would be smart to go back to SIU for a while. Hes got Illinois connections, hell get players who will buy into his system and then a few years from now he can get another shot at a high major if he wants it.

Unless another big program has a job opening, he could do a lot worse.

SHAKA WATCH: DAY 2.

Who the hell knows. So much stuff out there it's impossible to keep up with all of it.

I'm guessing we know something within a few days, or it's on to the next plan.

At this point, anyone but Shaka will be a letdown in the eyes of both the fans and the media. Thing is, if he says no to a s***load of $$$$ and anything else he needs, not much more we could have done. It's all his call, I don't think we'll come up short on the offer side of things.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:46 AM)
WGM said that Northwestern will talk to Shaka as well and would be willing to replace Carmody with him. Drama in IL.

What drama? I have a hard time believing NW wold offer more money than Illinois would, or that there is any reason he would chose NW over Illinois.

What drama? I have a hard time believing NW wold offer more money than Illinois would, or that there is any reason he would chose NW over Illinois.

Hmmm.. within spitting distance of Chicago or mired in Champaign. Tough career choice.

SIU is broke as a goddamn joke, if they manage to get Weber I'll be shocked.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Hmmm.. within spitting distance of Chicago or mired in Champaign. Tough career choice.

Look at where many of the top college basketball/football programs are located. Lawrence, Durham, Norman. Not exactly big glamorous cities. Switch to the pros if that's what matters.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Not sure why Weber would want to come back to SIU. He'll get other offers from bigger schools and with him getting almost 4 million to go away, he doesn't have to coach next year.

After his experience at IL, going back to a small school might sound pretty good, at least for a while.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
After his experience at IL, going back to a small school might sound pretty good, at least for a while.

It's too bad the administration coddled him and/or he didn't decide to leave for Oklahoma or Oregon the last few seasons. I think a west coast team would be great for him. He can still make splash nationally but without the constant 24/7 pressure of a program in a big conference.

As for Shaka, I heard the rumors too that they met. Herb Gould of the Sun-Times had a report that Illinois is going "all-in" on him, offering 2.5/year. His buyout is only 800k and that's not a big deal at all apparently.

Also, while I like NW, I don't see how he could possibly decide to go there over Illinois. NW's facilities blow. They can't attract talent. Carmody is a good coach and gets the team a few big wins every year, but at the end of the day they just can't compete with other Big Ten programs.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)

Yes, the only thing you look at when considering a job is location. Good call.

If that were the case, NW would have had legendary coaches by now and not made the tournament 0 times.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Not sure why Weber would want to come back to SIU. He'll get other offers from bigger schools and with him getting almost 4 million to go away, he doesn't have to coach next year.

Bruce never really left. Pretty sure he didnt sell his house there, he always came down for charity events. The SIU administration loves him, if he wants the job it is his

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Bruce never really left. Pretty sure he didnt sell his house there, he always came down for charity events. The SIU administration loves him, if he wants the job it is his

We all know that if he wants the job then it's his, most of us are assuming he doesn't want it. Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
We all know that if he wants the job then it's his, most of us are assuming he doesn't want it. Hope I'm wrong.

Mostly what I mean, if Bruce Weber wants the job, money will not be an issue. They dont have super high roller donors, but they can scrape together the funds if it is reasonable. BW wont be making what he made the last 9 years, but he wont be holding his hat out

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Mostly what I mean, if Bruce Weber wants the job, money will not be an issue. They dont have super high roller donors, but they can scrape together the funds if it is reasonable. BW wont be making what he made the last 9 years, but he wont be holding his hat out

I'm sure they can put like a million a year together. Nothing wrong with that in Carbondale.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Yes, the only thing you look at when considering a job is location. Good call.

If that were the case, NW would have had legendary coaches by now and not made the tournament 0 times.

That seems like an oversimplification. Location should be somewhere on the list and it will probably be different for different people.