East Region

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Halftime: UNC-Asheville 34, Syracuse 30

Syracuse 1-for-13 from 3-point land, shooting about 38% from the floor total.

That's not going to last, but Asheville's best player had a quiet first half too. I suspect Cuse pulls ahead after another 5-10 minutes of close basketball.

Rex,

Did you watch the game? During the 2nd half, the refs started calling a ton of fouls when Wisconsin got up 15+ (and stopped calling anything against Montana) to try and keep it interesting. Then when the refs knew the game was over, they called a bunch of touch fouls on Montana to even up the boxscore.

Its pretty much par for the course in any basketball game. Refs dont want a blow out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Rex,

Did you watch the game? During the 2nd half, the refs started calling a ton of fouls when Wisconsin got up 15+ (and stopped calling anything against Montana) to try and keep it interesting. Then when the refs knew the game was over, they called a bunch of touch fouls on Montana to even up the boxscore.

Its pretty much par for the course in any basketball game. Refs dont want a blow out.

I think you're full of crap. The referees don't care what the score is. Hell, if Wisky was up 20 pts I'd swallow my whistle just to get the damned game over with. But you'll never convince me that referees change the way they call fouls just to keep games interesting.

And to answer your question, I wasn't paying that close of attention. I was just busting your chops while taking a not so sublte shot at all the Illinois fans who constantly whine about officiating.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Hell, if Wisky was up 20 pts I'd swallow my whistle just to get the damned game over with.

So in the same post you say that refs dont care about the score, you say that youd swallow the whistle in a blow out, which is exactly what I accused the refs of doing.

Do you see the irony in that?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
So in the same post you say that refs dont care about the score, you say that youd swallow the whistle in a blow out, which is exactly what I accused the refs of doing.

Do you see the irony in that?

No. You said they swallowed the whistle so the game would be close. I'm saying swallow the whistle in a decided game so the clock will continue to run. You don't ignore everything, that's not what I am saying, but you let them play. It would have no effect on the outcome of the game. I'm not sure why they started calling more fouls at the end of the game as you say unless it was because the benches empited with subs and the game got sloppy to the point they had to call something.

The difference between what I said and you said is integrity. Go officiate any sport, Work at your craft and take it seriously. Work at a competitive level. Then come back and tell me your earlier post makes any sense. You won't because it doesn't. Officials work too hard at what they do to dictate a game in that way. It's not as easy as people make it out to be to change the way you call a game in midstream. When there appear to be changes, its because they are adapting to that particular game. In basketball that could mean a team behind starts to drive more aggressively or the team ahead plays defense with less intensity. Subs come in and don't play the same way. In baseball it could be as simple as a pitching change that causes a strike zone to change. But all of those "changes" are made naturally based on what you have learned working on your craft and the changing tempo of the game. There are subconsious things that can affect officiating such as crowd noise, coached screaming etc. Basketball is by far the hardest sport to officiate. Officials make mistakes, they're human. But changing what they are doing to keep a game close... not happening, sorry.

Rex,

Thats fine, obviously Im someone who is a conspiracy theorist.

It could be subconscious and they dont even recognize it, but as the viewer it was hard to ignore. For a good amount of time, the refs called nothing on Montana. Then when the game was really out of reach, they started to call nit pick fouls. The only explanation I have is that they wanted to even up the box score (ultimately it ended 16-15 in fouls). Now maybe the explanation is that after 36 minutes they decided they wanted to change how they were calling it.

And its not just this game, I feel this about many basketball games, and not ones where I have any attachment too.

If you don't think refs alter their call of games to make the games more interesting you're crazy. There is absolutely a play style and groove that teams get into that officials will adjust for. Go read any book or interview by any official in just about any sport and they admit it.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
In the dumbest comment by a CBS commentator category I nominate Charles Barkley. I don't have the exact quote but he stated he was disappointed Syracuse stuck with the zone and thought they would be better served by going man to man.

Barkley doesn't do any research whatsover for when they throw him on these NCAA broadcasts. He just uses his general basketball knowledge and wings it for everything else.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Rex,

Thats fine, obviously Im someone who is a conspiracy theorist.

It could be subconscious and they dont even recognize it, but as the viewer it was hard to ignore. For a good amount of time, the refs called nothing on Montana. Then when the game was really out of reach, they started to call nit pick fouls. The only explanation I have is that they wanted to even up the box score (ultimately it ended 16-15 in fouls). Now maybe the explanation is that after 36 minutes they decided they wanted to change how they were calling it.

And its not just this game, I feel this about many basketball games, and not ones where I have any attachment too.

I can assure you referees don't have a stat sheet and other than feel, they have no idea how many fouls each team has had. And they could care less what the stat sheet looks like after the game.

I can't speak to your specific game, but I can only suggest there was a reason. Something changed if they truly called the game differently. I can't speak for them. I can however say that many times things fans suggest they see simply aren't correct. Or perhaps after replays from three angles they see things the referees couldn't. One simple example I can give (understand most of my experience is from baseball) is I don't know how many times I've heard fans complain about "that pitch was in the same place as the last one". That's ridiculous. It may look like it on TV or maybe from 50 yards away in the stands, but as many times as I heard that when I was behind the plate, every time it was BS. Maybe it was only an inch difference, but that can be the difference between a ball and a strike.

I just know from being an official at a reasonable level and knowing many, that officials take their craft seriously. Some are better than others. Some days are better than others. As I said, basketball is by far the toughest. There is emotion and a flow to games. Sometimes when players are subbed in and out the flow changes, which could change their rhythm. They make mistakes. But they don't go into games wanting one team to win at least to the point of it changing how they do their job. Officials will do anything they can not to affect the outcome of the game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
If you don't think refs alter their call of games to make the games more interesting you're crazy. There is absolutely a play style and groove that teams get into that officials will adjust for. Go read any book or interview by any official in just about any sport and they admit it.

We're either talking about two entirely different things or you are smoking a good batch today. Either way, without seeing your reading list, I'll choose not to engage further because that made zero sense to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
The refs in this Syracuse game have been absolutely pathetic. Cost UNCA 3 points. I guess they're smoking the same stuff everyone else at Syracuse has.

The non-goal tending call was certainly missed. Not sure about the lane violation that was just called.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
The non-goal tending call was certainly missed. Not sure about the lane violation that was just called.

The lane violation was a good call. When you are behind the shooter, you can't cross the foul line until the ball hits the rim.