2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
Yes, but keep in mind Butler played Illinois on the 3rd day in a row after two tough games against Marquette and UNC, while Illinois had easy games against USC and Chaminade. Not saying Illinois wouldn't win under different circumstances but its not tough to figure it affected how Butler played. Give the Illini all the credit for winning fairly easily and for going on the road to Gonzaga.

Hey now, don't hate on Chaminade, they beat Texas!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Just blows my mind how good Brad Stevens is. Obviously it's not going to happen with Crean turning IU around, but dear lord Indiana could be a dynasty with Stevens at the helm.

It's crazy how the dude shows zero emotion, he's always the same guy. When that shot hit last night, he didn't react excitedly at all, he just started walking towards Mark Few to shake his hand. Guys like Crean or Groce would have jumped up and screamed first.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Northwestern has to be the lowest scoring 1st half team in the history of life.

I don't have the splits, but I have to imagine that horrendous 1999-2000 team was significantly worse. They were held to 30 or fewer three times (including 26 against Evansville for christ's sake) and had 12 more games where they scored under 50. This current team isn't any good, but it's depressing how bad they've been in the past .

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
I don't have the splits, but I have to imagine that horrendous 1999-2000 team was significantly worse. They were held under 40 three times (including 26 against Evansville for christ's sake) and had 12 more games where they scored under 50. This current team isn't any good, but it's depressing how bad they've been in the past .

Haha ya I hear ya. Minus the Illinois game it just feels like every game they're under 20 after the 1st half.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
It's crazy how the dude shows zero emotion, he's always the same guy. When that shot hit last night, he didn't react excitedly at all, he just started walking towards Mark Few to shake his hand. Guys like Crean or Groce would have jumped up and screamed first.

While I agree Crean is animated, his reaction after the Kentucky win was hilarious. Not stoic, not excited, just a "What the hell just happened?" kind of look.

Haith regarding the Miami situation.

The NCAA is expected to release a notice of allegations as early as this week regarding the Miami investigation. A source close to the situation told CBSSports.com that former Hurricanes and current Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith is expected to be charged with unethical conduct and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.

Haith's unethical conduct could result in a multiple-year show-cause penalty. Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl received a three-year show-cause penalty after being charged with unethical conduct back in 2011 when he initially wasn't forthcoming about hosting recruits at his home on unofficial visits -- which is against NCAA rules.

The source told CBSSports.com that the NCAA was unable to prove the allegation from Miami booster Nevin Shapiro that Haith or anyone on his staff paid $10,000 to a family member of former player DeQuan Jones. However, Haith will be charged with unethical conduct because the NCAA did not believe his story that payments to his assistants intended for camp money did not wind up going to repay Shapiro, who made the allegations to Yahoo Sports back in August of 2011. A source said that the money was delivered to Shapiro's mother -- who verified the payment to the NCAA.

Haith will also be charged with a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance due to impermissible airline travel that was given to the family of two players from a member of his staff and also the interaction between Shapiro and players while on visits.

The source also said the three assistants previously on Haith's staff -- Jake Morton, Jorge Fernandez and Michael Schwartz -- each will receive unethical conduct charges. Morton is currently at Western Kentucky, Fernandez left Marshall after last season and Schwartz is on the Fresno State staff.

Those involved in the case will have up to 90 days to respond in writing before a hearing in front of the Committee on Infractions, which likely will be held in mid-June. A decision on the penalties will be handed down to Haith, his staff and those involved in the football aspect of the investigation anywhere from 4-6 months after the hearing. The notice of allegations was expected to be released as early as Tuesday, but a source told CBSSports.com that it could be withheld for another week or two possibly because of procedural questions.

"With everything that's happened recently with the Shabazz Muhammad case, the Todd McNair case in football, the governor of Pennsylvania suing the NCAA and the NCAA firing a lead investigator in this case, they want to make sure on this one," the source said.

The investigation began nearly two years ago after Shapiro, who is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence for a $930 million Ponzi scheme, told Yahoo Sports that he gave thousands of impermissible benefits, primarily to football players, from 2002 to 2010.

I guess his former assistants, the ones who he didnt tell he was leaving Miami for Missouri, are rating him out.

Should be interesting...

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Haith regarding the Miami situation.

I guess his former assistants, the ones who he didnt tell he was leaving Miami for Missouri, are rating him out.

Should be interesting...

This is potentially glorious news. It would be fantastic if Missouri would be forced to get rid of Haith. Last year was an aberration and a perfect storm that had more to do with a special group of players than it did the coach.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 01:02 AM)
This is potentially glorious news. It would be fantastic if Missouri would be forced to get rid of Haith. Last year was an aberration and a perfect storm that had more to do with a special group of players than it did the coach.

Who replaces him?

He's been really popular around campus also. Does the standard Buffalo Wild Wings weekly interview, always comes and talks with students during ticket lines, emails students frequently. I hear he's a really nice interview.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Iowa State's starting to make me believe. I'm not convinced that they aren't the second best team in the Big 12 right now, and I suppose I'll find out a lot more against Kansas State next Saturday.

I believe they are pretty good, but I wouldn't put them ahead of KSU yet. Saturday will definitely be fun. IState's B12 schedule so far doesn't really reflect a lot yet - they've played the hardest game on the slate (@ KU, lost in OT), and three should-win games against bottom feeders (admittedly some on the road, which is good). They need to play teams like KSU, OSU and OU to really get an idea where they stand.

Hoiberg deserves a ton of credit.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Who replaces him?

He's been really popular around campus also. Does the standard Buffalo Wild Wings weekly interview, always comes and talks with students during ticket lines, emails students frequently. I hear he's a really nice interview.

I think Haith's done a great job. This group hasn't played together until this year and while not a top tier team they will definitely be a tourney team. He found great transfers to put the team in good shape after a huge senior class left the program vulnerable to rebulding, and has nice classes coming in after.

Whatever happens, I hope the NCAA acts quickly. This s*** ruined our program in the early 00s (which ended up not charging anything iirc), and could do the same again. This has been a horrid past 12 months as a mizzou fan.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
And why doesnt btn use the 15 alternate channels when these games go long?

No idea, but it's maddening. They only use it when it's set up in advance for football or whatever. There has to be a better reason than "BTN is stupid" but I don't know what that is.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
No idea, but it's maddening. They only use it when it's set up in advance for football or whatever. There has to be a better reason than "BTN is stupid" but I don't know what that is.

Sadly I think that might be the reason. I've never exactly been impressed with BTN's production quality.