2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
We aren't going to be able to look for players if we can't pay them.

The problem is that we'll NEVER see the benefits of higher attendance until we're in the playoffs or the following season.

So, by definition, adding any player will never pay for itself in the shorter term.

However, they can go through this cycle every season (adding Peavy/Rios in 2009, Ramirez/Jackson in 2010, Dunn in 2011) and wait for a competitive team to bring about increased attendance...or make a concerted effort to build a great team that they can keep together for at least 3 and possibly 4 years.

They're still stuck "in between" again just like every season from 2006 through 2012, with the exception of one year, 2007.

It's always going to leave them as a 75-85 win team. Every time there's moment, like 2006, 2009 and going into 2011, they kill it and it takes another couple of seasons to build the interest back up....the problem is they keep losing 10-15% of where they started in 2006 every time they go through that cycle.

Doyle was 26 years old 6'4" 260 pounds.....6-3 this year with a 2.83 era in 76 innings pitched he only allowed 53 hits 25 runs while walking 18 & striking out 71 & opponents batting. 199 against him.

Why would we cut him so he could go to Japan????

We could have used him down the stretch & long man in the pen.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
True, but ain't the Tribe worse than us?

I don't expect a big name acquisition, but if the rotation outside of Sale Q & Peavy continue to struggle we are in big trouble.

If Danks & Floyd can turn it around before the all star break we will be in good shape, but I have my doubts.

Although Floyd did seem to have a little better stuff last night, but he seems to be in love with that cutter & everytime he throws it it gets murdered.

Soriano isn't going to cost them anything. They also have a much lower payroll than we do.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Doyle was 26 years old 6'4" 260 pounds.....6-3 this year with a 2.83 era in 76 innings pitched he only allowed 53 hits 25 runs while walking 18 & striking out 71 & opponents batting. 199 against him.

Why would we cut him so he could go to Japan????

We could have used him down the stretch & long man in the pen.

Because he asked us to and he really had no future with this club

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
We aren't going to be able to look for players if we can't pay them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Soriano isn't going to cost them anything. They also have a much lower payroll than we do.

No, I agree that the Sox can't go out and make a big name acquisition right now (although I'm not sold on attendance being the main factor there). But the original post didn't state that the Sox needed to go out and grab that big money guy. It just stated that the Sox need to start thinking about getting some help...and that's the truth.

Soriano won't cost them anything, and he would be help for them. This is a perfect example of not having to worry about money (or attendance for that matter) when it comes to getting some help.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
No, I agree that the Sox can't go out and make a big name acquisition right now (although I'm not sold on attendance being the main factor there). But the original post didn't state that the Sox needed to go out and grab that big money guy. It just stated that the Sox need to start thinking about getting some help...and that's the truth.

Soriano won't cost them anything, and he would be help for them. This is a perfect example of not having to worry about money (or attendance for that matter) when it comes to getting some help.

Except the Indians can't afford to pay for the entire remainder of his deal.

The Cubs aren't going to eat as much of his salary as they did with Zambrano, or they're going to ask for some decent prospects back.

Soriano's deal goes through 2014, right?

So that trade will be entirely about economics. Ricketts isn't going to just eat $30-40 million, just like JR wouldn't do it with Rios.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Except the Indians can't afford to pay for the entire remainder of his deal.

The Cubs aren't going to eat as much of his salary as they did with Zambrano, or they're going to ask for some decent prospects back.

Soriano's deal goes through 2014, right?

So that trade will be entirely about economics. Ricketts isn't going to just eat $30-40 million, just like JR wouldn't do it with Rios.

They won't. The last rumor was the Cubs were willing to send all but a million dollars a year of his salary in order to get some real players back in return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
They won't. The last rumor was the Cubs were willing to send all but a million dollars a year of his salary in order to get some real players back in return.

Ricketts really can throw all that money around, at Zambrano, Soler and Soriano in the span of less than 6 months?

If the Indians have $3+ million to spend, wouldn't they prefer other alternatives, like Quentin?

They already have Brantley and Choo, if Sizemore can come back in the 2nd half, they don't absolutely have to acquire another outfielder.

But it has hurt them that LaPorta and Damon have been so bad, along with Chisenhall.

The biggest concern of all has to be their starting pitching holding up and Santana turning his season around offensively. He's absolutely lost right now, and has been in a fog for most of the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Ricketts really can throw all that money around, at Zambrano, Soler and Soriano in the span of less than 6 months?

If the Indians have $3+ million to spend, wouldn't they prefer other alternatives, like Quentin?

They already have Brantley and Choo, if Sizemore can come back in the 2nd half, they don't absolutely have to acquire another outfielder.

But it has hurt them that LaPorta and Damon have been so bad, along with Chisenhall.

The biggest concern of all has to be their starting pitching holding up and Santana turning his season around offensively. He's absolutely lost right now, and has been in a fog for most of the season.

I don't know their situation, but that was the report.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
I don't see Soler being any better than Viciedo.

Assuming you've got the kid for the full arb cycle, $25 million on a Viciedo level player seems reasonable to me. Not sure that I'd push farther than that though, given how many talents wind up having an issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Assuming you've got the kid for the full arb cycle, $25 million on a Viciedo level player seems reasonable to me. Not sure that I'd push farther than that though, given how many talents wind up having an issue.

The contract he signed said he can opt out once arbitration hits.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
The contract he signed said he can opt out once arbitration hits.

If I understand it though, he can opt out of the contract, but he's still under team control. I could have probably lived with that, it would only have wound up creating a few million more for the guy unless he's playing like Josh Hamilton. And if he is, who cares about the extra couple million in arbitration.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)

I hope that's legit and not just a rumor, like the Blue Jays being in on Darvish but not really, only to appease the fanbase and create the perception they "could have been in" on him when it wasn't actually a reality.

If we legitimately have that much money to invest in Soler, we just picked up a similar player in Hawkins...then there's leeway to improve this current 2012 team somehow by taking on salary and not being forced to give up a Nathan Jones or Mitchell.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)

Like Doyle?

And speaking of Doyle, the Rockies could have used him.