4/19/12 Game Thread - O's @ White Sox

hogan873

In this day and age of sabermetrics walks are really emphasized. He is probably trying to walk more and I think it takes away from his game.

To me, that's a misapplication of sabremetrics. If you want to emphasize walking more, then scout, draft, and sign guys who walk more. Don't try to force guys that don't walk a lot to walk more.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Sorry, but that's off the corner.

Some of our guys have to learn to protect the zone with two strikes. I'm sorry...that pitch was a couple of inches off the corner. Can't let it go by with two strikes. That pitch is called a strike 75% of the time. We would b**** if Gavin didn't get the same pitch.

Oh, great, another Ted Williams story.

Thankfully the Eddie Brinkman one got cut off.

I think we are probably leading the AL in K's if you factor in games played/per game average.

Will check.

Yep, BALT, Oak, and TB are ahead of us (4 or less coming into the game) but they've all played 12-13 games already.

So per game, we still lead the AL and will continue to after today sure with 7 already.

Last year, as Stone said, we were among the hardest teams in the AL to strike out, and that was with Dunn on the team.

This year, the easiest.

Greg Walker supporters must love that stat.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Some of our guys have to learn to protect the zone with two strikes. I'm sorry...that pitch was a couple of inches off the corner. Can't let it go by with two strikes. That pitch is called a strike 75% of the time. We would b**** if Gavin didn't get the same pitch.

This is the second time I've seen you take issue with our hitters for not swinging at pitches off the plate...and while I've understand your idea, these are young hitters that we are trying to help learn the zone. Teaching them to swing at pitches that are off the plate with two strikes isn't particularly conducive to doing this. I'd rather live with the k's and have them hopefully learn the zone than have them never really learn it at all because now they have to learn a different zone with two strikes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Anyone notice how terrible our bench players have been this year?

We knew Escobar had no bat.

Flowers at least hit a homer, but that bases loaded situation sucked.

Fukudome sneaks that liner through the left side two nights ago and we're probably feeling better about the bench.

Lillibridge, in all fairness, it's hard to get any kind of offensive rhythm when you only bat once over 5 games, basically. With his type of swing, he has to play a bit more regularly to get dialed in.

DeAza with more defensive problems.

Really should have been a double.

Always happens when you have a chance to blow the game open...the other team has life breathed right back into them.

Floyd falling apart.

Let's try to limit the damage to 1 instead of 3 this inning, Gavin.

Edited by caulfield12

Anyone notice how terrible our bench players have been this year?

Bench players for any team, especially an AL team, are typically pretty poor hitters. You have four guys to back up 8 positions, so for at least a couple of them the ability to play multiple positions outweighs offensive ability.

Then you have a backup catcher, when the average starting catcher is already a pretty poor hitter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
This is the second time I've seen you take issue with our hitters for not swinging at pitches off the plate...and while I've understand your idea, these are young hitters that we are trying to help learn the zone. Teaching them to swing at pitches that are off the plate with two strikes isn't particularly conducive to doing this. I'd rather live with the k's and have them hopefully learn the zone than have them never really learn it at all because now they have to learn a different zone with two strikes.

There is a HUGE difference between swinging at those pitches with a 2-0 or 2-1 count, and keeping yourself alive when you are behind in the count. I'm not suggesting that they swing at an obvious pitchers pitch on strike one or strike two...but to not protect yourself with 2 strikes to keep your AB alive is not teaching them anything. It teaches young guys to blame the umpire for a strike out and not hold themselves accountable. There is a lot to be said for keeping an AB alive to see another pitch. To teach young hitters not to swing at pitchers pitch that is just off the corner(that is rarely NOT called a strike on 2 a strike count) is not is not helping anyone.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Bench players for any team, especially an AL team, are typically pretty poor hitters. You have four guys to back up 8 positions, so for at least a couple of them the ability to play multiple positions outweighs offensive ability.

Then you probably don't want to play 3 in the same game :)

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
There is a HUGE difference between swinging at those pitches with a 2-0 or 2-1 count, and keeping yourself alive when you are behind in the count. I'm not suggesting that they swing at an obvious pitchers pitch on strike one or strike two...but to not protect yourself with 2 strikes to keep your AB alive is not teaching them anything. It teaches young guys to blame the umpire for a strike out and not hold themselves accountable. There is a lot to be said for keeping an AB alive to see another pitch. To teach young hitters not to swing at pitchers pitch that is just off the corner(that is rarely NOT called a strike on 2 a strike count) is not is not helping anyone.

I guess what I am trying to say is baby steps...let them learn to walk before we ask them to run...