Gameday Thread-Doubleheader Special: White Sox vs Indians

Kyyle23

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From all accounts, Molina doesn't have the dominant out pitch to be anything close to a top of the rotation starter yet.

Peavy's able to be successful at 91-92 because he knows how to pitch, but for an Axelrod or Molina to get to that point will take years and years of losing to gain that experience.

Stewart and Molina, from everything we're seeing and reading, just don't have the arsenal of pitches to be successful unless they're perfect with their location, and that kind of control is beyond rare. It's one thing not to walk hitters, it's quite another thing to miss in the strike zone and hit bats.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Stewart and Molina, from everything we're seeing and reading, just don't have the arsenal of pitches to be successful unless they're perfect with their location, and that kind of control is beyond rare. It's one thing not to walk hitters, it's quite another thing to miss in the strike zone and hit bats.

What's confusing to me is that Molina, Stewart and Axelrod seem to contradict the type of pitchers that KW has gone after in the draft of late. Those three guys are much more "Lance Broadway" than Chris Sale. Sox need Molina or Axelrod to be no worse than a #5 starter though for 2013.

Edited by fathom

The Las Vegas odds for a Indians sweep were 100X higher than both Quintana and Stults pitching so well.

The problem is that neither of them really profile as long-term solutions in the starting rotation, although we'll have to cross our fingers Sox scouts got one right with Quintana.

It's very different when you start a game versus coming in down 7-2 and the other team's already subconsciously letting up on the gas.

Perhaps a couple of Santiago MLB appearances against the Twins last year caused the same misperception...that Santiago was close to ready. But the back end of the rotation will have plenty of opportunities to gain experience and quite a few losses the next 2-3 seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 7, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
OK so we're writing off Molina completely already. Got it.

Recently turned 23.

Underpromise, overdeliver.

KW always does the opposite. Should I bring back all the glowing reports on Zach Stewart when we acquired him? At one point last year, he was a "sure thing" to be in the 2012 rotation.

Sure, he can probably start out as a 5th starter...the point is that he was billed (along with Sale) as a future ace and rotation anchor for the future.

There's just been ZERO evidence of that happening so far, other than his BB/IP ratio.

I would be shocked if we see him anytime soon in the big leagues because the predictable failure will result in even more heat on KW.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Underpromise, overdeliver.

KW always does the opposite. Should I bring back all the glowing reports on Zach Stewart when we acquired him? At one point last year, he was a "sure thing" to be in the 2012 rotation.

Sure, he can probably start out as a 5th starter...the point is that he was billed (along with Sale) as a future ace and rotation anchor for the future.

There's just been ZERO evidence of that happening so far, other than his BB/IP ratio.

I would be shocked if we see him anytime soon in the big leagues because the predictable failure will result in even more heat on KW.

I like your assessment on his pitches though. I thought he would get by with average all around pitches. Clearly he cant do that. He doesnt have that one reliable pitch he can always trust. Today none of his stuff was working and look what happened.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
Thats awful man, where at?

20 Miles NW of Austin TX. When I mean half their roof is off I mean half of it is lying on the ground. Its leaking in the house apparently.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
20 Miles NW of Austin TX. When I mean half their roof is off I mean half of it is lying on the ground. Its leaking in the house apparently.

It hasn't been a good few months for Texas in that aspect, best of luck I hope they're ok.

And tarp on the field. We're in rain dealy?

Wasn't there a game vs Minny couple years ago when they suspeded it and we had to play it at the Cell with Twins being the home team ?