White Sox moves from 5/7

justBLAZE

Q back to AA, Stults stays for now. I am guessing that means Stults gets the next start, and then the Sox have to decide between Axel and Stults.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...rce=twitterfeed

White Sox send Quintana back to Double-A

May 7, 2012, 10:44 pm

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

Jose Quintana threw 5 2/3 fantastic innings Monday afternoon in Cleveland, cleaning up for the struggling Philip Humber. After Humber allowed eight runs on nine hits in 2 1/3 innings, Quintana allowed no runs and one hit in his relief appearance, keeping the White Sox bullpen fresh for Game 2 and the rest of the series against the Indians. The 5 2/3 scoreless innings were the most by a White Sox pitcher making his MLB debut since Jack McDowell threw seven shutout frames in 1987.

But Quintana was added to the White Sox roster as the 26th man for a doubleheader, a provision allowed under MLB's new CBA. After Monday's double-dip finale, Quintana was returned to Birmingham, meaning Eric Stults will stay with the White Sox for the time being.

Stults was shaky in six innings of work, issuing four walks with four hits. But he allowed only two runs with four strikeouts while doing a great job keeping the ball on the ground (seven groundouts, one flyout). So, for the time being, he appears to have a chance to win the fifth starter role with the White Sox.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 7, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
27 picks after the Tigers pick White Sox took Addison Reed

Cue the "Well one is a starter" noise.

I like all the left-handed mystery pitchers we have. They are all gonna be nice filler for that trade that lands us a young bat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
They apparently selected properly yesterday yet some still complain. Stults and Quintana were both good. It really doesn't matter what choice the White Sox make, there are a few people that wait for that choice before deciding the other choice was the proper way to go and no result can show them to be wrong.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/5/6/30035...n-jose-quintana

Now I'll make the same argument, overreact much? You're seriously going to tell me our pitching coach or our scouts are SO GOOD that they can identify a pitcher who's barely on ANY radar screens, who doesn't throw harder than 90-91, who didn't even make it beyond the Yankees' FSL team in four seasons of pitching, who weathered a PED's suspension, who wasn't protected by that same team which is in pretty dire need of pitching help....he's going to be a steady contributor in the future who we count upon?

When Quintana came in, the game was already well out of hand. Hector Santiago looked good in two similar appearances last year against the Twins, and it's not like that turned out so well as future projection of big league success. Mopping up in a double-header when the teams just want to get through the games as quickly as possible and actually starting a game against a really good AL line-up are two quite different things.

I guess you can argue that Quintana being our best possible option (or Stults or Axelrod) is the biggest condemnation of all regarding our minor league depth in terms of major league ready quality arms at this exact moment in time.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Cue the "Well one is a starter" noise.

I like all the left-handed mystery pitchers we have. They are all gonna be nice filler for that trade that lands us a young bat.

Besides Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin, when's the last time we actually landed a good young bat via trade?

The organization was also very high on Jon Adkins, Felix Diaz, Sean Tracey, Chris Marquez, Nick Masset, David Aardsma, Sisco, MacDougal, Zach Stewart...now Nestor Molina. PROVE IT with some results on the field instead of the PR/Chris Rongey/Scott Merkin talk.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Besides Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin, when's the last time we actually landed a good young bat via trade?

The organization was also very high on Jon Adkins, Felix Diaz, Sean Tracey, Chris Marquez, Nick Masset, David Aardsma, Sisco, MacDougal, Zach Stewart...now Nestor Molina. PROVE IT with some results on the field instead of the PR/Chris Rongey/Scott Merkin talk.

When's the last time we actually needed to land a good young bat? Sure you can argue every day of every year but so can every team. If Beckham and Quentin did what they were supposed to do then we wouldn't need a bat. Morel would still be struggling but we wouldn't care.

Give KW a chance to try again I say, and I think it's time. We have tons of prospects that are mysteries like in the Peavy deal. d