Fukudome complains to Japanese press about sitting

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,123270.story

Just what the Sox need, another mini-controversy in the middle of our 4-11 stretch.

I can't believe that KW signed him with the idea he was going to give him 300+ AB's. At some point, they might need to waive him and use a Danks or Golson as the 4th outfielder (depending on what happens with Lillibridge/Morel at 3B).

Or bring up Dan Johnson, who has been hitting really well in Charlotte. Or just get rid of Escobar.

By the way, Brad Penny's now available. Managed to make it through one start in Japan.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/8/3007371/b...apan-mlb-offers

Somehow, I have a feeling this will be KW's next brilliant move. Apparently Penny already has some offers from major league teams to come back.

According to team officials, Penny was "unable to adapt well to baseball in Japan, [and he] strongly desired to leave."

Now, though, there might be a chance for the 33-year-old Penny to return to MLB, says Buster Olney:

Brad Penny has offers to be a starter and offers to be a reliever from MLB teams. Will choose soon.

There are many teams that have issues in both their rotation and bullpen. If Penny is healthy again, he might be able to help out, and probably wouldn't cost too much.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,123270.story

Just what the Sox need, another mini-controversy in the middle of our 4-11 stretch.

I can't believe that KW signed him with the idea he was going to give him 300+ AB's. At some point, they might need to waive him and use a Danks or Golson as the 4th outfielder (depending on what happens with Lillibridge/Morel at 3B).

Or bring up Dan Johnson, who has been hitting really well in Charlotte. Or just get rid of Escobar.

By the way, Brad Penny's now available. Managed to make it through one start in Japan.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/8/3007371/b...apan-mlb-offers

Somehow, I have a feeling this will be KW's next brilliant move. Apparently Penny already has some offers from major league teams to come back.

According to team officials, Penny was "unable to adapt well to baseball in Japan, [and he] strongly desired to leave."

Now, though, there might be a chance for the 33-year-old Penny to return to MLB, says Buster Olney:

Brad Penny has offers to be a starter and offers to be a reliever from MLB teams. Will choose soon.

There are many teams that have issues in both their rotation and bullpen. If Penny is healthy again, he might be able to help out, and probably wouldn't cost too much.

This is the quote:

And Kosuke Fukudome, who told a reporter from the Kyode News before the game that he would like to play more, would have been an upgrade over Viciedo, who is learning his fourth position in four years.

Unless you have a link to some other article, it seems like you are just creating controversy here where none exists. Your thread title is misleading.

So if it's not a story, then I guess every player gives quotes to the press talking about their lack of playing time and wishing that they could play more, correct?

I mean...have we seen Lillibridge or Flowers say something like that?

Perhaps you're right. I don't speak Japanese so I can't read the original quotes. I'm just wondering why a Chicago sportswriter would consider it important to include in a game story.

It might have been just a "general" question like, "How's the season going so far?" and the respnse was something along the lines of "It's going fine, but I don't feel that I've been able to contribute much yet," and somehow that was turned into the news blip that ended up in the story.

Do we have anyone who reads or speaks Japanese who can find out EXACTLY what he said in native language?

Edited by caulfield12

Thank you for bringing the facts secondary posters.

I don't understand this Dan Johnson business. Sure he hits, but doesn't that cripple our bench to have yet another non-defensive player? Or am I wrong about this guy's defensive abilities?

So Mark Gonzales' was pointing out the fact that Fukudome not playing over Viciedo has something to do with our team's recent poor play?

He was trying to tie the two in together, so I'm not sure how he's NOT trying to create controversy himself.

By the way, we have the worst or most unproductive bench in baseball, shouldn't we be actively trying to improve it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
So if it's not a story, then I guess every player gives quotes to the press talking about their lack of playing time and wishing that they could play more, correct?

caulfield I want every single player on that bench saying he would like to play more! It's called ambition, and it's different than complaining about playing time. IMHO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
This is the quote:

Unless you have a link to some other article, it seems like you are just creating controversy here where none exists. Your thread title is misleading.

That's Caulfield being Caulfield.

I don't see the controversy. I think he actually should be playing more. But he was just talking to the japanese reporters. Why wouldn't he want more at bats? Robin seemed to be OK with it on whitesox.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)

I mean...have we seen Lillibridge or Flowers say something like that?

Perhaps you're right. I don't speak Japanese so I can't read the original quotes. I'm just wondering why a Chicago sportswriter would consider it important to include in a game story.

It might have been just a "general" question like, "How's the season going so far?" and the respnse was something along the lines of "It's going fine, but I don't feel that I've been able to contribute much yet," and somehow that was turned into the news blip that ended up in the story.

Do we have anyone who reads or speaks Japanese who can find out EXACTLY what he said in native language?

Lillibridge hints at his displeasure with his playing time on his twitter account on occasion. Or, more accurately, how the bench players should be utilized more to help teams win.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:17 AM)
Shouldve seen the marlins thread during the ozzie guillen cuban crisis. He was a one man tmz.com

Should there be a thread called Caulfield12's Corner? Maybe Out of Left Field with Caulfield12? It could feature all the news and speculation only he is aware of.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Should there be a thread called Caulfield12's Corner? Maybe Out of Left Field with Caulfield12? It could feature all the news and speculation only he is aware of.

Good idea. Could include Chris Sale/Addison Reed controversy, Ozzie Guillen, Joe Cowley, Greg Walker vs. Don Cooper, Marty34 special guest appearances and a special podcast featuring random Applebees' customers in Lawrence being interviewed about the Sox.

Greg can even have his own 2 minute section of the show dedicated to the Royals beating up the White Sox and why we're playing so poorly at USCF. Special Mark Liptak (WSI) style in-depth interviews with Pierre, Wise, Jenks, Ozzie, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
Good idea. Could include Chris Sale/Addison Reed controversy, Ozzie Guillen, Joe Cowley, Greg Walker vs. Don Cooper, Marty34 special guest appearances and a special podcast featuring random Applebees' customers in Lawrence being interviewed about the Sox.

Greg can even have his own 2 minute section of the show dedicated to the Royals beating up the White Sox and why we're playing so poorly at USCF. Special Mark Liptak (WSI) style in-depth interviews with Pierre, Wise, Jenks, Ozzie, etc.

That's hilarious.

You could also have a special "deep" segment where banned posters can have their say.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:12 AM)
That's hilarious.

You could also have a special "deep" segment where banned posters can have their say.

Now that I think about it, there should also be a special "Braves' stupefylingly-amazing hitting progress due 100% to the exhaustive and incessant tinkering and soft toss drills of Greg Walker" of the Week Section, too.

But I have my doubts Richie Allen will agree to appear in the segment.

FWIW, more of the Braves' hitters are crediting assistant hitting coach Scott "Scooter" Fletcher with their hitting success this season, rather than the formerly-esteemed Mr. Walker.

Do we want guys on the roster that say "I'm enjoying sitting on the bench and collecting my paychecks"? I'm not certain why it would be a bad thing for a player to say he wants to play more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:11 AM)
A bench player wishing he could play more. What a controversy. What was KW thinking signing this guy? I thought the Sox were at about rock bottom until this.

If a guy is happy with sitting on the bench, I don't want him on my team.

If Fukudome wanted to earn a starting job, he shouldn't have stunk with the Indians last year, and he should have been ready to really step up and contribute in the shots he's gotten this year rather than hitting .176 out of the gate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
If Fukudome wanted to earn a starting job, he shouldn't have stunk with the Indians last year, and he should have been ready to really step up and contribute in the shots he's gotten this year rather than hitting .176 out of the gate.

[southern accent]Balta, that is the hardest .176 batting average I have seen in my 33 years of baseball [/hawkism]