It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
So then the umps should have had increased awareness and sensitivity to the Rays hitting De Aza in one of the previous games, then Beckham, then AJ in the finale. Instead, they seemed to only have increased sensitivity to Quintana throwing behind but entirely missing Zobrist on a pitch below the waist. And after all this, De Aza got hit in the knee at 2B.

The umps were clearly wrong in their handling of all this.

Exactly.If no warning had been issued, I don't know how you let them get away with hitting AJ with zero consequence, yet eject someone who didn't even hit the hitter. If he hit him, I at least could see there may be some reason for ejection, but clearly AJ was hit on purpose, how come there was no ejection then? And the thing with De Aza was on purpose too. Don't anyone fool themselves. When they got the warnings against the Cubs, I suggested they hit a runner on a pick off "attempt". It rarely occurs, but seems to occur at the strangest times.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Especially that umpire who got suspended a few weeks ago.

Wegner in Sox game and Lans Diaz the other night with Russell Martin also littlebulldog.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
As bad as Wegner's call was, it doesn't top Charlie Haeger getting tossed for hitting a guy with a knuckleball.

Oh yeah, that was horsecrap. I forgot about that one.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
How come this is the first outburst that has become national attention? Hawk has had several similar rants on umpires in the past few years.

ya the time he went off on Joe West comes to mind. When he threw Buerhle out of the game.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Look at Hawks picture on the cover, the one in the tuxedo.

Look at Steve's signature, Areed, first one from the left.

Same guy.

You have to love Hawk for his rant on Wegner. I cannot believe that he is taking heat for this. Cannot a guy express his opinion on umpiring?

Just read that Selig and Reinsdorf spoke with Hawk about his tirade.

That's bulls***.

He didn't cuss. This is a free country.

p.s. I know many of you hate Ozzie, but his quote on the matter was hlarious...

"If I say that I'd be in jail. I'm not going to be suspended, I'm going to be in jail," Guillen told media. "They take the passport away from me and everything. You were an American citizen once. Not anymore."

Ozzie is my kinda guy. He doesn't take things seriously. I love it!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)

That's bulls***.

That's the silliest thing you could possibly have said to defend him. He has every right to go out on the street and say whatever he wants. He doesn't have the right o make his owner look bad if his owner decides that's what happened.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)

That's bulls***.

"If I say that I'd be in jail. I'm not going to be suspended, I'm going to be in jail," Guillen told media. "They take the passport away from me and everything. You were an American citizen once. Not anymore."

All talk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
That's the silliest thing you could possibly have said to defend him. He has every right to go out on the street and say whatever he wants. He doesn't have the right o make his owner look bad if his owner decides that's what happened.

Do you really think they let Hawk have it? It was a PR move for the umpires. They probably told Hawk he's was absolutely correct, but they don't want problems with the umpires.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Do you really think they let Hawk have it? It was a PR move for the umpires. They probably told Hawk he's was absolutely correct, but they don't want problems with the umpires.

No, they don't want problems with announcers going f***ing crazy out of line on umpires.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)

That's bulls***.

Ok, they have every right to discipline Hawk as his employer.

Ozzie is all talk. He'd be suspended.

We know you don't like managers who take things seriously, like winning.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
No, they don't want problems with announcers going f***ing crazy out of line on umpires.

They don't want announcers going off on every blown call and having their rant go viral, I'll give you that. The conversations Hawk had with JR and Bud though were just for show. If they were the "knockout" Hawk was telling everyone they were, he would have said he's not going to snap over umpires ever again and would have issued a public apology. He didn't apologize and said he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

That's bulls***.

"it's a free country" misused for the billionth time.

It's a free country, so Hawk is welcome to yell about the umpires on 35th street outside the park. As a well-paid employee, he's subject to what the team and league wants to project.

It's also a free country in that Jerry can fire him. Jerry is perfectly free to do that.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
They don't want announcers going off on every blown call and having their rant go viral, I'll give you that. The conversations Hawk had with JR and Bud though were just for show. If they were the "knockout" Hawk was telling everyone they were, he would have said he's not going to snap over umpires ever again and would have issued a public apology. He didn't apologize and said he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

So the umpires could feel better to the 224 listeners of the Mully and Hanley show? It seems like a bit of a stretch to make up this big conspiracy so that the umpires would feel better about the terrible call.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
So the umpires could feel better to the 224 listeners of the Mully and Hanley show? It seems like a bit of a stretch to make up this big conspiracy so that the umpires would feel better about the terrible call.

No, MLB doesn't want a bad relationship with the umpires. If Selig doesn't talk to Hawk, the umpires are going to be upset. Do you really think Bud and JR read Hawk the riot act? First, there is nothing Selig can do to discipline Hawk. Do you really think JR disagrees with Hawk's view? Not a chance. He didn't even apologize and wasn't sure if he ever would. They want Hawk to lighten up on the umpires. Its nothing new. JR has been asking him to do this for at least 15 years. Its not as if he's in danger of losing his job. Its all show. There's a reason these private conversations became public.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
No, MLB doesn't want a bad relationship with the umpires. If Selig doesn't talk to Hawk, the umpires are going to be upset. Do you really think Bud and JR read Hawk the riot act? First, there is nothing Selig can do to discipline Hawk. Do you really think JR disagrees with Hawk's view? Not a chance. He didn't even apologize and wasn't sure if he ever would. They want Hawk to lighten up on the umpires. Its nothing new. JR has been asking him to do this for at least 15 years. Its not as if he's in danger of losing his job. Its all show. There's a reason these private conversations became public.

No, I think you're looking far too much into this. I think Bud ripped him a new one for going off on his umpires. Its one thing when White Sox fans hear it, its another when it becomes a national story and everyone hears it.

And btw, we went through this whole song and dance earlier in the thread...Selig can discipline Hawk and/or fire him.