John Danks diagnosed with a grade 1 scapula tear

Baron

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
Ummm does power sinker ring a bell? That was Garland's best pitch. Apparently you associate power with velocity which is a fallacy.

If velocity is all you're looking for, Danks tops out at 94 which would put him in the top 20ish% of LH starters.

I associate power with the K stat, and overpowering batters which equated to those Ks. IMO, to be a true power pitcher that pitches to K, you need a 1:1 K/IP ratio or better.

It's fine if you disagree with my assessment of what a true power pitcher is. Peavy WAS a true power pitcher. Kerry Wood WAS a true power pitcher.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
(At what point do we start randomly tweeting reporters and asking if Danks's contract is insured?)

First there need to be the obligatory inquiries as to the status and whereabouts of former Sox pitchers such as Javier Vazquez or Jon Garland. Then, and only then that next step can be taken.

Then RA Dickey is a power pitcher this year...

Danks is somewhere in between. Not a finesse guy, not really a true power pitcher, either. Certainly, at his diminished velocity, he wasn't missing as many bats as before.

Any pitcher with a great change-up can strike out a ton of guys. Johan Santana, in his prime, for example.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Then RA Dickey is a power pitcher this year...

Danks is somewhere in between. Not a finesse guy, not really a true power pitcher, either. Certainly, at his diminished velocity, he wasn't missing as many bats as before.

Any pitcher with a great change-up can strike out a ton of guys. Johan Santana, in his prime, for example.

Didn't Santana combine that amazing change with a blazing heater, to the tune of about a 15mph difference?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
When he gets to the towel drill, I'll get excited. I hope he's OK, but I really wonder.

Danks plays catch, says shoulder is making progress

July 16, 2012, 6:12 pm

BOSTON -- John Danks had a wide smile on his face Monday afternoon after he successfully played catch from 90 feet.

The White Sox pitcher has been on the disabled list since May 20 with a left shoulder strain and hasn’t attempted to hide his frustration with his lack of progress. But Danks finally saw positive signs before the team’s series opener against the Boston Red Sox. Even though he’s uncertain what it means for his immediate future, Danks is just happy to finally receive good news.

“I’m giddy right now and it’s still sore,” Danks said. “Just to go out there and throw and feel like we are making progress again, it’s definitely huge. I needed something positive to happen. It was getting kind of tough there for a little bit. I don’t know how much longer we have. But for sure we are moving in the right direction.”

Danks couldn’t recall how long it had been since he had last played catch, but knew it was prior to the All-Star break. Though several MRIs have shown no structural damage to Danks’ left shoulder, his return has been halted several times even after long rest periods.

For now, Danks will only look at the short-term. He plans to play catch at 90 feet again on Tuesday and, after he takes Wednesday off, hopes to move to 120 feet on Thursday.

“I’m not ready to go and pitch tomorrow but you know, it was good,” Danks said. “It was sore in all the right places, which was good. I don’t know, do it again tomorrow. But it’s definitely kind of a relief to be out there and throw and actually feel the improvement for sure. … It’s all based on how I’m feeling. Definitely encouraged after today and tomorrow will tell us a lot.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Danks plays catch, says shoulder is making progress

July 16, 2012, 6:12 pm

BOSTON -- John Danks had a wide smile on his face Monday afternoon after he successfully played catch from 90 feet.

The White Sox pitcher has been on the disabled list since May 20 with a left shoulder strain and hasn’t attempted to hide his frustration with his lack of progress. But Danks finally saw positive signs before the team’s series opener against the Boston Red Sox. Even though he’s uncertain what it means for his immediate future, Danks is just happy to finally receive good news.

“I’m giddy right now and it’s still sore,” Danks said. “Just to go out there and throw and feel like we are making progress again, it’s definitely huge. I needed something positive to happen. It was getting kind of tough there for a little bit. I don’t know how much longer we have. But for sure we are moving in the right direction.”

Danks couldn’t recall how long it had been since he had last played catch, but knew it was prior to the All-Star break. Though several MRIs have shown no structural damage to Danks’ left shoulder, his return has been halted several times even after long rest periods.

For now, Danks will only look at the short-term. He plans to play catch at 90 feet again on Tuesday and, after he takes Wednesday off, hopes to move to 120 feet on Thursday.

“I’m not ready to go and pitch tomorrow but you know, it was good,” Danks said. “It was sore in all the right places, which was good. I don’t know, do it again tomorrow. But it’s definitely kind of a relief to be out there and throw and actually feel the improvement for sure. … It’s all based on how I’m feeling. Definitely encouraged after today and tomorrow will tell us a lot.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

Sorry old article. Thought that said the 18th, not 16th.