2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
You know what making moves just to make moves reminds me of? It's what Orlando's spent the last 5 years doing or what Cleveland was doing trying to make James happy.

They had a roster that was a step below championship caliber, and if they stayed pat they had an outside shot at things. But that wasnt' enough to keep their star happy or really push themselves into a championship team.

So what did they start doing? They started gambling...taking the assets they had and trying to turn them into something that could help. That's why Cleveland wound up with Shaq. That's why Orlando wound up trading for Turkoglu again. Thats' why Orlando wound up trading for Arenas. That's why Orlando traded for Vince Carter. They had to make a move somehow, but they didn't have assets to trade...so they did the big contract for big contract swap.

That's right where the Bulls are now. They simply don't have the assets to make a major deal. They won't have a top 10 pick until 2015+, the would have difficulty coming up with an expiring deal (although they could hypothetically do so if they packaged Hamilton, Korver, and Watson), and if they tried to turn the expiring they have into something, it'd involve taking on something like Joe Johnson's awful contract.

To be fair, Cleveland and Orlando were trying to appease their superstars (aka make them happy or we lose them). Rose is not going anywhere for a long time. The Bulls don't have to be stupid in an attempt to put together a better playoff outfit.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose + Lu + Noah + Taj + Mirotic means the Bulls are over the cap.

How so? Mirotic on a rookie contract?

Deng/Noah/Rose is 31 million right now. And Taj won't need to be extended for 2 more years

really? I said the Heat Offense? Read it again, I said the HEAT

oh, my mistake.

Anyway, I agree that the Heat have a really good defense. But so do we. Ours is arguably better than theirs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
You know what making moves just to make moves reminds me of? It's what Orlando's spent the last 5 years doing or what Cleveland was doing trying to make James happy.

They had a roster that was a step below championship caliber, and if they stayed pat they had an outside shot at things. But that wasnt' enough to keep their star happy or really push themselves into a championship team.

So what did they start doing? They started gambling...taking the assets they had and trying to turn them into something that could help. That's why Cleveland wound up with Shaq. That's why Orlando wound up trading for Turkoglu again. Thats' why Orlando wound up trading for Arenas. That's why Orlando traded for Vince Carter. They had to make a move somehow, but they didn't have assets to trade...so they did the big contract for big contract swap.

That's right where the Bulls are now. They simply don't have the assets to make a major deal. They won't have a top 10 pick until 2015+, the would have difficulty coming up with an expiring deal (although they could hypothetically do so if they packaged Hamilton, Korver, and Watson), and if they tried to turn the expiring they have into something, it'd involve taking on something like Joe Johnson's awful contract.

Whoa whoa, wherever did I say anything about making moves just to make moves. I said the FO needs to put a STAR next to Rose and quit f***ing around. Im not talking about adding Hedo Turkoglu and Vinsanity and calling it a day. The team needs to make a team, not piecemeal together around Dwight like Orlando did.

They need to get creative and stop letting everyone else pass them by waiting for a handout. Every one of those other GMs did so and benefited from it, they didnt wait for it, they LOOKED for it.

Whoa whoa, wherever did I say anything about making moves just to make moves. I said the FO needs to put a STAR next to Rose and quit f***ing around. Im not talking about adding Hedo Turkoglu and Vinsanity and calling it a day. The team needs to make a team, not piecemeal together around Dwight like Orlando did.

They need to get creative and stop letting everyone else pass them by waiting for a handout. Every one of those other GMs did so and benefited from it, they didnt wait for it, they LOOKED for it.

Which star should they add? How?

Its easy to say they should, much harder to do.

I mean they were all set to go after Dwight, but the fool doesn't want to come here. Thats ALWAYS how it is with FA's and Chicago, nobody wants to be here

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
How so? Mirotic on a rookie contract?

Deng/Noah/Rose is 31 million right now. And Taj won't need to be extended for 2 more years

Taj Gibson will be a restricted free agent next year, same as Asik now.

Deng = $13.3 million, Noah = $11 million, Rose = about $18.5 million. Those 3 are $42 million next year give or take and each of them gets mroe expensive with time. Becomes $44-$45 million in the 2013 season depending on where Rose actually is.

Add in $8 million for Gibson (compare to Asik' sdeal), and the money it costs to both bring Mirotic over and pay him anything, and you're at $55 million or so. Then throw in rookie contracts for Teague and Butler and you're at/over the cap.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
by how much, do you know?

He's a 5 year, $95 million deal, which averages out to $19 million a year. If he starts next year at $18.5 million or so that's reasonable and would probably have him finishing the deal at $20 mil.

Taj Gibson will be a restricted free agent next year, same as Asik now.

Deng = $13.3 million, Noah = $11 million, Rose = about $18.5 million. Those 3 are $42 million next year give or take and each of them gets mroe expensive with time. Becomes $44-$45 million in the 2013 season depending on where Rose actually is.

Add in $8 million for Gibson (compare to Asik' sdeal), and the money it costs to both bring Mirotic over and pay him anything, and you're at $55 million or so. Then throw in rookie contracts for Teague and Butler and you're at/over the cap.

Rose's contract says 6.9million/6yr right now. Are you telling me it spikes to almost 3 times as much by next year?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
oh, my mistake.

Anyway, I agree that the Heat have a really good defense. But so do we. Ours is arguably better than theirs.

It is impossible for you to admit that the Heat are better, I understand this. But it is all moot when the Heat can put Lebron James on Rose and shut him and the rest of the Bulls offense down immediately. It is what it is. The Heat are top heavy, the Big 3 are far greater than the sum of the Bulls current parts.

He's a 5 year, $95 million deal, which averages out to $19 million a year. If he starts next year at $18.5 million or so that's reasonable and would probably have him finishing the deal at $20 mil.

mind-boggling. Who the hell agreed to that...?

How are we supposed to put good players around him with a prohibitive contract like that?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)

How are we supposed to put good players around him with a prohibitive contract like that?

Your other option was allowing Derrick Rose to become a free agent. Take your pick. He's worth that on the open market.

It is impossible for you to admit that the Heat are better, I understand this. But it is all moot when the Heat can put Lebron James on Rose and shut him and the rest of the Bulls offense down immediately. It is what it is. The Heat are top heavy, the Big 3 are far greater than the sum of the Bulls current parts.

thats another thing, the whole "put lebron on Rose to shut him down" thing is a myth imo. In the ECF Lebron guarded Rose for all of 3 minutes total.

Your other option was allowing Derrick Rose to become a free agent. Take your pick. He's worth that on the open market.

no, it was that "Derrick Rose rule" thing in the CBA. For some reason, they agreed to put that into the new CBA.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
no, it was that "Derrick Rose rule" thing in the CBA. For some reason, they agreed to put that into the new CBA.

He'd still be a $17 million a year player starting this season even without that rule. That rule added probably about $8-10 million to his deal over the full course of it.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)

hence the need for the FO to start trying to get creative and clear some space to rebuild around Rose. This season is a complete wash, I dont want Rose coming back in January just because that is a date that people say he possibly could come back. I want him back when he can be himself, and when he comes back I want the team to be better.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)

You, sir, are not a fan.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
thats another thing, the whole "put lebron on Rose to shut him down" thing is a myth imo. In the ECF Lebron guarded Rose for all of 3 minutes total.

Ok sure, the Bulls would have won. You are right.

hence the need for the FO to start trying to get creative and clear some space to rebuild around Rose. This season is a complete wash, I dont want Rose coming back in January just because that is a date that people say he possibly could come back. I want him back when he can be himself, and when he comes back I want the team to be better.

I think the doctors know when its best for him to come back. Sitting out a full year just because is not good for his recovery. His muscles will begin to deteriorate, he'll become weaker, he might never regain his bounce that way.

Ok sure, the Bulls would have won. You are right.

Huh? I'm just saying its a total myth that LEbron shuts Rose down. Leave Lebron on Rose for the duration of a game, Rose would blow by him like he blows past anyone. The reason the Heat were successful in guarding the Bulls was not as simple to explain as "put Lebron on Rose". It was a team effort.

He'd still be a $17 million a year player starting this season even without that rule. That rule added probably about $8-10 million to his deal over the full course of it.

It's just crazy to think that Lebron signed for a smaller contract than Derrick. I love my boy D.Rose but come on...the best player in the NBA is getting paid less. Its a little ridiculous.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Huh? I'm just saying its a total myth that LEbron shuts Rose down. Leave Lebron on Rose for the duration of a game, Rose would blow by him like he blows past anyone. The reason the Heat were successful in guarding the Bulls was not as simple to explain as "put Lebron on Rose". It was a team effort.

You're missing the point. It'd be silly to put LeBron on Rose for the duration. That's a weapon you go to late when it's close. And sorry. LeBron did shut Rose down last year. I don't know what you saw.