2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
At least the Nets would still get smoked by the Heat.

LBJ > All

They'd have Dwight Howard, the one guy in the league that can actually punish the Heat inside. Plus Gerald Wallace is the kind of athlete that can at least make Lebron work offensively. I'm not sure they'll have enough around those 4 guys to win it, but they'd be considerably more dangerous than anyone else in the east.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
They'd have Dwight Howard, the one guy in the league that can actually punish the Heat inside. Plus Gerald Wallace is the kind of athlete that can at least make Lebron work offensively. I'm not sure they'll have enough around those 4 guys to win it, but they'd be considerably more dangerous than anyone else in the east.

Gerald Wallace is a 30 year old with the nickname "Crash". He will be a non-factor soon enough.

They'd be good, but I'd still bet on the Miami LeBrons.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
After LBJ and Dwight I just want to give a big hug to Rose and Durant.

How about management gives Rose a metaphorical hug and quits f***ing around and gets him some legit help

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Management is nearly meaningless for these deals. You need to get Rose out there shopping for superstar.

And Rose isnt going to do that.

He didnt shop for Lebron, he didnt shop for Dwight. Hate it or love it.

Nets signed Mirza Teletovic, who's a stretch 4 basically.

If the Nets get Howard, Rose will have 3 teams with All-Stars to punch through: The Heat, the Nets, and the Knicks (they played better under Woodson).

Rose needs help bad. Noah and Taj can hold down the frontcourt, but a dynamic wing is so desperately needed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
If the Nets get Howard, the Nets and Heat should be in a different category than the Knicks, who may not even be better than the aging Celtics.

Hard to say because the Knicks were rarely all healthy and clicking at the same time last year. Linsanity happened mostly with Melo and/or Stoudemire out and once those two got back Lin had some issues.

I like the Knicks in theory. Lin/Shumpert/Melo/Amare/Chandler is a very talented group. They'd also have some bench production with Fields (a fairly solid all-around player) and Novak (token white shooter). Whether they can all mesh is another story, 3 of those guys seem to play a lot better with the ball in their hands. Plus Chandler seems overdue for a major injury, which would obliterate any hopes of them having a defense.

Everything is still extremely preliminary as well. Dwight to Brooklyn isn't official yet. Neither is Lin staying in New York. Roy Hibbert might be a Blazer and Ray Allen is still talking with the Heat and Clippers. All of those have a huge impact on how the East shakes out.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
Hard to say because the Knicks were rarely all healthy and clicking at the same time last year. Linsanity happened mostly with Melo and/or Stoudemire out and once those two got back Lin had some issues.

I like the Knicks in theory. Lin/Shumpert/Melo/Amare/Chandler is a very talented group. They'd also have some bench production with Fields (a fairly solid all-around player) and Novak (token white shooter). Whether they can all mesh is another story, 3 of those guys seem to play a lot better with the ball in their hands. Plus Chandler seems overdue for a major injury, which would obliterate any hopes of them having a defense.

Everything is still extremely preliminary as well. Dwight to Brooklyn isn't official yet. Neither is Lin staying in New York. Roy Hibbert might be a Blazer and Ray Allen is still talking with the Heat and Clippers. All of those have a huge impact on how the East shakes out.

Is there any obvious reason to think that Amare isn't starting down the path of increasing injuries and decreasing effectiveness?

There are reports Lin wont even be back with the Knicks.

I also dont love Lin like others, if you watch the film he really struggles going to his off hand and basically needs every set run on the right side of the court.

Shumpert is injured, who knows what will happen with him.

Melo/Amare/Chandler are all depreciating assets and Id say its remote that all 3 play a full season.

Im just really not a fan of that team.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Is there any obvious reason to think that Amare isn't starting down the path of increasing injuries and decreasing effectiveness?

Obviously no, it's highly possible. Which is why I said "in theory".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
There are reports Lin wont even be back with the Knicks.

I also dont love Lin like others, if you watch the film he really struggles going to his off hand and basically needs every set run on the right side of the court.

Shumpert is injured, who knows what will happen with him.

Melo/Amare/Chandler are all depreciating assets and Id say its remote that all 3 play a full season.

Im just really not a fan of that team.

I said Lin might not be back. Obviously that's a factor. I actually just read that Fields is gone, which already changes what I posted. :lolhitting

I don't think anyone thinks he's going to average what he did when he was red hot. Clearly he's not THAT good. Still, if he can average 13-7 or so, that'd be huge for the Knicks. That's not totally out of the realm of possibility, though he'd have to get used to being a past-first guard.

Shumpert may miss some time, but the playoffs are when it matters. He's basically just an athletic role player, they don't need him to score 20 a night.

Amare clearly has some lingering knee issues, which is a factor. Tyson has had issues in the past though he has been healthy the last two years. Melo isn't nearly as big an issue, he may miss 10 games here and there but hasn't had anything catastrophic happen.

I wouldn't say they are "depreciating assets" significantly more than some of their rivals. You specifically brought up Boston, whose three future hall of famers have all looked pretty dinged up for long stretches and are shells of their former selves. Wade looked pretty off in the latter portions of the playoffs and could be headed downhill soon (though they're obviously still the favorites). The Bulls' best player just tore his ACL, Boozer is getting older and has had plenty of injury issues, and Deng/Noah seem prone to nagging issues. Those would be their 3 major threats outside of Brooklyn, and we have no idea what their roster even looks like.

I did say I like the Knicks "in theory". Part of that assumes relatively good health. That also assumes that they play to their relative talent level when the games actually start.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I could be wrong, I just dont like the way the Knicks were built. And Shumpert's game is athleticism, which is why a major injury could significantly impact his ability to play the game.

I said that the Knicks may not be better than the aging Celtics, which was to point out that there is a pretty big chasm between the Heat and everyone else.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
How much you guys think Billups gonna make this season? He's the guy I want if they can afford him, a SG/SF, and a C (Like Willie Green and Joel Pryzbilla)

Very little, probably below the mini-MLE I'd guess. Can't commit much money to him after he played like 20 games last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Very little, probably below the mini-MLE I'd guess. Can't commit much money to him after he played like 20 games last year.

I'd take a gamble on him, pair him up with Rip again and hope they both stay healthy.

If they can't stay healthy then you just write off the season but if they both stay healthy, then i think the bulls are still a top 4 team in the east.

Give me Billups, Willie Green, and Joel Pryzbilla and call it an offseason

Pre Rose= Billups/Teague - Rip/Green - Lu/Butler - Boozer/Taj - Noah/Pryzbilla

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I'd take a gamble on him, pair him up with Rip again and hope they both stay healthy.

If they can't stay healthy then you just write off the season but if they both stay healthy, then i think the bulls are still a top 4 team in the east.

You'd be lucky to get 40 games out of those two. Billups tore his Achilles and is 36. Rip: see the last 4 years.

I really think chemistry, continuity and familiarity is being under rated. If you just sign a bunch of new guys, regardless of how good those guys are, I don't think there's going to be enough chemistry on that team to be as good as we were in 2010-2012 (pre Rose injury).