2012-2013 NBA thread

My problem with Ben Gordon was that he was a ridiculously bad and low effort defender. I accept that you may need an offensive player like him (not the best, but good) but this team doesn't want guys like him that don't play any defense.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
I don't really care about the rest, just use an actual stat instead of your own random, flawed qualifier that doesn't prove anything, especially when it's not even accurate. True shooting percentage would make far more sense, but then it would prove that he wasn't a scoring god. Ben Gordon was not more efficient scoring that year than Chris Paul just because Chris took .1 more shots, especially since he scored 2 more points. Points don't magically stop counting after 20, so don't pretend that they do. He was a good scorer, but not anywhere near top of the league good.

How is it a flawed qualifier? The biggest complaints about Gordon are that he didn't play defense(which 82games.com can dispell) and that he was a ballhog who just jacked up shots. I'm sorry, but FGA as well as FGM along with eFG% and TS% all prove that Gordon wasn't ballhogging. He was taking shots he could make. And if the stat fits, then yes, he was more efficient at scoring. Not saying he's a better player, but Ben definitely was great at scoring. And I've never said points don't stop counting after 20. But he didn't take nearly enough shots to average 30. I'm arguing that he was damn good at scoring for the amount of shots he took, and all the attempts, despite popular opinion, that he was a chucker is just flat out wrong. If Ben Gordon was a chucker, well goddamn, maybe I'm understanding the sport wrong.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
How is it a flawed qualifier? The biggest complaints about Gordon are that he didn't play defense(which 82games.com can dispell) and that he was a ballhog who just jacked up shots. I'm sorry, but FGA as well as FGM along with eFG% and TS% all prove that Gordon wasn't ballhogging. He was taking shots he could make. And if the stat fits, then yes, he was more efficient at scoring. Not saying he's a better player, but Ben definitely was great at scoring. And I've never said points don't stop counting after 20. But he didn't take nearly enough shots to average 30. I'm arguing that he was damn good at scoring for the amount of shots he took, and all the attempts, despite popular opinion, that he was a chucker is just flat out wrong. If Ben Gordon was a chucker, well goddamn, maybe I'm understanding the sport wrong.

And don't forget, offenses dialed in on Gordon because they all knew he was getting the ball.

If I could turn Boozer into Gordon I'd be so ecstatic, but that would never happen.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
If Asik leaves for nothing I'm gonna be PISSED.

We could have traded him last year for O.J. Mayo or Courtney Lee.

O.J. Mayo is a a URFA now.

I wonder how much money he'll sign for.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
If Asik leaves for nothing I'm gonna be PISSED.

We could have traded him last year for O.J. Mayo or Courtney Lee.

You do realize that both Lee and Mayo are restricted FA's as well and are going through the same situation, right? Mayo was non-tendered, so he's unerstricted, and Lee is working on a deal.

Net gain with trade would have been zilch.

I'm not a big fan of Asik, his ceiling is so very low offensively, his hands are terrible, and he still can't hardly play more than a backup role because he fouls out too quickly and doesn't have the conditioning for it.

If we could get a young SG with a high ceiling for him we should have done it.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I'm not a big fan of Asik, his ceiling is so very low offensively, his hands are terrible, and he still can't hardly play more than a backup role because he fouls out too quickly and doesn't have the conditioning for it.

If we could get a young SG with a high ceiling for him we should have done it.

But, he has the unique ability to be tall, which means he belongs getting the MLE or more from some team and taking up >30 minutes.

A lot of players that aren't even in the league right now have the 'unique' ability to be tall. We can get one of them for the vet minimum to play 12 minutes per game in a defensive role, and trade Asik and get our studly young 2 guard of the future to grow along side Derrick

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
A lot of players that aren't even in the league right now have the 'unique' ability to be tall. We can get one of them for the vet minimum to play 12 minutes per game in a defensive role, and trade Asik and get our studly young 2 guard of the future to grow along side Derrick

If someone offers a legit 2 guard back, obviously I'm not going to say no...but I'm betting the reason why a team like Houston would offer $8 mil a year is so that the Bulls wouldn't match.

As I said over on the other board, I'd really like to see Henry Sims brought in to replace Asik. He's a great passer for a 7 footer, offensively he'll be better than Asik, he doesn't have hands of stone, and while his D won't be as good as Omers, working with Thibs he'll be above average. Plus he'll come cheaper than any of the FA bigs worth a damn.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)

It's flawed because all you did was compare the entire league to Gordon's level of production, not do anything useful like compare TS% to people with similar shooting rates. Or in other words...

-Let me remove every player from consideration that didn't shoot enough to score 20 points per game without remotely considering their efficiency. Screw those guys, they don't have the balls to shoot as much as Ben Gordon.

-Let me remove every player that took more shots than Ben Gordon, again, regardless of efficiency. Screw those guys, they're too good at scoring.

Wow, Ben Gordon is left!

All it really does is find the guys that have the most Ben Gordon-level of shot taking.

70 players had a TS% greater than or equal to his rate of 57.3 that year, many of which shot as much or more than he did. That was one of his two years that was well above his career norm as well.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
The offer is 4-58, which comes out to $14.5 mil a year. That's basically the going rate for a remotely competent big man.

And they just drafted a pure C in the lottery. WTF are they doing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
And they just drafted a pure C in the lottery. WTF are they doing.

Leonard is a backup for the near future, I can see why they wouldn't worry about that. They'd have a crazy-good frontcourt with Hibbert/Aldridge and Leonard developing on the bench. My only concern after that would be 1) paying Batum as well, 2) Figuring out where to find a guard or two.