2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
Kirk Hinrich is absolutely awful at basketball these days.

Also a Brian Cook - Meyers Leonard comparison, that's odd

LOL, I realize Cook & Leonard are very different types of players. My point was that Cook has managed to stay in the league for 9 seasons, despite averaging 5.5 points/game over his career. I can see Leonard similarily hanging around the NBA for a while, but not being anything special.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, makes sense.

I personally think Leonard is going to have a very effective NBA career, and I'm nowhere near biased, wasn't a huge fan of him at ILL. Crying on the bench during a beatdown to Nebraska then having the gall to show your face in a bar that night is pretty incredible.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Ahh, makes sense.

I personally think Leonard is going to have a very effective NBA career, and I'm nowhere near biased, wasn't a huge fan of him at ILL. Crying on the bench during a beatdown to Nebraska then having the gall to show your face in a bar that night is pretty incredible.

His attitude is definitely something that gives me caution. He is gonna have to handle getting pushed around by grown ass men, and will have to put a hell of a lot more work in to improve. I guess I am slightly discounting how young he is, that he still has time to develop his skills, time will tell.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
Leonard will either be great or a complete bust. And the black guy quote is dead on. He's way more athletic and mobile than your average white stiff. He should have went higher than Drummond.

His measurements were about the same as Tyson Chandler's at the combine and he actually has very good touch for a big man. Leonard has tremendous upside, it is just a matter of whether he will put in the work required to be great.

I have a hard time buying the black comment given how far Perry Jones slid (before someone brings up the medical report, he was projected at like 19 before that). Drummond, Leonard and Jones all have very good measureables and none of them went top-5. You could argue that Leonard was better than those other two in college, but none of them really dominated.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Ahh, makes sense.

I think there is an issue with "familiarity breeds contempt"

Seeing every one of Meyers' failures and getting very used to (taking for granted) his successes is something that is going to happen when you watch a majority of the games, particularly when the team wasn't successful.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
I think there is an issue with "familiarity breeds contempt"

Seeing every one of Meyers' failures and getting very used to (taking for granted) his successes is something that is going to happen when you watch a majority of the games, particularly when the team wasn't successful.

I was saying I'm not biased from the perspective of oh yeah I think Meyers Leonard is gonna be great because I like Illinois

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I have a hard time buying the black comment given how far Perry Jones slid (before someone brings up the medical report, he was projected at like 19 before that). Drummond, Leonard and Jones all have very good measureables and none of them went top-5. You could argue that Leonard was better than those other two in college, but none of them really dominated.

And id still take Drummond over all of them. All 3 of them have tremmendous upside but I also think Drummond has the highest floor and it certainly wouldn't shock me if all 3 of them fail big time to live up to expectations.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Noah is really going to have to pick up his offensive game. They really need to consistently get 30+ from the combination of Boozer/Noah when Rose is gone.

The Bulls just really need to work on offense, creating plays and getting guys good looks going to the basket. Without Rose they just wont have anyone to bail them out if they get stagnant.

Hopefully working with Kareem will allow him to do just that, I see an All Star year out of Noah this coming up year.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)

I wanted PJ3 to fall to the Bulls so bad. I think he's a top 5 talent in this draft.

Final Draft Thoughts

Houston: Definitely had the best draft of anyone. Lamb, White, and Jones were all tremendous value for where they got them, and can be packaged into a much bigger piece (those three + Lowry for Howard?). Even if they keep them, it's a good young core to have.

New Orleans: Davis was the obvious pick, even if people overrate where he is offensively. Austin Rivers has gotten a bad rap coming into this draft for no reason at all. I'm really high on him, although I don't really know where he fits in with the Hornets. Darius Miller will be an NBA contributor too.

Portland: Don't think Lillard and Leonard will be stars, but both the next best thing. Will Barton is great value at #40 too.

Oklahoma City: The rich got richer with Perry Jones

Golden State: Harrison Barnes is a great pick for them. Festus Ezeli should be able to stick around for them. Not sure if Green fits, but he's worth taking a shot on at 34. They also got a draft and stash.

Lakers: I believe they got two rotation players with the 55th and 60th picks in Johnson-Odom and Robert Sacre.

Denver: Not sure on the two forgeiners, but they got the best value in the draft with Quincy Miller.

Dislike

Cleveland: In a perfect position to build around Irving, and they completely screw it up. I guess that's why they are Cleveland. Drafting Waiters was bad. Trading three picks for Tyler Zeller is inexcusable.

Toronto: They reached on Terrence Ross then drafted the wrong Quincy.

Boston: Sullinger is a no-brainer at 21. Kris Joseph fits in nicely with them. But they land here for drafting Fab Melo, who is just awful.

Philadelphia: Not big on Harkless amounting to much, nor does he fit in.

Chicago: It seemed like they panicked. More talented and useful players were on the board.

Miami: Not a big deal and I know they wanted they wanted to get out of the first round, but I don't know why you trade to draft Justin Hamilton.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I wanted PJ3 to fall to the Bulls so bad. I think he's a top 5 talent in this draft.

Yeah I got back from our softball game last night, hopped in the bar around the 20th pick or so and was shocked he was still there. He was a top 10 pick for me. I think OKC got a major, major steal (which royally sucks)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
On the radio today, Thibs said that Deng's wrist is improving. He doens't think he will need surgery, so he might ready when the season starts.

Ok, in what world does a torn tendon not need surgery? WTF, this situation pisses me off

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
If Meyers learns to stay in the post and be physical, he has immense upside. His ability to block shots alone will keep him in the NBA for quite a while. Being a 7 footer that can run and jump is a pretty hot commodity and the fact that Meyers has some back-to-the-basket game and a jumper that he might make when left open made him into a good late lottery pick.

Eh, I think he'll be a next O'Bryant from Bradley. OJ Mayo is not getting the qualifying offer. Bulls will still get Hinrich over him.

Yeah Teague definitely was a bpa selection, most people werent even discussing him as a lot of places had him in already off the board.

Austin Rivers has gotten a bad rap coming into this draft for no reason at all.

I think its because Austin Rivers isnt that good. He isnt a PG, at least not yet, so he is a 2 guard who shot 66% from the free throw line and isnt exactly amazing from the floor. He also is pretty selfish, which isnt a great trait if you are thinking hell be a pg.

Really no way he should have gone before J. Lamb, who is taller, more athletic and better at almost everything. But I guess they paid for the last name.

I also disagree with the Fab Melo comment. Boston wanted someone who can provide minutes immediately as a big. It was either Melo or Ezeli at that point, and I think most would believe Melo has more upside.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
I think that if Cleveland keeps this up, Dan Gilbert will need to worry about Lebron's kid winning a championship before Cleveland.

Dan Gilbert is too busy buying up the entire downtown detroit area and selling stupid fathead posters.