2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
And they just drafted a pure C in the lottery. WTF are they doing.

Hibbert is the f***ing s***, and he just keeps getting better. A four year deal for him would be brilliant for any team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Hibbert is the f***ing s***, and he just keeps getting better. A four year deal for him would be brilliant for any team.

Is this sarcasm? He's been 12 and 8 for the last three years. He's a good, not great, shot-blocker. He's alright. If you've got a great team around him. But he's no centerpiece.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Is this sarcasm? He's been 12 and 8 for the last three years. He's a good, not great, shot-blocker. He's alright. If you've got a great team around him. But he's no centerpiece.

Where do you get 12/8 for the last 3 years - that's just false? He also hasn't been unleashed for even 30 mpg yet.

He's 25, his PER jumped from 15 to 19, he's a shot blocking machine, and he can score and board. Among centers who played 29 minutes or more, Hibbert ranked 5th in the NBA behind Joakim Noah, Marcin Gortat, Andrew Bynum, and Dwight Howard.

He's f***ing good.

EDIT: And since when is 14.5 per a centerpiece?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Where do you get 12/8 for the last 3 years - that's just false? He also hasn't been unleashed for even 30 mpg yet.

He's 25, his PER jumped from 15 to 19, he's a shot blocking machine, and he can score and board. Among centers who played 29 minutes or more, Hibbert ranked 5th in the NBA behind Joakim Noah, Marcin Gortat, Andrew Bynum, and Dwight Howard.

He's f***ing good.

EDIT: And since when is 14.5 per a centerpiece?

How is it false? The numbers are right there for you. He's hasn't been "unleashed" yet because he's fat and has stamina issues. Ibaka is a great shotblocker. Not Hibbert. Because of the lack of true big men in today's game, he's overrated and about to be overpaid (almost $15 million?). GMAB.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
How is it false? The numbers are right there for you. He's hasn't been "unleashed" yet because he's fat and has stamina issues. Ibaka is a great shotblocker. Not Hibbert. Because of the lack of true big men in today's game, he's overrated and about to be overpaid (almost $15 million?). GMAB.

How does the following 3 seasons equal 3 straight 12/8 seasons?

12.8 / 8.8

12.7 / 7.5

11.7 / 5.7

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
How does the following 3 seasons equal 3 straight 12/8 seasons?

12.8 / 8.8

12.7 / 7.5

11.7 / 5.7

Oh my goodness. Whatever. Now tell me how he's "improving" and waiting to be "unleashed" upon the basketball world. There's a reason he hasn't exceeded 30 MPG. He's very slow laterally, foul prone and not always in the best of shape. This would be acceptable in 1986. Not today.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Oh my goodness. Whatever. Now tell me how he's "improving" and waiting to be "unleashed" upon the basketball world. There's a reason he hasn't exceeded 30 MPG. He's very slow laterally, foul prone and not always in the best of shape. This would be acceptable in 1986. Not today.

I just don't see how 12/6 = 13/9

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)

And the whole "5th most efficient center in the NBA" thing?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Michael Sweetney was a pretty efficient scorer down low too.

Yeah, for one season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sweetmi01.html

Hibbert is a good center. He's not all that efficient, though (.539 TS% in his best year). I wouldn't put him in the same tier as Horford, Noah, or Monroe. Those guys are far more efficient.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract, league source tells Y! Sports.

K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop

Rockets will sign Omer Asik to 3-year, $25 million deal on July 11. Bulls will have 3 days to match. 3rd year approaches $15 million.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
If Bulls match, which Gar Forman has consistently said the Bulls plan to do, guarantees Boozer would be amnestied for 2014-15 season. - KCJohnson

I've got to figure the Bulls will do everything they can to make some sign and trade magic happen here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
I've got to figure the Bulls will do everything they can to make some sign and trade magic happen here.

Courtney Lee would not solve the Bulls 2-guard woes, but he would be a nice guy to have.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
If Bulls match, which Gar Forman has consistently said the Bulls plan to do, guarantees Boozer would be amnestied for 2014-15 season. - KCJohnson

How does the cap work on a contract like this? Is it the average or what they make a season? A $15 million expiring contract in 2014-15 would be a pretty decent trade chip if the cap hit the first 2 years is small.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
Asik averaged 14.7 minutes a game. Let him go. Those minutes can be covered.

Giving Taj those minutes doesn't really hurt us on D, but only helps us offensively. This offer sheet is a blessing in disguise.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Taj plays a different position than Asik, lol

Why do people keep saying don't match? You realize we lose him for nothing then right? Are you guys happy to lose a guy we drafted and developed, who has tremendous value in todays NBA, for nothing?

I hope our GM isn't this shortsighted

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)

Why do people keep saying don't match? You realize we lose him for nothing then right? Are you guys happy to lose a guy we drafted and developed, who has tremendous value in todays NBA, for nothing?

$8.33 million average for a guy who averages 14.7 minutes a game and cannot score. Sometimes you just have to walk away. Considering the Bulls will be over the luxury cap, his real cost is probably even bigger. Wouldn't mind him back, but he's a luxury not a necessity.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)

At best you work a sign and trade and get something of value back in return, but I don't really know how likely that is.

This team is not in a position to pay a backup center that much money.

Edited by chw42