2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't really care about rebounds. A 6'8 260 pound F is supposed to be a better rebounder than a 6'6 215 pound SG. But LeBron is no doubt a better passer and has better court awareness than MJ. Jordan: Wait for the double team, find the open man. LeBron can do that and run an offense.

For sure he's a better passer. Court awareness, that I'm not so sure of.

But using assists to compare a guy that plays point on offense to a guy that played off-ball to the LeBron prototype.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:05 AM)
For sure he's a better passer. Court awareness, that I'm not so sure of.

But using assists to compare a guy that plays point on offense to a guy that played off-ball to the LeBron prototype.

I can agree with this. Raw assists alone is probably not the best way to go. But there's really nothing else to go on statistically. You just have to use your eyes (watching games). LeBron executes passes that rival Magic a lot of the time. Jordan passed well out of double teams. There's a big difference. s***, I think Scottie was a better passer than MJ.

Edited by Jordan4life

I've really grown weary of trying to compare guys that played the same position, but in different eras. And just forget about comparing guys who played different positions. If you judge a fish by its ability to climb trees, it fails.

Basketball is played with a 12 man roster, Lebron and MJ are on the roster and starting. And, I'll take a roster of guys who have played in the past twenty years against guys who played before anytime. In fact, I'll take guys ranked 13 - 24 from the past twenty years against the top 12 of the 50s - 80s, the game has changed that much. Ok that may be a bit of hyperbole, but when was the last time Dr. J was mentioned in any GOAT thread? Oscar who?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
when was the last time Dr. J was mentioned in any GOAT thread

I'm pretty sure the answer to that question involves "Michael Jordan".

That's the problem with Dr. J. Clearly one of the greatest of all time...but when you put him up against his airness...you give the edge to Mike. That means Dr. J could at best be #2.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 06:26 AM)
I've really grown weary of trying to compare guys that played the same position, but in different eras. And just forget about comparing guys who played different positions. If you judge a fish by its ability to climb trees, it fails.

Basketball is played with a 12 man roster, Lebron and MJ are on the roster and starting. And, I'll take a roster of guys who have played in the past twenty years against guys who played before anytime. In fact, I'll take guys ranked 13 - 24 from the past twenty years against the top 12 of the 50s - 80s, the game has changed that much. Ok that may be a bit of hyperbole, but when was the last time Dr. J was mentioned in any GOAT thread? Oscar who?

Karl Malone certainly remembers Oscar.

During an interview with “The Dan Patrick Show” on Monday, Malone spoke about LeBron James and some of the greatest players who have ever played the game. When asked to name his all-time starting five, Malone took John Stockton and Oscar Robertson as his guards, Wilt Chamberlain at center, LeBron at power forward and Scottie Pippen at small forward. Pippen and no Jordan — really?

“Scottie Pippen led the team in every statistical category while he was there without Michael Jordan,” Malone explained. “That’s why I have to put him there. So now you know.” [...]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-don...-002126880.html

lmao. Worst top 5 list I've ever seen.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't really care about rebounds. A 6'8 260 pound F is supposed to be a better rebounder than a 6'6 215 pound SG. But LeBron is no doubt a better passer and has better court awareness than MJ. Jordan: wait for the double team, find the open man. LeBron can do that and run an offense (ala Magic).

Which is why comparing Jordan and LeBron is silly to begin with. They are not similar style players. The most recent player who played a similar game to Jordan was Kobe, and Jordan is quite clearly superior to Kobe. You compare LeBron to Magic Johnson, and, to me, there's no debate which one of those two is better - that being Magic. It was unreal how good Magic was.

I still don't think anyone can hang with Jordan, in their primes, one on one. An incredibly talented and versatile scorer who also played incredible defense? No chance anybody beats him. The only guy who might is Magic.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Karl Malone certainly remembers Oscar.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-don...-002126880.html

lmao. Worst top 5 list I've ever seen.

Sorta wondering why he didn't pick himself...five times.

Malone came back on the Dan Patrick show this morning and said he was messing around with Dan because he knew that Dan has a "man-crush" on MJ. He said MJ would definitely be in his starting five, but he won't say who he'd take out because Dan refuses to have a serious conversation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Malone came back on the Dan Patrick show this morning and said he was messing around with Dan because he knew that Dan has a "man-crush" on MJ. He said MJ would definitely be in his starting five, but he won't say who he'd take out because Dan refuses to have a serious conversation.

I don't think Dan refuses to have a serious conversation, I just don't think it's possible to have a serious conversation with Karl Malone

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't think Dan refuses to have a serious conversation, I just don't think it's possible to have a serious conversation with Karl Malone

That's true of a bunch of guys. Charles Barkley says all kinds of ridiculous stuff, and I'd love to see a list of all of the centers that Shaq has said are better than Dwight Howard.

Unless you are discussing Beanie Babies.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
That's true of a bunch of guys. Charles Barkley says all kinds of ridiculous stuff, and I'd love to see a list of all of the centers that Shaq has said are better than Dwight Howard.

Oh man, Diesel hates Dwight so much.

Well those are Karl's reasons, not mine

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
I still don't think anyone can hang with Jordan, in their primes, one on one. An incredibly talented and versatile scorer who also played incredible defense? No chance anybody beats him. The only guy who might is Magic.

Thing with Jordan is not only is he the greatest scorer of all time, but also the best defensive SG of all time. Elite level of play on both sides of the ball.

The only other players who could claim best defender at their positions and also elite scorers are Duncan and Olajuwon. That has to count for something.

Also, as long as we're throwing out all-time starting five...here's mine based on fit.

PG: Magic

SG: Jordan

SF: Bird

PF: Duncan

C : Olajuwon

And anyone that suggests LeBron, Bird is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better fit for such a team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Which is why comparing Jordan and LeBron is silly to begin with. They are not similar style players. The most recent player who played a similar game to Jordan was Kobe, and Jordan is quite clearly superior to Kobe. You compare LeBron to Magic Johnson, and, to me, there's no debate which one of those two is better - that being Magic. It was unreal how good Magic was.

Sorta wondering why he didn't pick himself...five times.

Um. Kobe scored 81 once so....

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
lol. I feel like Michael Douglas sometimes and the rest of you are Glenn Close. Fortunately I don't have a Rabbit.

I think the better comparison would be you are Dian Bachar and the rest of us as Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

But don't worry, we still love you. Now go sleep in your cupboard.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)

The Nuggets are f***ing idiot. You don't tell George Karl (whether he deserved coach of the year or not this year) that you won't extend his deal if he's interested. He's right to tell them to f*** off.

Lord save us if the Clippers hire the man.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
I wonder if Prokhorov is going to back up the truck for Karl

I feel like the Clippers would go just as hard after him and also be a much more attractive destination.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
The Nuggets are f***ing idiot. You don't tell George Karl (whether he deserved coach of the year or not this year) that you won't extend his deal if he's interested. He's right to tell them to f*** off.

Lord save us if the Clippers hire the man.

I don't understand the massive love for George Karl.

Is he a very good coach? Yes, but the man has never won a ring.

He had Melo and Billups and didn't get to the finals. He got upset this year. It seems like he can help his teams exceed expectations in the regular season, but doesn't seal the deal in the playoffs.

Maybe it's time they mixed it up.