New to the forum

Joxer_Daly

Hello all.

I'm a new poster to the forum, just registered on Sunday, thought I'd say hello. I'm from Ireland, born and living in Dublin. Up until recently, my sporting passions were Dublin Gaelic Football and Celtic Football (soccer ;) ) Club. I'm a season ticket holder with Celtic and travel over to Scotland for most of their home games and some away trips, as well as travelling all over Ireland supporting Dublin.

I have now also added the White Sox to my sporting interests. Up until a few months ago I had never even watched a game of baseball and, outside of the basic concept of hitting and running, had no real knowledge of the rules. However, over that period, I have really developed an interest and better understanding of the game, opting to support the White Sox. I'm still very much a novice in terms of knowledge about the game, but derive great enjoyment from watching it.

I look forward to exploring the forum more and engaging with and learning from the discussions about all things White Sox.

:gosox3: :headbang

Joxer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Can I ask what drew you to this team in particular?

Good question. Why does an Irish guy that has only followed baseball for a few months and has never even been to the States develop an allegiance to the Sox?

As Quinarvy hits on above, I was curious if there were any MLB teams with any Irish connections over the years. A pal of mine that lived in Chicago for a few years directed me towards the White Sox (I don't know too much about the extent of this connection, but intend to explore the earlier history of the team as part of my overall Soxification!!!). He also portrayed our city rivals as yuppies with delusions of grandeur, so that edged my allegiance ever-closer to the Southsiders. Surprisingly, this guy is Sox fan himself! Also, these points aside, even before developing my interest in baseball, the name Chicago White Sox would've carried some sort of iconic or romantic resonance to my mind - possibly for as simple a reason as the featuring of the character of Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams, for example - without quite knowing why.

So, it's a random combination of (i) some sort of Irish connection, (ii) my pal being a fan, (iii) us being the good guys with our city rivals being up themselves, and (iv) some prior positive identification with the name.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:58 AM)
Hello all.

I'm a new poster to the forum, just registered on Sunday, thought I'd say hello. I'm from Ireland, born and living in Dublin. Up until recently, my sporting passions were Dublin Gaelic Football and Celtic Football (soccer ;) ) Club. I'm a season ticket holder with Celtic and travel over to Scotland for most of their home games and some away trips, as well as travelling all over Ireland supporting Dublin.

I have now also added the White Sox to my sporting interests. Up until a few months ago I had never even watched a game of baseball and, outside of the basic concept of hitting and running, had no real knowledge of the rules. However, over that period, I have really developed an interest and better understanding of the game, opting to support the White Sox. I'm still very much a novice in terms of knowledge about the game, but derive great enjoyment from watching it.

I look forward to exploring the forum more and engaging with and learning from the discussions about all things White Sox.

:gosox3: :headbang

Joxer.

Whiskey shot!

Joxer, do you guys have many games televised over there?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Good question. Why does an Irish guy that has only followed baseball for a few months and has never even been to the States develop an allegiance to the Sox?

As Quinarvy hits on above, I was curious if there were any MLB teams with any Irish connections over the years. A pal of mine that lived in Chicago for a few years directed me towards the White Sox (I don't know too much about the extent of this connection, but intend to explore the earlier history of the team as part of my overall Soxification!!!). He also portrayed our city rivals as yuppies with delusions of grandeur, so that edged my allegiance ever-closer to the Southsiders. Surprisingly, this guy is Sox fan himself! Also, these points aside, even before developing my interest in baseball, the name Chicago White Sox would've carried some sort of iconic or romantic resonance to my mind - possibly for as simple a reason as the featuring of the character of Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams, for example - without quite knowing why.

So, it's a random combination of (i) some sort of Irish connection, (ii) my pal being a fan, (iii) us being the good guys with our city rivals being up themselves, and (iv) some prior positive identification with the name.

I love this guy.

Welcome aboard! The internet has many answers, but if you have any Sox questions definitely hit us all up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Whiskey shot!

Joxer, do you guys have many games televised over there?

My laptop recently shuffled off this mortal coil, so for Sox games I'm limited to whatever is shown on ESPN which unfortunately seems to be fairly infrequent.

My Sony station has internet radio, though. I was wondering are there any Chicago radio channels that do regular coverage of our games that I might be able to listen to from over here?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I love this guy.

Welcome aboard! The internet has many answers, but if you have any Sox questions definitely hit us all up.

Thanks. I do actually have one burning question at the moment - what's the story with the red Sunday uniforms?

I googled it and I get that it's a retro throwback to 1972, but I'm curious as to why the team came to be wearing red uniforms during the early 70s in the first place.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
My laptop recently shuffled off this mortal coil, so for Sox games I'm limited to whatever is shown on ESPN which unfortunately seems to be fairly infrequent.

My Sony station has internet radio, though. I was wondering are there any Chicago radio channels that do regular coverage of our games that I might be able to listen to from over here?

MLB Radio

MLB TV

Links to the radio and television subscriptions. They give you access to any game you want

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Thanks. I do actually have one burning question at the moment - what's the story with the red Sunday uniforms?

I googled it and I get that it's a retro throwback to 1972, but I'm curious as to why the team came to be wearing red uniforms during the early 70s in the first place.

The White Sox current black look has been around since the early 90s.

Before that, well, they've had an interesting history when it comes to uniforms.

This is a good read about the uniform history. Click on the hyperlinks to see images.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)

The Sox have a long history of differing logos and color schemes. It has become a recent tradition to feature one of these styles on Sunday home games. Mostly it is to increase merchandise sales.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
The White Sox current black look has been around since the early 90s.

Before that, well, they've had an interesting history when it comes to uniforms.

This is a good read about the uniform history. Click on the hyperlinks to see images.

Jaysus! Mental!!! I love it. :lol:

I only got to scan that article, but some of those examples are, well... WOW!

Will have a closer look when I'm back in work tomorrow.

I always just presumed that the black and white would have been a constant.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
MLB Radio

MLB TV

Links to the radio and television subscriptions. They give you access to any game you want

Thanks. Are they not for through your computer, though? Which leads back to the initial problem of my recently departed laptop. :crying

Thanks anyway though. :thumbsup:

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
Jaysus! Mental!!! I love it. :lol:

I only got to scan that article, but some of those examples are, well... WOW!

Will have a closer look when I'm back in work tomorrow.

I always just presumed that the black and white would have been a constant.

Yeah, it has been for around 20 years now. They've worn them since I was born at least.

It's really the only uniform in their history that isn't terrible, other than the '59 uniforms. Although the old ones certainly look worse considering the current one is so classic looking.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Thanks. Are they not for through your computer, though? Which leads back to the initial problem of my recently departed laptop. :crying

Thanks anyway though. :thumbsup:

Also work on PS3 and some phones.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Also work on PS3 and some phones.

I've no PS and if you saw the state of my phone. My wife drifts off several feet away from me when I make a call on it!!!

Nevermind. Was just thinking if any local Chicago stations covered the games that I might pick them up through the facility on my Sony centre. Sure, hopefully I'll be getting a replacement laptop soon enough.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
I've no PS and if you saw the state of my phone. My wife drifts off several feet away from me when I make a call on it!!!

Nevermind. Was just thinking if any local Chicago stations covered the games that I might pick them up through the facility on my Sony centre. Sure, hopefully I'll be getting a replacement laptop soon enough.

They aren't allowed to play broadcasts of sporting events on-line because the exclusive rights belong to MLB Radio.