Red Sox vs White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
literal question marks?

should be literal unknowns or TBA

Although Axelrod, Humber and Quintana are pretty close to each representing real question marks, lol.

Then there's the question mark of how long Sale can go this season...and whether Peavy can pitch nearly as well in the 2nd half as he did the first.

Youk returns to Fenway as member of White Sox

By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 7/15/2012 7:52 PM ET

Comments (153)

Youkilis, Ventura on excitement about new addition

There was a stir at Dodger Stadium in 2010, when the Yankees came to Hollywood for an Interleague series. Joe Torre, the ex-Yankees skipper then managing the Dodgers, was greeting his old guys around the cage. But New York's Alex Rodriguez wasn't there waiting with his hand out -- it took until the final game of the series for a public display of reconciliation.

The Red Sox and White Sox could play each other now through the end of the season, and you probably still wouldn't get to see much interaction between Kevin Youkilis and Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. This is Bobby Jenks and Ozzie Guillen territory.

Youkilis, the former Red Sox third baseman who was traded to the White Sox, returns to Fenway Park for the first time on Monday, 22 days after he was dealt in part because of his strained relationship with Valentine. Boston and Chicago play the first game of four at Fenway Park.

"I got nothing about any of that stuff," Youkilis said Sunday. "I'm over all the Boston thing this year. There's a lot of great past history, but this year I'm focused on the White Sox."

Said Valentine on Sunday of their relationship following an April disagreement: "I have no idea. It's whatever he wanted it to be. Like I said, we didn't have a strained relationship in Spring Training, and I wasn't around last year."

Not all is sour, though. Youkilis said Sunday he thinks the fans who were behind him for most of nine seasons in Boston will probably cheer him, at least for Monday.

"Probably a good reaction," Youkilis said. "But after the first day, they don't want me to do well playing against your team. So you never know what you are going to get. I think it will be a good reception.

"It will be different. It will be a different feeling, different dugout and all that stuff. Different emotions, but you have to bear down and really focus. I think once the game starts, that's all you really play for. It's what the game brings you. A lot of people there will be cheering me on and some people won't be. But that's the way it is in sports."

Youkilis also put out a letter to fans that was published Sunday on ESPNBoston.com. Youkilis said he thought the letter wasn't going to come out until Monday, but its message remained -- he owes a lot to his time in Boston.

"You know, I'm looking forward to seeing some people," Youkilis said. "It will be good to see some players I played with and people that have been around that city. It will be good to see some people and some friends that live there, and a few friends I made for a lifetime. So it will be good to hang out with them and enjoy it."

White Sox: With Floyd scratched, Axelrod in

Right-hander Gavin Floyd has forearm and elbow soreness in his throwing arm and was examined in Chicago on Sunday. An MRI found no structural damage, but tendinitis will keep him from making Monday's scheduled start.

Dylan Axelrod, another righty, gets the start in his place. Axelrod threw two scoreless innings and 31 pitches in relief on Friday.

This isn't the first time the White Sox have had injury troubles in the rotation this season.

"One thing after another it is," manager Robin Ventura said. "But again, it's part of having a long season. You're always having stuff like that."

http://www.mlb.com

Love Ventura's understated response about injuries, soft-pedaling the plethora of rookie pitchers and issues with nearly every starter at some point or another this season, except for PEAVY. Ozzie would manage to twist it into an act of modern-day martyrhood to have his team still in contention in the same scenario.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Did everyone see the Ozzie/Bryce Harper nonsense?

Oh my...so glad he's gone far away from this team.

He's the definition of a toxic personality

Not sure why this is related to the game thread, but... what happened?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Any word of a lineup? Paul Konerko playing?

He better start hitting if we want to have any shot of scoring more than 4 runs

Normal everyday lineup

ADA

Youk

Dunn

PK

Rios

AJP

Tank

Alexei

Gordo

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
So if he gets released by Boston, do the Sox pick him back up to replace Hudson?

Youk back same day Lilly may get cut...........means Youk for Stewart................epic Boston fail.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Floyd doesn't think he'll land on DL. confirms he's out for Fenway series, tho.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Danks "giddy" after throwing from 90 feet. Floyd doubts he'll pitch Wed., believes he'll avoid DL

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Danks "giddy" after throwing from 90 feet. Floyd doubts he'll pitch Wed., believes he'll avoid DL

Giddy is good. Giddy-up.

Would be good but I kinda want to see more John Danks at bats...he's been making contact

I'd LOVE to see more John Danks at bats this year, cause that would mean he's pitching in an NL park in the World Series.

For some reason, I think Ventura:

1) Doesn't want to mess with the current chemistry by cutting Hudson and values his "leadership/presence/experience"

2) Doesn't really like Lillibridge much as a player

3) And with Youk, we have another 1B to substitute over there when we PR for Dunn/Konerko

Charlotte would be fine. Not sure if he'll get picked up on a major league deal or not. Gordon would be happy to be reunited with his bud, obviously.

FWIW, Pedroia's supposed to be back THUR. Unfortunately, we now have to deal with Middlebrooks and Ellsbury and Crawford, although Carl & Valentine might get booed as often as YOUK and Francona get cheered.

Edited by caulfield12