Yellowstone National Park

Texsox

After a week in Yellowstone I must say what an amazing place. We saw grizzly bear, elk, antelope, sheep, bison, martin's, wild flowers, stunning vistas from valley to mountains. Ate some great food, camp in some great spots. What I can't understand is why they spend so much time on silly geysers, old volcanoes, weird geo-thermal pools, hot springs, and on and on. Who finds this interesting? (just kidding Balta). Once again I keep thinking I'm going to have to take Balta on my vacations to "learn me something".

I am a huge National Parks fan. From Acadia to Big Bend. This trip we have visited Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain (plus some other NPS sites) and will also stop in Guadalupe, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend. The facilities range from excellent to primitive. The employees (yes those government types we like to complain about) range from awesome to mearly great.

The altitude is kicking my ass. The drive through Rocky Mountain National Park scared the s*** out of me. I prefer beaches to cliffs that drop off 5,000 feet less than 18" from my car tires.

Only got to spend one night in Yellowstone but loved it.

Other National Parks I've had the enjoyment of visiting:

Grand Canyon

Hot Springs

Rocky Mountain

Everglades

Mammoth Cave

Great Smoky Mountains

Arches

National Monuments:

Devil's Tower

Fort McHenry

Little Bighorn

Sonoran Desert

Loved Yellowstone, been there a couple of times. this spring my oldest daughter and I drove down to spring training. The Oregon coast was awesome. We spent a day at Joshua Tree National Park in California and I really loved that. Coming back from spring training we saw numerous national monuments and national parks among them, Montezuma Castle, El Morro National Monument (really cool!), Petroglyph National Mon. in New Mexico (a day out of the way, but worth it), Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion and Bryce Canyon. It was a great trip. My daughter took about 4,000 pictures (not kidding!). There was one spot in southern Utah where we drove up a winding road on the side of a mountain with a cliff like you described, Tex. This was a narrow gravel road. I was really scared and would never do that again.

Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are on my List to visit.

Sadly, the only National Park that I've been to is Carlsbad Caverns. Pretty awesome site. I must increase this list.

I've been to many state parks (Sandia Peak in New Mexico, plus some Texas State Parks). Garner SP is my favorite in TX.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
I covered Acadia, Shenandoah, and most of the Blue Ridge Parkway on this most recent trip, in addition to the National Mall and the historic districts in downtown Philadelphia which the Park Service also manages.

I saw your pics from Acadia. I love that place.

I just got back from a week in the Black Hills/Custer State Park/Rushmore/Deadwood area. Though this is the fourth time I've been there. It's good to get out on the road once in a while and away from the City life.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:26 AM)
I just got back from a week in the Black Hills/Custer State Park/Rushmore/Deadwood area. Though this is the fourth time I've been there. It's good to get out on the road once in a while and away from the City life.

I love that area and the Badlands are awesome too.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
I love that area and the Badlands are awesome too.

Stopped there, too...but like I said, this was probably my fourth time in the area...I love that area.

RMNP is also a nice area.

All of our national parks/forests are excellent. I wish they had more funding, however.

This trip we covered Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain (f*** the road from Grand Lake to Estes, never again), Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe, and Big Bend. I received a job offer from the school in Big Bend. Four teachers, 20+- students. They needed

4-8 grade Generalist (check)

ELA / History emphasis (check)

ESL Cert (check)

Cross Country coach (check)

Included is a 3 bedroom home in Big Bend for $460 per month rent. Basically the school is for NPS personnel, Border Patrol, and a few concessionaire kids. If circumstances were different I would consider it. Living in my favorite National Park would be cool.

In the past couple years we have toured the Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah, Smokey Mountains, and Acadia. We've become Passport stamp junkies. Next year we are thinking Civil War sites or Utah for our summer vacation. I am also looking onto a teacher/ranger/teacher program that is active in a few parks.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
The altitude is kicking my ass. The drive through Rocky Mountain National Park scared the s*** out of me. I prefer beaches to cliffs that drop off 5,000 feet less than 18" from my car tires.

When I was young we took a bus tour through Europe. I retroactively s*** my pants every time I think about some of the mountainous roads and terrain that our sleep-deprived driver navigated through at night, in rainy weather, and so on... I also remember that he was fond of the drink during dinnertime.